Notices

Odd question

Old 01-26-2016, 03:50 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Odd question

Is it normal to have no cravings? I keep testing myself and can honestly say (to myself) "nope, no desire" / I guess that has something to do with the trauma of the weekend in terms of hellish withdrawal and horrific anxiety. Too scared to go back there? Or could I have developed some actual real resolve so early on?
Old 01-26-2016, 04:02 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
You can have reasons, or you can have results, but you can't have both.

Hi, Water. Well, for whatever it's worth, I'm not suffering from cravings either.

Maybe some will come later but hopefully we're both prepared if they do. Until then, I figure let's savor the moment! :-)
Old 01-26-2016, 04:06 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad you're doing well.
Old 01-26-2016, 04:07 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Alive in the Superunknown

Don't test it, and don't get complacent.

I didn't get physical cravings on quitting, but I certainly got mental cravings as my emotions, once they were unblunted by alcoholic anesthesia, started getting more intense.

AV's a sneaky SoB. Don't let your guard down.
Old 01-26-2016, 04:17 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I'm glad you have no cravings to drink, but maybe develop a plan in case you do.
Old 01-26-2016, 04:20 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I believe we have an addictive voice that when sober we have control over, having said that in my case I haven't had one craving since mid December, first few days yes no question but I am very mindful of this AV, the fact it is leaving me alone does not mean that it's gone. I am aware of the tricks it has used in the past that I fell for so for now I just pay attention and not over confident.

All the best
Andrew
Old 01-26-2016, 04:37 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I didn't start getting real cravings till Mon at work, my 5th day sober. If you do, biggest piece of advice is find something else to do! I work out. Getting out amid others helps me get outta my head.
Good luck! Positive thoughts!
Old 01-26-2016, 04:48 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I don't have any cravings at 29 days but I am not new to this. It has been the case on down the road that I get complacent and have not had a plan. Then the AV goes to work on me.

Knowing this I realize I need to be prepared. There is a lot of good information here as well as just checking in daily.
Old 01-26-2016, 05:15 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I think it normal to not have cravings,I think we are so use to drinking that we dont even realize that its not that hard to quit(even though we have our plans not to fall back in the trap) I was clean 3 months and relapsed because of the psychological withdrawals,I didn't crave alcohol at all just didnt want to deal with the anxiety,depression,the whole emotional roller coaster,good luck on staying sober!

sobriety!!
Old 01-26-2016, 06:05 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Well I went into a treatment sort program that is helping me deal with the anxiety and depression with medication and weekly group meetings where we discuss emotions and other factors that we may not of dealt with correctly in the past.
Old 01-26-2016, 06:34 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

A few months into sobriety, I had a weird, intense craving that came completely out of the blue. I literally thought my legs were going to take over my brain and walk me to my husband's vodka bottle. It passed, but it was so wierd. Plenty of times I wanted to drink early on, but nothing like that before or after that incident. Lesson taken: your legs won't overpower your brain after all...
Old 01-26-2016, 07:38 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Thumpalumpacus View Post
I didn't get physical cravings on quitting, but I certainly got mental cravings as my emotions, once they were unblunted by alcoholic anesthesia, started getting more intense...
^This was my experience too. ^

I even messaged Dee cause I thought it was so odd! I second the warning to not let your guard down.

Delfin
Old 01-27-2016, 01:50 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Please don't ever let your guard down and have a clear plan in place for if the cravings come. I almost sailed through 70 days ( 28 in rehab it must be said) with very few set backs, I posted here often that the AV had gone, no cravings and all was Under control. Then on day 70 boom. I drank. A lot. And although I climbed straight back on track it has certainly destabilised me and I have had more cravings in the past 10 days than I did in the first 70.

You are doing great! But keep those eyes and ears open at be on the alert for the sneaky AV 24/7!!
Old 01-27-2016, 02:03 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

That is great.

I can only second that the easier it is to stop; the easier it is to get complacent, which is what happened to me and many others.

Enjoy it, but repeat after me -- abstinence is not control -- I can stop but I cannot drink ever and i am not changing my mind.

My big ahah moment yesterday was how truly stupid drinking is -- especially for us, but for everyone. It causes more disease that cigarettes, plus ruins lives in ways that cigarettes don't do, plus you don't know if its going to get you until it does,. etc etc. So why do so many people that would never dream of smoking for their health, drink....

Something to ponder.