Notices

Stuck in a trap

Old 01-29-2016, 10:57 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Stuck in a trap

Drink .. try not to drink for a few days .. repeat. I've read a lot on this site, read the links from Dee about a plan.. but keep on drinking. My record is 4 days without a drink.

Drinking at the moment but obviously not enjoying it or I wouldn't have thought to come here.

Don't know what to do.. I see the people who have succeeded here are indeed happy, but I seem to lack the resolve to get to the point of being happy in sobriety.
Old 01-29-2016, 10:59 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

For right now, take it one day at a time.

I'm not going to spend a lot of time on this since you're drinking - but really it is as simple as getting up every morning and committing to not drinking that day no matter what. One day at a time we recover.

There are many of us who have done it, you can too.

This is a trap to which you have the key. You are in a self-made prison.
Old 01-29-2016, 11:06 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

You need some sober time for your head to clear and your brain to start functioning normally. Alcohol is a depressant so your thinking while drinking isn't too good.

Don't drink, just for today. Do it again tomorrow. The longer you are sober, the better you will feel.
Old 01-29-2016, 11:08 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Such a waste of a day .. so many things I could be doing. But I drink and then sleep and the day is over.
Old 01-29-2016, 11:09 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

The short term pleasure overpowers the long term pain .. playing the tape forward works in the first day or 2 .. but then stops working.
Old 01-29-2016, 11:11 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

If you can't stop drinking on your own, you need to remove yourself from the opportunity to drink.

Rehab should give you the time to detox and the building blocks of recovery to get you started on the road to sobriety.

Is that an option?
Old 01-29-2016, 11:14 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hi carl,

I am out of work. Laid off. Drank too much when I was working .. but had days when I didn't drink. Now I drink everyday unless I'm trying to quit. No money to spend on a rehab unless I can find one that has a free care program.
Old 01-29-2016, 11:17 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Originally Posted by Grendhar View Post
Hi carl,

I am out of work. Laid off. Drank too much when I was working .. but had days when I didn't drink. Now I drink everyday unless I'm trying to quit. No money to spend on a rehab unless I can find one that has a free care program.
Salvation Army.
Old 01-29-2016, 11:17 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I know when I've been sober reading SoberRecovery, I've been annoyed when someone would post in while drinking.. I know I'll fall asleep before I go off the deep end posting wise.
Old 01-29-2016, 11:29 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Feel ridiculous for ever getting stuck into this problem. My father was a severe alcoholic .. he was able to break free 6 years ago. But while he was active I never understood. I thought he was a bad guy, I felt like he should "Just not drink" and when he would I blamed him. Now as an alcoholic myself, I know "Just don't drink" is not good advice, at least in the early stages of recovery.
Old 01-29-2016, 11:53 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Feel ridiculous for ever getting stuck into this problem. My father was a severe alcoholic .. he was able to break free 6 years ago. But while he was active I never understood. I thought he was a bad guy, I felt like he should "Just not drink" and when he would I blamed him. Now as an alcoholic myself, I know "Just don't drink" is not good advice, at least in the early stages of recovery.
"Just don't drink," is good advice. It is the only advice.

If you can't do that, then get into rehab or at least AA.
Old 01-29-2016, 11:57 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Just don't drink is simplistic advice for those early in recovery. If it were just that simple there would be no need for A.A or SoberRecovery in general. We are people who find just not drinking a challenge.
Old 01-29-2016, 12:10 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
You can have reasons, or you can have results, but you can't have both.

I don't believe in trying things over and over if they're not working.

If you've tried to quit on your own and you keep going back, it's time to take a different approach. Time to go to detox or rehab. Free or low cost, or just have them bill you and worry about it later.

'Cuz drinking is a death sentence so obviously that's a lot more important than money.
Old 01-29-2016, 12:36 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

If you have money to spend on alcohol you can find money to pay to get sober. How'd your Dad get sober? Is he a support for you?
Old 01-29-2016, 01:07 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Hoping, resolving, wishing and willpower never worked for me, as you mentioned a plan is the advice most commonly given here on SR, and that's because it works.

I couldn't do it on my own, so daily support built into my day was a must, whether checking into SR, meetings, whatever it is, something to keep a daily focus on your Day 4 and beyond.

Next I had to make some radical decisions about what activities I got involved in and what people to hang out with, alcohol I discovered doesn't buy itself, I could if I put my mind to it, some physical barriers, even more support, not buy alcohol, and if that meant sitting in my house in the evenings then that got me further than Day 4!!

Nothing changes if nothing changes, I found that out over a year going round in circles, instead we have to make Sobriety happen with our choices, changing up our routines, or activities, and some radical decision making!!

You can do this!!
Old 01-29-2016, 02:39 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I've read a lot on this site, read the links from Dee about a plan.. but keep on drinking. ... I seem to lack the resolve to get to the point of being happy in sobriety.
You say you read the links. Did you actually make a plan?

I can't help wondering what your expectations are, do you mind me asking? This may be off, but I get the impression that the time that needs to elapse between drinking and feeling happy in sobriety might be a sort of un-thought out limbo for you. Without a structure and some resources in there, it's going to be very hard.

In my humble opinion it isn't just about resolve. It's also about strategy.
Old 01-29-2016, 02:47 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

AA doesn't cost anything.

Every meeting I go to they pass a basket and people throw in a buck, never anymore than that. Some people can't afford that, and they just pass the basket. That's ok too.

The only requirement for AA is a desire to stop drinking.
Old 01-29-2016, 02:50 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

How come you stopped going to meetings. You said in your previous thread that they helped you.

I'd suggest getting yourself to a meeting asap.
Old 01-29-2016, 02:58 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
mav
just keep swimming

Just don't drink is simplistic advice for those early in recovery.
I agree and disagree. Disagree because at the root of it all that is literally what you have to and all you have to do. Just don't drink.

I agree with you that it's simplistic and not as easy as saying it. To make sobriety work you need a real commitment to it and most people find that at a distinct and obvious point. Sometimes it's a traumatic event, sometimes it's a court order, sometimes it's just a lightbulb moment. If you haven't had that moment yet then SR is a good place to be to help you understand your position and get to that moment.
Old 01-29-2016, 04:05 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
My brain is trying to kill me

Alcohol is Cunning, Baffling, Powerful, and Patient

Most of us must be willing to go to ANY LENGTH to become and remain sober; that means doing things that we may not want, like, or think could work, and doing them more than once.

Most of us can't do that until we reach bottom; that place of INCOMPREHENSIBLE DEMORALIZATION, only then DO we become willing to go to ANY LENGTH.

Welcome to SR; it's not likely you'll find another place like this on the Web, information, resources, fellowship.