Notices

Keep Calm and Sober On! Weekender Jan 29

Old 01-31-2016, 04:29 PM
  # 461 (permalink)  

good to see you BigS, stay away from the stingrays...
Mesa, we did the petroglyph 'tour' on the to and leaving mesa verde, got the t-shirt...
having dinner, then a few chores, maybe a little more practice, then hot tub with a fire if she finished her tests and assignments... otherwise, family guy is on netflix...

1lb piece of venison cooked as a small roast with a little soy sauce and pepper
One carrot diced, about six garlic cloves diced, an amount of frozen peas to equal carrots, ¼ diced onions

Put all that into the dish after removing meat and put back into little toaster oven for a spell on hot as it gets.
When it smells like the house is on fire turn it off and remove it from oven. Stir in leftover rice made with ginger, stir in the meat that was diced – after I ate a few slices of course – excellent.

Has a little bite to it, but tasty…
Old 01-31-2016, 05:38 PM
  # 462 (permalink)  
Giving up is NOT an option.

Just got caught up. So much I could/should comment on. But I'll just say - I really love hearing everyone's news and adventures. I live vicariously through all of you - it's not meant to be creepy - promise!

My only adventure today was trying not to make a complete fool of myself while bowling. Did not break 100 in any of three games rolled. Worse than my usual pitiful performance. But fun anyway. None of us were very good today - there must have been 50 rug rats running amok there. Luckily we had reserved a lane, but it was difficult to concentrate with that many little ones, most not very well supervised by their boozing parents. None of us were drinking. A good, sober time was had by all.
Old 01-31-2016, 06:54 PM
  # 463 (permalink)  

I'm home from work, it was a good night :-)
I feel better, I think I just needed to get out of the house
Old 01-31-2016, 07:02 PM
  # 464 (permalink)  

MLD I'm glad you had a good time. I'm a terrible bowler. Unless I bowl with the kids with the bumpers up

Bodhi, I hope you feel better. Yuck. Is all I can say.

I'll work on renewing my passport.

Mesa, every time I turn around, someone on my Facebook thing is posting pictures of their adventures in Iceland. It is beautiful.

Son and I are currently watching TV on the couch. A rare moment of him quiet. He's laying with his head on my leg.
Old 01-31-2016, 07:03 PM
  # 465 (permalink)  

Great rib eye at the restaurant. My view was the bar, but it didn't bother me. A couple of times I thought a martini and a glass of wine would be nice....but as soon as I thought it through (in about 2 seconds ) I knew what a bad idea it would be. My steak was initially undercooked so I sent it back. ...they fixed it and....gave me another baked potatoe, took 25% off the tab, and gave me an enormous molten chocolate lava cake ala mode for free. All in all, it was an inexpensive dinner out. And delicious!
Yes, bigsombrero. ...I remember when you got stung by the sting ray. Ouch! I'm glad you stayed away from them this weekend.
Time for Downton Abby.
Old 01-31-2016, 07:16 PM
  # 466 (permalink)  

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Fireman Cat.jpg (41.3 KB, 52 views)
Old 01-31-2016, 07:24 PM
  # 467 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MesaMan View Post
Haha! That's hilarious!
Old 01-31-2016, 07:46 PM
  # 468 (permalink)  

I realized I'm an adrenaline junkie.
For some reason I didn't understand this about myself; until I started trying to dissect why I like alcohol, risky travel, dangerous men, drugs.
Its all to catch a high.
I feel I've made a breakthrough here.
Instead of spending so much time doing relaxing activities; I'm going to incorporate things like rock walls climbing, more whitewater kayaking, maybe some bungee jumping to release my pent up energy.
I'll try find a balance between calm and wild.

I wasn't drinking to cover trauma, I'm not depressed ( unless I drink)
I'm not antisocial, I was seriously trying to find my biggest motivation for substance abuse and I think a lot of it has to do with getting off my head seeking a thrill.
And to de stress and not think about my responsibilities for once.
I'm sure there's much more to this- but I'm getting there!
Old 01-31-2016, 07:49 PM
  # 469 (permalink)  

[QUOTE=MLD51;5772151]Just got caught up. So much I could/should comment on. But I'll just say - I really love hearing everyone's news and adventures. I live vicariously through all of you - it's not meant to be creepy - promise!/QUOTE]

Me, too.

Have just gotten home from a business trip. It went well. I was occupied and exhausted. But I am sober tonight, and grateful.
Old 01-31-2016, 07:50 PM
  # 470 (permalink)  

[QUOTE=BixBees505;5772343]
Originally Posted by MLD51 View Post
Just got caught up. So much I could/should comment on. But I'll just say - I really love hearing everyone's news and adventures. I live vicariously through all of you - it's not meant to be creepy - promise!/QUOTE]

Me, too.

Have just gotten home from a business trip. It went well. I was occupied and exhausted. But I am sober tonight, and grateful.
Glad to hear from you! I was thinking about where you were!
Xo
Old 01-31-2016, 08:00 PM
  # 471 (permalink)  

Buncha Adrenaline Junkies out there. The Video is not sped up.

