Notices

need help

Old 01-26-2016, 09:29 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Question need help

I live in Canada and I have a very close family member who is an alcoholic. she has lost her job, her licence and custody of her daughter. I think I can convince her to get help if I do what is the next step? If I can convince her to go to detox and rehab what do I do? Take her to a hospital? any help would be appreciated.
Old 01-26-2016, 09:36 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and welcome Jojobear

You posted in an administrative thread for the chat room not the chat room itself so I moved your post here. You'll get a lot more response here

If you can convince your daughter to seek help , her local Doctor may be a good first step. They should know of local rehabs etc.

You could also call this number

The National Drug and Alcohol Treatment Referral Routing Service available at 1-800-662-HELP. This service can provide you with information about treatment programs in your local community and allow you to speak with someone about alcohol problems
If you specifically want the chat room the portal is over towards the top right hand side of the page - under where it says 'welcome' (see below)

D
Attached Images
File Type: png
chat room.png (5.6 KB, 44 views)
Old 01-26-2016, 09:39 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
now's the time

I'm glad you're going to help your family member. My family helped me get into treatment and it really saved me. Hopefully she listens to you.

Unfortunately I don't know how the system works in Canada. In the US my family had to call around to different detox centers to find one that had a bed open and would take my insurance. Then while I was in the detox center (about 4 days) the staff there was able to help them find a rehab that had an opening and would be partly covered.

In Canada I'd guess it would be the same process but probably without the insurance issues? If you take her to the hospital, the ER doctors are really there just to make sure no one dies and then hand her off to the next person. So unless she's physically on the brink right now, it might be better to find a center to go to. It might actually be a good idea to do that first, so that if she says yes you can take action immediately before she changes her mind. A good response to "I guess I can try it" is "I've spoken with someone and you can start tonight/tomorrow".

Good luck. You're a good family member.
Old 01-26-2016, 11:48 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Do your best

Welcome JoJoBear
Old 01-27-2016, 12:54 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family. I'm glad you're helping your family member thru a difficult time.
Old 01-27-2016, 12:07 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum Jojobear!!
Old 01-27-2016, 12:52 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Hi Jojo bear, I am not Canadian either but I agree with Dee - her family doctor is probably the place to start - obviously if she is intoxicated and in danger then in those circumstances it should be hospital

Sending positive vibes your way
Old 01-27-2016, 01:12 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think her family dr would be the best choice.

You can also do a google search and call around to see if there is availability for detox and rehab. I hope your friend finds a place.