Notices

DAY 23 - Is it really? !!

Old 01-25-2016, 09:10 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

DAY 23 - Is it really? !!

As I write this, I am sitting here at 23 days since I took my last drink.

This past weekend was a milestone too. Double whammy of weekend of snowstorms and NFL football on Sunday.

I mean, who wouldn't want to have a brandy while watching the snow fall, all cozy in my home? Who wouldn't want to crack a bottle of Merlot and sit by the fireplace? Who wouldn't want to drink a beer or 2 while eating junk food and watch the football games?

This guy! That's who wouldn't!

On an honest note. This place has been a safe haven for me and without it.. I do not think I could make it. So thanks to those who contribute.

I'm a musician (guitar player and singer) and being sober is making me a better man and player. I lost out on the past few years. My drinking cost me opportunities and to play in a band which I loved. I tried to keep it together, but I was sneaking booze during practice sessions and gigs. I was the one that had a bottle of "water" sitting on my amp (but it wasn't water). It got to the point where I couldn't remember simple song lyrics and played like sh**.

So now I am feeling better. Been practicing every chance I get. I am going to get back out there and play again. I believe that I hit bottom (or as close as I wanted to get to it). So now I can continue on my journey and have one less obstacle in my way.
Old 01-26-2016, 07:46 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Day 23 is fantastic Martin!! Keep it going!!
Old 01-26-2016, 08:38 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Do your best

Congratulations
Old 01-26-2016, 08:43 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Congratulations! I love reading posts like these.
Old 01-26-2016, 10:49 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Congratulations on three+ weeks. That's huge. I know that all those things you listed used to run through my own head. The nice glass of wine. Beer for the game. But it was never a few. A nice romantic vision served with shame and regret. No thanks!

Keep coming back. Your dreams can come true.
Old 01-26-2016, 02:00 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Congrats on 23 days sober! Keep it up, it gets better.
Old 01-26-2016, 02:04 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Fantastic job!
Old 01-26-2016, 02:50 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

Way to go Martin

D
Old 01-26-2016, 02:59 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Great to hear
Old 01-26-2016, 04:07 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
You can have reasons, or you can have results, but you can't have both.

What a pleasant post to read! It's uplifting to hear of someone enjoying tangible benefits so soon. I have no doubt your skills as a musician will blow right up and many opportunities will follow!
Old 01-26-2016, 04:16 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Great job Martin
Old 01-26-2016, 04:17 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Alive in the Superunknown

Hiya to a fellow newly-sober and fellow guitarist.
Old 01-26-2016, 04:20 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Very cool! Love your post.
Old 01-26-2016, 05:46 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Great post. Thanks!
Old 01-26-2016, 06:50 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Thanks.

I do appreciate the kind words and support. I also enjoy giving others support.

Nice to see the internet has some very positive things to offer.
Old 01-27-2016, 11:52 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Hi Martin.

Your thread caught my eye because I play guitar and love my little brown (mahogany) Martin 000-15. Have had it since 1999 and it never depreciates; just sounds better and gets better the more it is played.

"The older the violin the sweeter the music".

Anyways, there is a thought among many musicians that they play better after a few drinks and probably many do, but a few can turn into more than a few and I've also known some musicians who say they can play all night when on coke. I was a semi-pro performing musician for while and we were sort of big and in demand regionally (3 states).... asked to play many more gigs than we could fit in. Did a few live radio shows, etc. But we were not even fully pro and found the life of traveling and performing takes its toll....sleeping in hotels, trying get practices in before a show and the pressure to perform well. I enjoyed performing and all and love the connection with audiences and stuff but I could see how easy it would be get into the bad habit of getting amped up for a performance and then needing to come down for sleep that night. This is when insomnia really became a problem for me... We were in now way big stars, but still got a small taste of the lifestyle and the possible pitfalls. But, music is still very therapeutic, so never give it up. It's also good for your soul.
Old 01-28-2016, 10:12 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by teatreeoil007 View Post
But, music is still very therapeutic, so never give it up. It's also good for your soul.
Thanks for the reply.

Ya. Playing in a band and being your best is tough enough and throw in touring, travelling, meetings, rehearsals, eating, parties...sleeping. I can see it becoming a real challenge. Booze and pills and powders... just add to the "drain" .. of what's left over.

I love the 000 and smaller body Martins. I bet your mahogany 15 has aged well! ... I have a couple Martins including an older OM-21 which I do cherish! I know what you mean about making music and music in general being therapeutic. I don't think I could make it without it.

I am going to record a few songs in the upcoming month. Mostly, to see how I sound "sober" and plus these are the songs that are getting me though the tough times. So I think as a singer or "story teller" maybe they will come through more real (if that makes sense).

Thanks!

I'll get back on my feet some day,
The good lord willing, if he says I may,

I know that the life, I'm living is no good,
I'll make a new start and live the life I should.

(Robert Hunter)
Old 01-28-2016, 10:23 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Yeah. Thx for your reply.

I remember one very full weekend...we performed at a Relay For Life function one night in another state about 4 hours from where I live...and the performance was kinda late at night as a Relay For Life goes for 24 hours including night time...After that performance I went back to my sisters that I was staying with that night and slept in their camper...and my mind was still whorling around with tunes going through my head...couldn't sleep very well..finally went to sleep at like 5 am ...got up and the next day we had another performance in another state ... we made that performance, but at the end of that weekend I was COMPLETELY drained and I needed to go to work the next morning. I realized that performing like that could take its toll on a person