Notices

Severe Nightmares

Old 01-26-2016, 04:20 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Severe Nightmares

I've struggled to get sober a handful of times and every time the nightmares get worse when I finally go to sleep. I don't mind the insomnia but whenever I finally doze off something terrible happens in my sleep and I wake up multiple times just to fall asleep to another nightmare. I hope I can get past this.
Old 01-26-2016, 04:33 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Very normal. It will pass quickly with a little sober time. It only affected me during the first week.
Old 01-26-2016, 04:34 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I'm sorry...not sleeping makes it so much harder, doesn't it? I'm on day 25 and the insomnia is now down to every other night or so.

The nightmares are intense, but in my experience, they only last for the first few days. They're another reason I don't ever want to go through that again...

Sending a hug and hopes for sweeter dreams.
Old 01-26-2016, 05:30 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I'm now mainly just having weird dreams, as if there is a normal dream .. ha ha ..

When I drank I would never remember dreaming, so it is normal as was said.
Old 01-26-2016, 06:04 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Do your best

Well you could say youl have nightmares as long as you keep drinking or give them a chance to pass through sober

Nightmares are common as are night sweats but just think once it's gone it's gone

No more nightmares & I know believe me I know
Old 01-26-2016, 08:28 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
C23
Resident Awesome Guy

They are horrible, but I look at it two ways. First, my AV knows it is losing so badly in its quest to have me drink that it is deciding to even persuade me when I am asleep. Secondly, it is a terrifying reminder of what we go through to get sober. I never want to start that over. Good luck and I hope they pass soon.
Old 01-26-2016, 08:14 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hi Wakefield - try not to worry about it, gonna have to tough them out a bit but they'll pass.

First time I quit I experienced them for a week. This time I had them for 30 days straight. As soon as I fell asleep I'd go right into a bizarre, vivid, violent nightmare. Wake up from it in 2 hours, gather myself, go back to sleep and experience another different but equally disturbing nightmare. Usually 3 a night. It was exhausting and I was thinking it shouldn't last that long and maybe it won't ever go away.

But they did thank God. And they will for you too. Crazy what alcohol did to us. Hang in there.
Old 01-26-2016, 08:19 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Can't recommend anything medical on this board but I went to my own physician to talk about insomnia because that was part of why i started drinking and we discussed my options and arrived on something that she believes will really work well in conjunction with early recovery.
Old 01-26-2016, 08:23 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
You can have reasons, or you can have results, but you can't have both.

I've had a few unpleasant dreams, too. I just remind myself that while I was drinking...

Life was a nightmare, only it was real, and I wasn't waking up!
Old 01-26-2016, 08:36 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

The nightmares will pass wakefield - looking back they didn't really last too long

D
Old 01-26-2016, 08:44 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I feel you. My deep in withdrawal nightmares were ridiculously intense and violent. Half the time I'd wake and they would manifest into hallucinations that I wasn't sure were real or not. Had to have a light on all the time. Scary stuff. I don't know much about not drinking, but they're already less intense after only 13 days. Not every night either.
Old 01-26-2016, 09:00 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

This is part of PAWS Post Acute Withdrawl Syndrome. They will diminish in time staying sober. This is quite common,
Old 01-26-2016, 09:17 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

It does go away.
I have awful insomnia
I got a firmer pillow and an extra blanket and only woke up 2 times last night, be sure you have ideal sleeping conditions if you can

The nightmares will fade with time.