Notices

Hi From Newbie

Old 01-30-2016, 10:28 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Hi From Newbie

Hi there everyone. After having a look around the site it seems really positive and helpful and you guys seem really supportive so I've joined the club! Maybe my experiences can maybe help out others too who knows?

Just to introduce myself a wee bit, I'm 36 and have had problems with alcohol for around 10 years now I guess. I have stopped a couple of times previously due to alcohol induced Pancreatitis, slipped up, but have been sober since Hogmany now and I'm feeling confident and more ready than before, especially with a dry January almost under my belt.

Anyway looking forward to chatting with some of you and getting involved. All the best !
Old 01-30-2016, 11:10 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome NB- well done on almost a month!!! That's fantastic!!

Stay close to SR.. its such a great support network. Goodluck and nice to meet you X
Old 01-30-2016, 11:18 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family. You'll find lots of support here.
Old 01-30-2016, 11:19 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome aboard NB - congrats on your sober time too

D
Old 01-30-2016, 11:23 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Welcome. I'm about your age and drank for about 10 years. I also had to stop because of health problems directly caused by alcohol.
Old 01-30-2016, 11:23 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hi Newbie! Welcome to SR! I just came back after years of being away, and I can tell you this is a great place with great people from all over the world who would like to help you in anyway they can.
Old 01-30-2016, 11:29 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Hillbilly Girl

Glad your here & great going on a sober January!!
Old 01-30-2016, 11:32 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hi & Welcome NBStyles
Old 01-31-2016, 03:59 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Blue Belt

Welcome NB,

Around 10 years of drinking, then quitting, seems to be a number I see often.

I bet that is about the time it takes for booze to really start to disrupt the body.s chemistry.

I am pretty sure I quit once around 10 years boozing as well. I didn't have the internet to educate me on the full effects of booze back then.

This place and Google have helped me to be in the know regarding this poison that is sold legally everywhere in the world.

Now that my brain has been clean for nearly 9 months, normal feels altered. That is part of my craving. The AV calls to me. Have a few snorts and you will feel normal. No way. I don't believe the hype.

Moderation is a prison. I am on parole. Born again clean for life.

Proudly sober.
Old 01-31-2016, 04:26 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Do your best

Welcome NbStyles
Old 01-31-2016, 03:27 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Thanks a lot guys!

I'm getting a bit more used to using the site now so hope to get involved a bit more

If it's ok I would like to share some more of my story - to get a better chance of help for myself and hopefully maybe help others who can relate. And also share some concerns I have about the damage to my body, staying abstinent and some of the effects I have had and am having now after being sober for January.

Anyway if that's ok should I just post in here or make another thread ? Thanks again for making me feel welcome everyone
Old 01-31-2016, 03:34 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Welcome NB! It's great to meet you.

Posting your story here is fine. We're here to help in any way we can.
Old 01-31-2016, 03:39 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Blue Belt

Nb,

You get more direct feedbeek if you start your own thread.

I tend to chime in on other threads, not so much for advice, more to vent.

I don't get direct feedback when I chime in, but it feels good to try to help while venting my issue that was russtled by the thread.
Old 01-31-2016, 05:37 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I've also noticed the 10 year thing with many people, including myself. I used to ask myself, well what about the people who drank for 30 years? Why do I feel so terrible every day after only 10 years? Don't I have 20 years left to drink? This is unfair!

This is just my observation but I think that the ten year thing means you went hard for 10 years, possibly daily. That was me. I pretty much started drinking daily from the beginning with ever increasing amounts of alcohol.

If you want some good news, when I stopped drinking my health problems went away. We are blessed with bodies that actually do heal in my most cases. I was diagnosed with stage 2 liver damage (alcoholic hep, I think stage 1 is alcoholic fatty liver). I had a full CT scan (drank the dye shake, had IV contrast, the whole bit) and the doctor (who had none of my health history) looked at it, said my liver looked fine. He didn't even ask if I had ever had a drinking problem.

Long story as to why he didn't have my medical history. It was a somewhat urgent CT scan. I thought I had a gallstones. There was no checklist to fill out. They just kinda whooshed me in there, quickly, and did it.

Long story short, I had done some pretty serious damage to my body at one point and it healed over time.

BTW, I had been sober for 17 months when they did it. I am not sure if I would still be alive if I had drank for 17 more months.
Old 01-31-2016, 05:40 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by D122y View Post
Welcome NB,

I bet that is about the time it takes for booze to really start to disrupt the body.s chemistry.

Proudly sober.
I started googling about alcoholism and health problems long before I stopped and I remember very clearly reading that it usually takes ten years of heavy drinking before someone develops cirrhosis. Shorter for women I think.
Old 02-01-2016, 11:55 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum NBStyles!!
Old 02-01-2016, 03:13 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Administrator

Originally Posted by NBStyles View Post
Thanks a lot guys!

I'm getting a bit more used to using the site now so hope to get involved a bit more

If it's ok I would like to share some more of my story - to get a better chance of help for myself and hopefully maybe help others who can relate. And also share some concerns I have about the damage to my body, staying abstinent and some of the effects I have had and am having now after being sober for January.

Anyway if that's ok should I just post in here or make another thread ? Thanks again for making me feel welcome everyone
Whatever you prefer NB - either way is good

Originally Posted by D122y View Post
Nb,

You get more direct feedbeek if you start your own thread.
This is NB's thread, though.....

D