Notices

22 years old

Old 01-29-2016, 04:16 PM
  # 41 (permalink)  

I guess they don't call it urge surfing for nothing. It makes absolute sense; cravings (to use drugs alcohol, etc.) come in waves, just like hunger. Anyone who has experience fasting knows that you aren't hungry 24/7; rather, you experience waves of hunger throughout the day that eventually subside. And thankfully my craving has. So it's safe to say I'll be closing out Day 4 with my head up high.
Old 01-29-2016, 04:19 PM
  # 42 (permalink)  

BTW, has anyone on this forum experienced any benefit(s) from taking particular supplements, and if so which? (Granted, I know that 99% of the stuff out there is snake oil, but there are indeed some substances that can help those in recovery).

Here, for example, is an article citing the benefits of omega-3 for alcohol abusers: http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases...0717180252.htm

It's an interesting article. Has anyone experimented with fish oil in the past, or presently? In my own personal experience, I have taken fish oil in the past, as per my nutritionist's instructions (for different reasons), and I definitely felt much more clearheaded and focused. Fish oil/omega-3 is a very interesting topic to get into if you're into that type of thing (as I am). It may very well explain why the Japanese, for example, who eat a ton of fish, live long and healthy lives, well into their 80s.
Old 01-29-2016, 10:04 PM
  # 43 (permalink)  

I took omega 3 a few year ago for at least 3 months, possibly longer. I didnt notice any direct benefits from it for sure but I have read great things about it. I take a multivitamin every day, but I must say its more just an insurance thing for me lol. I figure it cant hurt to take one so I do.

I have found that time off of drinking has offered the most benefits.
Old 01-29-2016, 10:13 PM
  # 44 (permalink)  

Great job.

I have taken milk thistle and a few other things -- will look them up.

Keep doing what your doing...
Old 01-30-2016, 12:37 AM
  # 45 (permalink)  
Administrator

I always offer this advice with supplements.

Whats worked for others may not work or even be suitable for you.

Even the most natural or harmless sounding supplement may interact with other medication for example.

It's a sensible idea to run any ideas on supplements past your Dr
Old 01-30-2016, 04:43 AM
  # 46 (permalink)  

Thanks all for the replies.

Day 5

First full day back home. It's great. Now all I need is something to occupy my time, since I know that boredom is probably my largest trigger. I guess it's time that I finally begin applying for jobs. I believe that, in the past, I didn't apply seriously because I simply wanted to continue drinking, and I knew deep down that drinking and performing well at a job were incompatible. Now it's pretty much the same thing. I know that if I start working, I'll be busy enough that I won't really think about alcohol. (Which, by the way, is almost exactly like the way I went through my previous streak; I was in school, mostly busy, so the thought of drinking didn't hit me as often.)

Busy is good. Making some money on the side is better.
Old 01-30-2016, 08:31 AM
  # 47 (permalink)  

Day 5 already? Thats great! Time is flying by.

Staying busy can definitely keep you occupied and away from drinking, I know it has for me. When you work you also have the opportunity to make friends, even if it's just mingling with co workers a bit while on the job. I think social interaction like that is something that we as human beings all need and can work wonders as well. Isolation and idleness can keep the mind wondering and pondering when sometimes you just have to let it all go and keep yourself in the here and now.

School is my "stay busy". I'm actually going to take a writing test here in a couple hours to try and place out of a required writing course I need. I had thought I finished all of my writing classes before I transferred, and in most colleges I would have, but this college requies an extra writing course. They give you and hour and a half to read a short article that has some controversy to it, pick a side, and write an argumentative essay. If you pass your good, and if you dont well then you can take it one more time or just take the course. Its not really how I want to spend my Saturday but not really how I want to spend 3 months either (taking the course) lol.

Anyhow, congrats on 5 days and keep up the good work, were all rooting for ya!
Old 01-30-2016, 03:22 PM
  # 48 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Soberish View Post
Day 5 already? Thats great! Time is flying by.

Staying busy can definitely keep you occupied and away from drinking, I know it has for me. When you work you also have the opportunity to make friends, even if it's just mingling with co workers a bit while on the job. I think social interaction like that is something that we as human beings all need and can work wonders as well. Isolation and idleness can keep the mind wondering and pondering when sometimes you just have to let it all go and keep yourself in the here and now.

