Notices

How do you get out of this cycle ?

Old 01-28-2016, 12:30 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

How do you get out of this cycle ?

First of all thank you for all of you out there ....
I have had failed quitting attempts ... quit for 4 days and then get back binge for another 4 days , feel tired and disgusted at what I'm doing and go back quitting and within matter of few days , I pick up the bottle again. How can I get out of this cycle ...it's draining my energy ...
Old 01-28-2016, 12:33 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

It's very hard to get out of the cycle and I remember it well. I was losing everything - my family, my health and my self-esteem so I took a leap of faith and held firm to the belief that I could recover. You can too.
Old 01-28-2016, 12:41 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Do your best

Welcome Tangent

Having a plan of sober action will help massively

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...ful-links.html
Old 01-28-2016, 12:51 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
You can have reasons, or you can have results, but you can't have both.

Have you wrapped your head around the idea that you need to quit-quit? Not cut back or moderate, but quit?

If you read through a bunch of these threads, you'll see many people caught in a "cycle" like the one you describe. They're usually quitting for a little while, then rationalizing "I can just have one or two." Then they're off on a binge again.

The strongest position to start from is committing to quit-quit. From there, you seek out things and people (like this forum) who can support you. And you make a plan for how you're going to resist cravings, and stay out of situations where you'll be very tempted to drink.

Pretty simple and straightforward, but not easy. And it's impossible without the commitment to quit-quit.
Old 01-28-2016, 01:16 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

It's simple but not easy - you just don't drink. Don't have that first drink, that just starts the cycle all over again. Develop a plan to stay sober and use it faithfully.

But the number one thing is: don't drink, no matter what!
Old 01-29-2016, 12:11 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum Tangent!!
Old 01-29-2016, 12:36 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I too was, for a long time, trying to figure out how the hell I was going to manage that drinking thing. It sure wasn't like it used to be anymore, it didn't provide me with the 'best nights of my life' anymore, the bonding, the laughter... instead it kicked my ass and then had a good laugh while I was face down in the mud, like a chump. But surely there had to be a way to get this back on track, right?
And then the folks here at SR pointed me out the solution that was right in front of me, so simple that I couldn't even see it myself. I actually have the choice to not pick up another drink ever again... simple as that. It feels empowering and I don't even feel like I'm missing out on anything as my life after just a few months, though far from perfect, is already waaaay more interesting than it was near the end of my drinking career.