Notices

Cravings after exercise?

Old 01-27-2016, 12:26 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Cravings after exercise?

Am I the only one who gets intense cravings for alcohol right after a workout? This has been happening for several years now. A few weeks ago I bought a big bottle of wine on my way home from the gym. Now, at 3 weeks sober the cravings are hitting me like a ton of bricks.

I wonder if it has anything to do with the endorphins released through exercise being similar to chemicals release when drinking? Anyone else have any ideas?
Old 01-27-2016, 12:30 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

That's never happened to me. Do you have a plan in place for when the cravings hit? Cravings are just feelings and they will pass.
Old 01-27-2016, 12:33 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Really good question. I don't have an answer for you but I too had cravings after working out.
Again, to be clear I have no idea, but my guess would be more than the endorphins it is the need for calories. Our bodies are so accustomed to receiving calories and energy from alcohol that it is the first thing that you crave when you need that.
Do you go to a fancy gym that has a juice bar or something? My guess is a smoothie or a fruit juice would knock it right out.
Old 01-27-2016, 12:43 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Least- my plan is to go straight home! Maybe I will keep a post-workout snack in the car.
Old 01-27-2016, 12:44 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Meraviglioso View Post
Do you go to a fancy gym that has a juice bar or something? My guess is a smoothie or a fruit juice would knock it right out.
That was my second thought as well, thanks for the input.
There isn't a juice bar but I will try to keep some snacks in the car and maybe play some affirmations on the drive home.
Old 01-27-2016, 12:46 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Congratulations on 3 weeks Sunflowerlife

I don't "work out" as such but I do run and have not had that problem - maybe because it is early mornings when I run.

I agree with Meraviglioso - something like a smoothie might well help. Ice cream helps me shut down cravings sometimes
Old 01-27-2016, 12:48 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Found an article and study on it! It's exactly what I thought.
http://www.medicaldaily.com/drinking...xercise-363838

"When it comes to humans, the slight high a person feels after walking out of the gym may coax their brain to search for ways to extend and enhance the feeling. This could be when they turn to a beer or glass of wine. "
Old 01-27-2016, 12:52 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

If you've bought and drank alcohol after workouts before, it's not the workout causing the craving, it's your addiction saying, "Hey, give me my fix," because it's use to getting it. Like Pavlov's dog.

Also bear in mind the things to lookout for in early recovery: HALT (hungry, angry, lonely, tired). You are probably hungry and tired after a workout. So the suggestion of loading up on healthy carbs afterwards is a good one.
Old 01-27-2016, 12:55 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I've been able to associate running with coffee. Since we get a boost in the brain from caffeine, it can work well to substitute this as a much healthier kind of association than the alcohol.
Old 01-27-2016, 01:06 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Interesting... I haven't, but I've been working out lightly. I remember last year--when I was really cutting down beer but not abstinent- that intense workouts (e.g. crossfit, HIIT) would trigger intense beer cravings. An now that I think about it - it was specifically the intense routines, not days when I did something lower key. Since I hadn't quit, I would get something volume limited (tallboy, four-pack and give my wife one) about every other time that hit.

I'll be ramping up intensity and frequency of workouts next week - so good thing to have in mind and plan for, thank you for mentioning.
Old 01-27-2016, 01:11 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
mav
just keep swimming

I get it. For me I think it's a case of my AV saying "great job in the gym tonight! You feel great! Let's celebrate - you've earned it!"

So far I've managed to replace them with protein shakes. They're great for the diet and taste good too...
Old 01-27-2016, 01:18 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I have found that good sugars, like a fruit smoothie, satisfy that exact urge after a workout.

Your body needs replenishing, and as an addict, its used to getting the bad sugars :p
Old 01-28-2016, 03:14 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by RallyAly View Post
An now that I think about it - it was specifically the intense routines, not days when I did something lower key.
This exactly- I took a yoga class yesterday and had zero cravings. I did an intense upper body workout on Monday and had crazy cravings! It is always after intense exercise. The study I posted confirms it is based on the chemicals being released in the body. Thanks for the comment!
Old 01-28-2016, 05:34 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I'm so happy to see this post! I am in the same boat! Whether it's after a mid day run or an evening barre or cardio class, the first thing I wanna do when I get home is have a glass of wine. Hard to do since I have none in the house! Lol

I know it's the addiction talking, but I try to shut it up with the "tape" and the ridiculous calories and where it's going to lead. A place I never want to return to.

Soooooooo frustrating!
Old 01-28-2016, 06:20 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I'm an avid runner, and I get intense cravings immediately after completing a registered race, but NOT after a normal solo run. I think I am conditioned to want booze after a race because I almost always went drinking with my friends after we ran. In fact, a lot of races include a post-race drink ticket with the entry fee (this now drives me crazy). The first race I did after getting sober was very difficult, because I wasn't ready for the craving. Now that I l know it's coming, I'm better prepared to ride it out. I find it usually passes after I get some food in me.

Thanks for posting the article - great read!
Old 01-28-2016, 06:31 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I'm a runner...a slow, plodding, middle-aged runner...but if I do anything more than a few miles and haven't had enough protein beforehand my blood sugar drops and I could eat the cat, given enough mayo.

Since I usually run mid-day and was a strictly evening drinker, I haven't had cravings for alcohol, but I could definitely see my body concluding that booze would give me fast sugar.

Are you getting enough protein before your workouts and have a ready alternative right after? They recommend chocolate milk for after a long distance run.

Maybe it's all these things...blood sugar, reward, habit. Addiction is one multi-faceted little buggar, isn't it?
Old 01-28-2016, 06:36 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Yes ! I get that too. I think it is as other have said I'm used to having a drink after I exercise. I also think as exercise puts you on a high having a drink then is (was) extra enjoyable. Now I just make sure I eat a decent meal after working out.
Old 01-28-2016, 09:22 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I'm not an expert on chemical dependency, but I do know that some people like to celebrate with alcohol after doing something that gives a euphoria. In my distant past I have had a beer while taking a bath after a tremendus workout and feeling that endorphin high. So yeah, people drink when they are feeling down, angry, out of sorts, whatever, but they also drink when they are in the mood to celebrate...
Old 01-28-2016, 09:53 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I'm a smoker and after working out I need to smoke. I don't get alcohol or drug cravings anymore when I'm active or around people, but smoking, it's huge, so I feel you.

Maybe it's the endorphins are just plain routine needing to be broken. I say just try doing something else post-workout to create a new ritual. Read, listen to a specific genre of music, etc.
Old 01-28-2016, 10:07 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

I never drank after going to a gym so I get no craving. I get cravings/thoughts while thinking about or doing things I use to drink with. I think that's all it is, part of your old pattern. You probably do other things that release endorphins without similar effect.

Maybe you could try running, biking or exercising at a different location. If it's practical why not trying going to a park or working out at your home? It would be an interesting experiment and I'd like to know the results.