Notices

Situational Alcoholism... New Term?

Old 01-30-2016, 06:23 PM
  # 61 (permalink)  

Hi SoberRunner!

I really relate to your thought processes....I hope this helps:

Don't waste any more time thinking, and start doing.

The moment I realized I don't have to officially be an alcoholic to NEED to stop drinking, that set me free. Yes, it meant I gave up the "beloved" alcohol....but you will find....

You actually are clinging to what is causing your problems. Alcohol is not the cure, it turns up the volume on negative issues. Our addictive voice LIES to us and says alcohol helps as an escape or to numb.....

But when you stop drinking. ...you'll start seeing that alcohol was perpetuating everything negative in life!

It's a depressant. It dawned on me one day, no wonder my life is worse the more I provide a depressant to my system! But the addictive voice makes this hard to see.

Please stop analyzing the am i an alcoholic question. I did that for years and it was a HUGE barrier for me .

Some people stop drinking because they choose to be healthy and not have the toxins and sugars in their system. For them, they simply put it down. I was not able to do that, therefor I have a drinking problem.

I have a drinking problem and am also an alcoholic. Maybe you just have a drinking problem. Guess what though? Answer is still the same. Stop.

Oh and you will find after you stop drinking that things in your life start looking brighter.

A good reason to provide to friends is that you are stopping drinking to get healthier. And over time the alcoholic question will answer itself.

Last edited by SportsFan15; 01-30-2016 at 06:26 PM. Reason: Misleading reference to gradual quitting
Old 01-30-2016, 06:36 PM
  # 62 (permalink)  
30 Days & Under Club

Originally Posted by SportsFan15 View Post
Hi SoberRunner! I really relate to your thought processes....I hope this helps: Don't waste any more time thinking, and start doing. The moment I realized I don't have to officially be an alcoholic to NEED to stop drinking, that set me free. Yes, it meant I gave up the "beloved" alcohol....but you will find.... You actually are clinging to what is causing your problems. Alcohol is not the cure, it turns up the volume on negative issues.
Hi Sports Fan, Glad to hear you relate to me... I'll try to stop overthinking things, and, based on my previous sober time I know drinking is causing my current issues but I feel like I'm 'stuck'; stuck as in, I may say I'm not going to drink one day then I get stressed and just and up drinking. It's a crazy cycle!
Old 01-31-2016, 06:06 AM
  # 63 (permalink)  
30 Days & Under Club

I can't remember who suggested it but I'm reading rational revovery right now... I hope it helps me understand why I tend to 'flip flop' with the decision to stay sober, long-term.

Thank you for the suggestion!
Old 01-31-2016, 06:28 AM
  # 64 (permalink)  
Quit 4/17/15

Originally Posted by SoberRunner View Post
I can't remember who suggested it but I'm reading rational revovery right now... I hope it helps me understand why I tend to 'flip flop' with the decision to stay sober, long-term. Thank you for the suggestion!
Check out the website of his, rational.org I believe it is. There is a ten minute tour that explains the AV clearly and helped me quit. The book is ok but spends a lot of time bashing AA. I did not use AA but I feel anything that helps someone quit drinking shouldn't be knocked too hard. Good luck!
Old 01-31-2016, 08:10 AM
  # 65 (permalink)  
30 Days & Under Club

Originally Posted by stargazer016 View Post
Check out the website of his, rational.org I believe it is. There is a ten minute tour that explains the AV clearly and helped me quit. The book is ok but spends a lot of time bashing AA. I did not use AA but I feel anything that helps someone quit drinking shouldn't be knocked too hard. Good luck!
Oh, I meant I was reading his website...

@tour: Is that the same as the crash course I see on the site?
Old 01-31-2016, 10:11 AM
  # 66 (permalink)  

Hi sober. I'm a runner as well. I remember in horror the thought of going on a 20 mile training run with a terrible hangover... Dehydrated and head pounding and feeling like death. I never have to do that again. Look, there is nothing magic in those bottles. Alcohol does absolutely nothing positive for you. I've yet to meet anyone that becomes a better person by drinking alcohol. In fact, drinkers bore me and I do my best to not spend too much time in their company. I love running sober and free. In fact I just ran 12 miles this morning and it was fantastic.