School is my "stay busy". I'm actually going to take a writing test here in a couple hours to try and place out of a required writing course I need. I had thought I finished all of my writing classes before I transferred, and in most colleges I would have, but this college requies an extra writing course. They give you and hour and a half to read a short article that has some controversy to it, pick a side, and write an argumentative essay. If you pass your good, and if you dont well then you can take it one more time or just take the course. Its not really how I want to spend my Saturday but not really how I want to spend 3 months either (taking the course) lol.

Anyhow, congrats on 5 days and keep up the good work, were all rooting for ya!
I definitely know what you mean about some colleges being a bit picky about prerequisites; at my college, BBA majors were required to take only one semester each of science and foreign language, whereas BA majors (that's me) were required to take two semesters each of science and foreign language. The rub is that I came out of high school with two science credits already, but I had to take a third. So yeah, it can definitely be frustrating at times.

Best of luck to you man! (even though it's probably a bit late for that now). I hope it went well.
Old 02-01-2016, 05:56 AM
  # 49 (permalink)  

Day 7

It's good to know that time is flying by this quickly. This is just a rough estimate, but I'm fairly certain I haven't been sober for this long in at least three months.

Scratch that. I've gone back into my personal log, and there's a case to be made that I haven't gone a week without drinking since approximately September, which makes that five months or so. What's sad is that it's possible it's even longer than that.

I know this because:

Aug-Oct = drinking like I always did.
Oct-Nov = I was in Egypt, where a fifth goes for around $3.50 USD, and the only limit on my drinking was being around family. (I was rarely sober for more than 2-3 days at a time.)
Nov-Jan = drinking like I always did.

Yep, it's confirmed: I haven't been without alcohol for this long since my previous best of 69 days, which was back in April = roughly 10 months. It's just sad...
Old 02-01-2016, 02:56 PM
  # 50 (permalink)  
Administrator

Focus on the now TG - whats gone before can't be changed, but you can use the lessons learned to make a different outcome this time

D
Old 02-01-2016, 03:12 PM
  # 51 (permalink)  

TG...what would be sad is if you don't hold onto this decision and come back to SR at age 44. You have GOT this, buddy.
Old 02-01-2016, 04:03 PM
  # 52 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
Focus on the now TG - whats gone before can't be changed, but you can use the lessons learned to make a different outcome this time

D
Yeah that's definitely the goal. I'm done throwing my life away. They say the 20s are the best years of your life. Am I going to waste them?

@BixBees505

When I said "sad," I, ironically, meant that in a good way, in the sense that it'll motivate me further. And yes you're right: if I don't do this now, I'll regret it later.
Old 02-01-2016, 07:55 PM
  # 53 (permalink)  

Good job on a week!
Old 02-02-2016, 05:26 AM
  # 54 (permalink)  

Day 8

Last night I had a dream that I relapsed. It was quite odd because it felt so real, until I woke up that is.

One week down, nine to go.
Old 02-02-2016, 09:50 AM
  # 55 (permalink)  
Do your best

Congratulations Torched
Old 02-02-2016, 01:36 PM
  # 56 (permalink)  

Congrats on your decision to stop, I also knew I had a problem at your age but failed to address it, whereas you've managed to take a huge step towards a better life while so young, well done!
Old 02-02-2016, 02:58 PM
  # 57 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Buzzkillington View Post
Congrats on your decision to stop, I also knew I had a problem at your age but failed to address it, whereas you've managed to take a huge step towards a better life while so young, well done!
Thank you man. It's really appreciated.
Old 02-03-2016, 09:57 AM
  # 58 (permalink)  

Day 9

Some more strong urges today. But I'm not giving in. The weather has been quite depressing today, which may go hand in hand with the cravings.

Staying sober though.
Old 02-04-2016, 10:04 AM
  # 59 (permalink)  

Day 10

I believe this is the strongest my cravings have been, probably not all-time, but definitely this time around. I didn't cave though, thankfully. Interestingly, I find that the urge to drink almost always occurs while I'm outside (because that's where liquor is available). As soon as I'm home, the cravings subside significantly. So far so good.
Old 02-04-2016, 10:05 AM
  # 60 (permalink)  

Hey torched, out here in California the weathers been nasty on and off. We do get some sunshine days in here and there and those are great, but most days have been overcast and/or rainy. I suspect being in NY the weather's even nastier.

Just remember that the rain passes, both literally and figuratively. I think its great you have been posting here on the daily, it can really keep your mind on the goal!