Notices

Is it depression or just recovery?

Old 01-29-2016, 09:54 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Is it depression or just recovery?

I'm 34 days sober. Some days I feel good, but most days I feel like I'm stuck in a deep dark hole.

I'm in the process of cleaning up the messes that I made while I was a drunk... Finances, health, etc. I do have hope for the future, which I haven't had in years. I'm pushing forward and making slow progress.

I just feel like over all I should feel much better.

Is this common?

The positive in all this is that I know drinking isn't an option and will only add to the problem.

Old 01-29-2016, 10:42 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Early recovery can be a bumpy ride at times. With more sober time things should settle down. Just don't drink, no matter what!
Old 01-29-2016, 10:46 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Sober Alcoholic

It could be a bit of both.

In early sobriety people often feel a lack of pleasure in doing many activities. This often because they were pumping feel-good substances into their bodies for so long that it is taking time for their physiology to adjust.

Sometimes people were depressed and self medicating.

If the depression continues it would be a good idea to seek out a mental health professional.
  # 4 (permalink)  

It can and probably is a mixture of both.

When you are drunk all the time your brain starts taking that as normal. Then when you get sober, your brain isnt quite sure what to do. It takes a while for everything to start firing correctly in your brain. Might take a month, might take a year. But you will eventually start to see it getting better and better.

Might be a good idea to talk to your doc about wellbutrin or another anti depressant. They help a lot.
  # 5 (permalink)  

it's only been a month on the sober trail......and it's a TALL mountain! don't lose hope, just ratchet in the desire to be WELL ALREADY DAMMIT!

cleaning up the wreckage can seem like such an ominous task. break it down into small manageable bits. baby steps. as long as you keep putting one sober foot in front of the other and doing the next wise thing, all will be well1
Old 01-29-2016, 10:47 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Do your best

If it persists then maybe book a Dr apt
Old 01-29-2016, 12:42 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Day 34 is fantastic!!

Keep pushing through, for me with more time things got better!!
Old 01-29-2016, 12:55 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
zjw

The positive in all this is that I know drinking isn't an option and will only add to the problem.
thats such an important statement.

But yeah could be depression. I had very bad anxiety. never really thought i was depressed but the 2 do go hand in hand. I started taking a supplement that helped with depression and it helped my anxiety i was like what gives i'm not depressed why od i feel better my wife laughed said your the most depressed person i know!. But depression does that for me anyhow it sneaks up on me on day i'm ok next day i've been in a pit of despaire for a decadea nd had no idea.

congrats on the 34 days thats awesome.
Old 01-29-2016, 03:57 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
You can have reasons, or you can have results, but you can't have both.

Congrats on over a month! But I wouldn't jump to any conclusions this early. Especially not anything about clinical depression.

Like you, I'm also spending a lot of time cleaning up the mess. It's tedious and frustrating and yes sometimes a little depressing. We've been through a major crisis and change, and we have a pile of bills waiting for us.

My challenge is in finding new activities to add fun and pleasure back into life. How are you doing on that front? Do you have things you like to do, and can look forward to? These would be my suggestions: Don't draw any conclusions just yet, be patient, and look for some little goodies that will add joy to your days.
Old 01-29-2016, 04:09 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

None of us can diagnose you here.

If you have a history of depression that predates drinking it's a good idea to check in with your DR.

If you have no previous history, you could wait it out if that's what you want to do - if its really debilitating tho thats another vote for the Dr from me illi

D
Old 01-29-2016, 04:17 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

There's lots of good advice here, so I will just add that I hope things improve you soon, and good job on your sober time.
Old 01-30-2016, 04:54 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Its very common. Early recovery is an emotional rollercoaster and depression is part of it.

For me, therapy and AA, exercise and patience, self-care and gratitide were the tools that helped immensely as I navigated the sadness and emotional volatility of the first year. The second year was much better. I also have learned in sobriety that I have a mild case of seasonal depression which I have found a SAD light, supplements and exercise to be very helpful for
Old 01-30-2016, 05:55 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Sobriety forces a person to deal with the stark reality of the messes he or she has made. It's humbling. Progress on cleaning up should improve your outlook, but it will take time.
Old 01-30-2016, 04:44 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Administrator

How are you doing Illi?

D