- Go Pro Wingsuit Video -
Old 01-31-2016, 08:19 PM
  # 472 (permalink)  

Had a lot of late night drama last night with the ex over trying to set up a visit schedule with his son.

He's not going to do it. But he wanted me to babysit today. Huh? I put my foot down. I said unless you explain why you ignored me all week when I asked how he was and wanted to talk to him, and talk to me about setting up a visitation schedule, I'm not going to be used and manipulated.

It was really hard bc at least I could have had the baby today. But I felt so sick when he asked me, knowing I was going to be used when it's convenient, with no respect for my schedule, basically just stringing me along for little bits and pieces of being with the baby... I just had to say no.

I feel so guilty, like why couldn't I just take the baby so I could love him up today and reassure him? But I am really resisting how it felt to be asked to watch him today at midnight last night, and him refusing to talk about any stable visitation. It feels very wrong. It made me almost nauseous.

I know the guy is toxic for me, but is the baby suffering without me? I don't know. His dad is a good dad. Bad thinker, bad planner, lots of excuses, etc., but he takes good care of the kid. Even though at one point his behavior which is being closely watched by the baby will be absorbed into the child's character. And that scares me and breaks my heart.

I have to fight every codependent fiber in my being to not break down and be a complete doormat for my ex, just so I can be in the baby's life. And for how long would that be sustainable anyway? I am not the mother and my ex doesn't want me to be. I have no legal claim here. It's all heartstrings. I'm very attached to that little boy bc he is wonderful and was making major progress in a lot of areas.

This is really hard, and I'm melancholy.

I think I have to go no contact. Is that extreme? Or is it self preservation? Any thoughts? Thanks.
Old 01-31-2016, 08:23 PM
  # 473 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MesaMan View Post
Buncha Adrenaline Junkies out there. The Video is not sped up.

- Go Pro Wingsuit Video -
That was awesome mesa!! Don't give me ideas!!!
Old 01-31-2016, 08:27 PM
  # 474 (permalink)  

Melina: that totally sucks xoxo
I suggest no contact ( unless he'll seriously be decent and let you see the boy- which doesn't sound likely)
But of course it's completely up to you.
Old 01-31-2016, 09:33 PM
  # 475 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by LBrain View Post
good to see you BigS, stay away from the stingrays...
Mesa, we did the petroglyph 'tour' on the to and leaving mesa verde, got the t-shirt...
having dinner, then a few chores, maybe a little more practice, then hot tub with a fire if she finished her tests and assignments... otherwise, family guy is on netflix...

1lb piece of venison cooked as a small roast with a little soy sauce and pepper
One carrot diced, about six garlic cloves diced, an amount of frozen peas to equal carrots, ¼ diced onions

Put all that into the dish after removing meat and put back into little toaster oven for a spell on hot as it gets.
When it smells like the house is on fire turn it off and remove it from oven. Stir in leftover rice made with ginger, stir in the meat that was diced – after I ate a few slices of course – excellent.

Has a little bite to it, but tasty…
Wow!! That sounds so good!!!
Old 01-31-2016, 09:40 PM
  # 476 (permalink)  
EnjoyingTheJourney

Day 31 here -- definitely something to celebrate--Yay!!

However I failed miserably at keeping up with everyone and learning new names on my 1st Weekender thread- Had a super busy weekend and this thread moves FAST!

So -- THANK YOU to everyone who welcomed me and I hope to do better next time. Perhaps when more brain cells regenerate I'll be able to keep up with my Jan. class AND the Weekender.

Thank you for sharing your stories, advice and support. SR was exactly what I needed to begin this amazing Sobriety journey!

About the Calm theme --- All I can say is "What took me so long to realize alcohol only made my anxiety worse?" Staying Calm and taking time to think stressful situations through has never been easier now that I'm Sober.

Thanks again -- Catch you all next weekend! Peace & Love, B
Old 01-31-2016, 10:39 PM
  # 477 (permalink)  
That bell or bike person

Bandicoot ,
you don't have to keep up , part of the idea of the thread was just giving a space for people to post and make contact with other drunks without having to talk about "the elephant in the room", the idea that you can still get support even if it's not done in a direct way , without you having to do anything much other than saying i'm in or something small .

Sometimes in recovery i feel i have nothing to say, that's ok but it was important to say something and feel like i was showing up .

I'm glad you got through the weekend ,

m
Old 01-31-2016, 10:48 PM
  # 478 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Morning

Don't let your ex use you Melina - stick to your guns

I struggled with the wing suit video as I am scared of heights - that Uli guy is nuts

The trip west sounds exciting LB - I hope you get to go

Jsbodhi - well western Canada should be pretty good for adrenalin filled activities. I am glad you are doing well

Congratulations on a calender month bandicoot
Old 01-31-2016, 11:57 PM
  # 479 (permalink)  

Melina: hugs to you and I recommend 'detach' from this. Write down your aspirational values and stick to 'em.

I find drawing out a timeline of what I expect and want to happen 3,6,9,12,18 months from now helps keep me grounded. Focus on what you want to happen all on you.
No one else.

A plan helps!
Old 02-01-2016, 01:08 AM
  # 480 (permalink)  
Administrator

join us here for part 2

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...29-pt-2-a.html

D