Notices

Drinking dreams

Old 01-30-2016, 12:09 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Drinking dreams

I had a dream last night that I ordered a beer at a bar. (note: my alcohol of choice is wine, not beer, if that matters...) The bartender served it and told me it would cost $27. I told her I changed my mind, that it was too much money and she replied that I had already bought it and had to pay. I walked away from the beer and the bartender. "Too much to pay" obviously refers to the consequences I'd face if I took the beer. I'm glad I walked away, but I still woke up feeling weird. I've heard drinking dreams are common in early recovery. Anyone want to share theirs?
Old 01-30-2016, 12:28 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Yeap used to happen quite regularly and I'd awake with a jump, not so much now but still happen occasionally, they can be quite the ride and 'd wake up very disappointed in myself for having had a drink, and then would realise it was just a dream.

Hang in there, dreams don't case hangovers!!
Old 01-30-2016, 01:30 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Um Dia de Cada Vez

At almost 10 months sober I still have drinking dreams kind of regurlarly, every 10 days or so. I guess they act as a reminder of why we stopped drinking. What I learn about these dreams is that I can experience what a relapse feels like and why I don't need to pick up again.
Old 01-30-2016, 02:12 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

My drinking dreams are always about the quest to get a bottle, and where I am going to hide it. I never get as far as to acquire the booze, but it is within reach. I not sure what this means...I always wake up before I get my hands on it! It really is quite un-nerving when waking up. All those guilty feeling come flooding back just for a second or two...then there is a feeling of relief. I think it is a great reminder to not repeat the past.
Old 01-30-2016, 02:20 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by BlissWithin View Post
At almost 10 months sober I still have drinking dreams kind of regurlarly, every 10 days or so. I guess they act as a reminder of why we stopped drinking. What I learn about these dreams is that I can experience what a relapse feels like and why I don't need to pick up again.
Yeah im the same, i hate these dreams but im grateful to experience the feeling of how awful id feel if i drank!
Old 01-30-2016, 02:45 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

It's common to have drinking dreams. They ease up with more sober time. I have them once in a while but they don't bother me anymore. I'm just glad to wake up and realize it was only a dream.
Old 01-30-2016, 02:53 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

I can;t remember specifics now uncorked...just dreaming I drank and then waking up and realising it was a dream.

Most of my vivid dreams simply involved me wandering corridors tho...shopping malls, hotels, impossibly big old houses...not lost or anxious, just exploring

D
Old 01-30-2016, 03:02 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

My first week getting sober I had a dream about doing tequila shots out of little plastic cups with a priest. I can definitely analyze that one..
Old 01-30-2016, 03:05 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
You can have reasons, or you can have results, but you can't have both.

I surely do dream. Here was my first. It's a humdinger.

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...hilarious.html
Old 01-30-2016, 04:13 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

SoberinSyracuse, wow, that was an entertaining read! Sounds a little like being in Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, except with booze! I guess you could analyze that one a lot of different ways. Thanks for sharing.
Old 01-30-2016, 04:22 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I had a lot of relapse dreams for probably the first three months. Mine were about drinking one, maybe two, and then having to keep drinking to avoid withdrawal. No idea why they stopped, but they did. It gets better
Old 01-31-2016, 04:02 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

So last night's dream was crazy. I had a dream within a dream within a dream! I dreamed that I had a drinking dream and then woke up (in my dream) relieved that it was just a drinking dream and was telling someone about it. Then I actually woke up and couldn't figure out if I was hungover or not!
Old 01-31-2016, 04:48 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I had several in a week at about the 6 or 7 month maker, was worried it might mean impending relapse, it didn't.
Folks here were very reassuring, they are just dreams. Strange, odd, maybe a little disturbing, but just dreams.
Be well.
xx
Old 01-31-2016, 05:36 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I had a dream where I was out and wasn't paying attention in my dream and drank a bud-light (it was in a glass). I was super upset since I had ruined my sober streak for a bud light.

I was a beer drinker, but bud light was not high on my tier of beers.