Notices

25 days no drinky drinky

Old 01-25-2016, 11:24 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

25 days no drinky drinky

Greetings. Been reading these posts all month since I stopped drinking, and have found them helpful. Thought I'd chime in with my story.

I'm mid 40's, married and a father. Not a raging alcoholic, but drinking has been a big part of my life for the last 28 years, and I seemed to be picking up some momentum (in terms of increased consumption) in the last few.

By the end, it was a rare day that I didn't have at least a few drinks, and inevitably I would go overboard once a week or more.

I found more and more holes in my memory of the previous night's activities. My health suffered as a result of drinking, and weight increased. My child would ask me not to drink, saying it made me act differently and that it led to arguments with his mom, which broke my heart. I do not want to be that dad - sounds like a damn after school special...

There were several times I should not have driven home, and had I been pulled over, I'd have gotten a dui for sure. Nothing like driving with one eye open so you can focus on the road...

On new year's, I got embarrassingly drunk at our own party. Woke up to a justifiably furious wife and a concerned child. Decided that I needed to make a change.

I've told folks that I'm doing "dry January" and that I'm liking it and will continue into feb as well (except for my wife who knows my true intent is to quit for good).

Good things so far: wonderful clarity of mind, greater job effectiveness, more energy, bit of weight loss, awesome family interactions, dramatic reduction in self loathing (which I've discovered I excel at), reduced anxiety, increased confidence in general.

Bad things: have had some cravings - brief, but surprisingly intense, and awkward social evenings that would ordinarily have been drunken affairs. I also feel I'm "letting down" some friends that are accustomed to drinking with me socially. They, however, are better at moderation than I am...

The good so much outweighs the bad that it's clear I need to continue this. Sometimes I get sad that I can't drink any more, and entertain the idea that I could at some point reintroduce "social" consumption, but the fact is, I just suck at it. I like it too much. One drink feels good, so I want another to feel even better, and so on.

Anyway, that's where I'm at. Feeling very good these days, and increasingly convinced that this is the right course for my life.

Thank you all for the inspirational stories. It's been helpful to get on here and read about other folks feeling and experiencing the same things.
Old 01-25-2016, 11:58 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Reading this sounds a lot like my story, I keep thinking maybe in the future I might still be able to enjoy the odd glass of wine, but I know in my heart I wouldn't be satisfied with just one, so gotta stay off the drink for me and my health. Keep strong you are doing great, I'm on day 23 myself so know what you are feeling, I am also going out tomorrow night for a meal with a group of people from work - I am dreading this as they all drink and I am going to find this very hard, but I am going to stay strong and I know that when I wake up the following morning I will feel proud of myself and be very glad of the clear head. I will shout that voice down, I WILL NOT HAVE JUST ONE GLASS!!
Old 01-26-2016, 12:14 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome! I think you'll find that it gets better and better the longer you stay sober.
Old 01-26-2016, 12:35 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome to SR CobraKai

D
Old 01-26-2016, 12:40 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hi and welcome, I'm glad you posted. It does sound like you have made the right decision to quit.
I understand that feeling of "letting down" friends you used to drink with. What is that about anyway? I mean it is not like we are ripping drink from their hands, would they care if we ordered the fish instead of the chicken at a restaurant? So weird, but yes, I have felt that way too.
I think the further you go on and the more positive and confident you become with your sobriety, the more that will shine through to those that care about you. Real friends will support you for making such a positive decision.
Old 01-26-2016, 05:20 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
You can have reasons, or you can have results, but you can't have both.

Originally Posted by Cobrakai View Post
Anyway, that's where I'm at. Feeling very good these days, and increasingly convinced that this is the right course for my life. .
Hi there! Yeah, I've read a zillion posts here and have yet to see one that says "Gee, sobriety feels crappy. I really wish I had a hangover right about now." LOL!

Maybe you've answered above so sorry if I'm being redundant, but what are your plans for making this change permanent? For most of us, once we're staring "forever" in the face, we need a plan for how to handle the cravings, life's ups and downs, evening after-work rituals, celebrations, etc.

Good luck and I'm really looking forward to hearing the rest of your story as it unfolds!
Old 01-26-2016, 05:34 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

You're right: the price/cost of drinking is just too high for the benefit.
Great decision you're making.
Old 01-26-2016, 06:02 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Do your best

Welcome CK
Old 01-26-2016, 02:14 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Welcome! I myself am on day 25 and I feel the exact same way. I turned 40 not long ago and have been drinking heavily since I was 16. I got rather good at hiding it from relationships until it got the best of me though. 1 day at a time has worked for me so far but I would at least like to at least make it until the end of Feb. PAWS has started to set in for me at the 3 week mark so I think this is when my challenges really begin. Week 1 was all physical withdrawals...sweating, nervousness, anxiety, trouble sleeping. Week 2-3 was much easier and could be what is referred to as "pink cloud" stage. Week 3 has been harder but I plan on pushing through it.
Old 01-26-2016, 02:32 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcome to you too newtonyty

D
Old 01-26-2016, 02:52 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
quat

Having gotten embarrassingly drunk numerous times wasn't enough to get me to quit for a long time. Finally accepting that " I suck at it" and always will , because I liked it too much, the first one felt so good ect ect was what made it stick for me.
Sounds like you have made a great decision , always keep the "sucking at it" in the present tense , just make sure the little voice in your head understands the 'because' es are in the past and will stay that way.
Wish you well , sounds like you are off to a great start at a better happier healthier life , awesome
Welcome to the forums
Old 01-27-2016, 11:58 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum Cobrakai!!