Notices

Replacing one Addiction with Another

Old 01-24-2016, 09:24 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
C23
Resident Awesome Guy

Replacing one Addiction with Another

As many people on here, I have an addictive personality. I think I am doing really well with the booze, so now I an going to focus on losing weight and getting in shape. I know what is going to happen though. I am going to become obsessed with working out and dieting. I have 46lbs to lose and to most, I will probably seem a bit to extremein my methods. That is just the nature of the beast. I guess I can think of worse things to be addicted to. Just as long as im not harming myself, I can't see anything wrong with it. Thoughts?
Old 01-24-2016, 09:30 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Choosing Life

Any addiction can get out of control. In the beginning, mine was compulsive cleaning. Not bad, eh? My house was a mess because I never cleaned it when I was drinking, so I had a lot to do to catch up. But then I found myself unable to sit down and relax ... I was always tidying up after everyone. If someone set an empty glass down on the table, I'd snatch it up and put it in the dishwasher. Inevitably, the glass owner would look at me in shock and say, "I was going to refill that!" lol

Just pace yourself and be aware of when and if things are getting out of hand. If you spent 2 hours at the gym but find yourself compulsively doing sit-ups in front of the TV all night, that might merit another look.
Old 01-24-2016, 09:31 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
You can have reasons, or you can have results, but you can't have both.

Extreme is when it's causing collateral damage to something else. So just be committed instead of extreme. What better way to rebuke alcoholism than to do something awesome for your health? I like it!
Old 01-24-2016, 10:11 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi C23

I definitely went the gym route. Lost about 35lbs in 9 months and feel amazing. I've turned into a health nut and love it. It's so fulfilling knowing your doing the best your body instead of trying to destroy it.
Old 01-24-2016, 10:27 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I too have been working out a lot the past few days. Better than drinking! I have 40 lbs to lose & know drinking has stalled me and even caused much of the weight.
Old 01-24-2016, 10:27 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Do your best

I think exercise is healthy
Old 01-24-2016, 12:15 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I'm way too tired to obsess about anything that takes action lol

However spending time on your health sounds like a good idea
Old 01-24-2016, 12:41 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I think that's a great idea! But find a balance during that time so you don't go full speed the other way and gain it all back. (I know from personal experience.)
Old 01-24-2016, 12:42 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

The word "addiction" gets thrown around a lot. When whatever you are doing makes you life unmanageable, be concerned. Until then its something you do a lot.
Old 01-27-2016, 11:38 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

C23: You bring up a good issue. Yes, it is soooo totally possible to replace one addiction with another and good advice has been given here already on that; if makes your unmanageable or interferes with your life, your work, or your relationships or your finances; if overtakes your life so you are unable to enjoy other enjoyable things.

For MOST of my life fitness and music have been my main coping skills and I always felt it was much better pushing myself working out than using substances. I don't think I overdo it, by my husband has made a few comments whenever I work out for more than 2 hours. It has not at all been unusual for me to go on a 3 hour walk outside for instance. It just feels so good for me to get out there and hard for me to quit as I find it so enjoyable. I often get into a meditative trance of sorts and love the fresh air! In the gym, the first hour is like a warm-up while the second hour is like fine-tuning. Don't know if that makes sense and I get my second wind and can just keep on going for awhile.

Music is another area that I've tried to learn a little moderation as once I get warmed up I could spend hours at it.

But, I truly feel that these things are always so much better than reaching for a drink or using other substances, so I'm not going to beat myself up about it or fret about it too much and try to just be aware of whether or not it is interfering with the rest of my life. I don't spend hours watching TV and playing farm-town online or doing facebook. In recent months I've spent more time at this site and I sometimes wonder if it is becoming another addiction, but right now in my life it's helping me overcome a battle and hopefully it's helping others.