Notices

Confused and down

Old 01-26-2016, 11:07 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

PP: I don't really 'do' facebook. It's nice to keep in touch with family members and all and I really appreciate it when family posts nice pictures...it's a good way to keep in touch with certain people. But, I simply do not get drawn into the various "discussions". It's a time sucker and not always helpful for you if you are trying to overcome an addiction.

This forum is the best I have found so far in helping folks stay focused on the important issues. There is a lot of honesty and transparency here and HONESTY is at the heart of a good, lasting recovery. We need to be honest with ourselves, and when helpful, be honest with one another. No one is FORCED to spill their guts here, but if they want to that's okay too. There is a lot of SHAME involved with addiction, and because of that addicts tend hide it. When they can be open and honest it like a cleansing of sorts. But addicts often do not feel SAFE opening up to just anyone. We all have boundaries.
Old 01-26-2016, 11:21 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

I use Facebook, but not sure I'd ever trust it with something as personal as my recovery. Doesn't Facebook sell information that we put on there? (or maybe that's a scaremongering thing - but if unsure I won't trust my recovery anywhere near it). Also, I know that many businesses use it to find information about potential employees an d the like as well, so hmmmm.

Anyway - I've always found the people on here are friendly and helpful. There are people with both high and low bottom experiences to be found on here. The same as in AA.

Stick with us PP. Are you going back to AA as well? You sounded quite positive after your first meeting.

(PS. Was just thinking about the 'yet' word. Was someone maybe concerned that you chose to use it, thinking that your using it indicated that you're thinking that you might find a lower bottom to exit on one day? I don't know. There's also a possibility that it could have been an internet troll out on a jolly. Thankfully the moderators are pretty hot at getting rid of those nasty beasties from this forum.
Old 01-26-2016, 11:30 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

I agree with Beccy, the mods on here are really good, consistent and dedicated which is important because things could really get out of hand otherwise.

Thank you mods!
Old 01-26-2016, 11:46 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by teatreeoil007 View Post
I agree with Beccy, the mods on here are really good, consistent and dedicated which is important because things could really get out of hand otherwise.

Thank you mods!
Yes, THANK YOU MODS. You are amazing.

Old 01-26-2016, 03:10 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hey PP

This place is big but you'll soon get the hang of it - any questions, just ask

D
Old 01-26-2016, 03:51 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Penguin: This is the first place I happened upon and I post mostly in this subforum and within my month post (post dedicated to people who quit that month as Thumpa noted). The monthly group is great because most of the people are at or near a similar point in the continuum that is quitting drinking and can relate. There is also a strange (good) sense of camaraderie amongst the members. Stay here for awhile, has to be better than Facebook and less ads.
Old 01-27-2016, 04:23 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Yes I know what you mean . Facebook was a bad idea , but I would never use my true profile for groups like this . I'll stick to SR , and I'm already feel comfortable here .
Old 01-27-2016, 04:56 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

The more you use this site the easier it will get until it is second nature. Hang in there. You never have to drink again.