Notices

I poured some drinks last night!

Old 01-26-2016, 11:48 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I poured some drinks last night!

Hi all, well I had my in-laws round for dinner last night and after dinner I asked them if they wanted a drink (yes I still have alcohol in the house from xmas) and they accepted, I'm not saying it was easy but I poured them both a drink and my hubby and I myself had a cranberry juice!!!
I can't believe it, I sat there watching them drink and didn't cave. So maybe I will be ok tonight as I am going out for a meal with a group of people from work and I have been worried about it as they all drink, but I think I can handle it, wish me luck anyway cos I still think it will be very hard, cos I know they will be offering me a drink but I will say no, cos I know I can do it now. And I love getting up in the morning feeling clear headed instead of the usual thick head and walking around like a zombie in the morning. My mum - in - law asked me if I was doing "dry January" and I said no gonna try for longer and see how it goes, she was a little shocked at first as I have always drunk a lot in all the years she has known me (23 years) but happy for me, so hopefully I can start telling people slowly that this is what I want to do, cos up til now I haven't really been honest with people about how serious I was taking this, but I am feeling better about it myself and think I can start telling the people around me now.
Thanks SR I couldn't have done this without the support from all you guys
Old 01-27-2016, 12:10 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Well done x
Old 01-27-2016, 12:36 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Well done ZZ and good luck with tonight, have you any plans for tonight like driving also, I did one function over Christmas where I would have usually drank (heavily) but made myself the designated driver instead, helped me in the fact I knew it wasn't an option at all anyway.

I've ticked off half of November done dry December and almost completed January and then it popped into my head last night that in fact I'm actually doing dry 2016 - fancy joining me ;-)
Old 01-27-2016, 12:41 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hey zigzagging, that sounds really positive, I am happy for you and glad to hear that you are feeling good.
I will chime in with a warning though. I also had/have those moments of "wow, my god, that was so easy!" or "I didn't even have a craving, alcohol was the last thing on my mind" "I must be cured! I can relax a bit now" Those moments of success so early on in sobriety are reason for celebration, but definitely not causes for relaxing your plan at all. I would often relax a bit after moments like that only to find myself in a mega-relapse days later. Letting my guard down just doesn't work out well. I think we will eventually get to a point where sobriety, the plan, alcohol, etc are not always in the forefront of our minds. I imagine for a lot of folks here not drinking is second nature, but I also imagine they have a lot more sober time than we do.
Best of luck at that dinner- stay strong, keep your guard up, remember how good you will feel tomorrow.
Old 01-27-2016, 12:42 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Well done on staying sober!
Old 01-27-2016, 02:17 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I have had the same experience as Meraviglioso.

That AV is wily and will use any crack in your armour.

repeat after me -- abstinence is not control, I can say no 100OO times and the first time I say yes will be the same as 100000 times ago.

Trust me on this one.
Old 01-27-2016, 06:26 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thanks all for your positive vibes, gonna stay strong, I want to do this - thats the key I think. Its for me and no one else, gotta stay positive even though I have had a crap day at work I will not have a drink tonight.
Old 01-27-2016, 06:30 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
quat

Never heard anyone say 'dang it, miss those hangovers, wish I had one now'
It's a great motivator, but that slimya$$ AV will wile away with the idea that one may be worth it, stop that thought dead in tracks! Obviously no hangover is ever worth it, but bargaining for just one isn't really just the one right ? Rootin for ya, I'm sure you will be just fine on the evening out , no debate though , ok ? you got this
Old 01-27-2016, 07:05 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Well done! I'm often at work functions where drinking is basically the point of the function (they call them manager meetings but it's more drinking than meeting) and I'm often offered a drink as there are usually numerous open bars. I always take the person up on the offer and say I would like a sparkling water with lemon. Nobody has ever questioned my choice. People judge less than we think in our heads. Also, if you don't want to start telling people you really don't have to. All you have to do is just say you don't drink if someone asks. People will figure it out naturally. Keep up the great work!