Notices

Does your family know about us?

Old 01-24-2016, 01:35 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Alive in the Superunknown

I've told my mom, my son, his mother, and my complicated relationship. I sent the last one a link, and it turns out she was already a member, for the Family Support forums.

I feel it's important to be open about my struggle, especially with my (ex-?)girlfriend, who suffered the most from my addiction. I don't know if she reads here or not, but that's not realm germane. I am here for me, not her. I am in recovery for me, not her.
Old 01-24-2016, 01:41 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

My family and very close friends know - I don't discuss at length but they're aware that this forum exists and why I'm on it.

Also from time to time I have friends who are hitting a bottom and start talking about how they no longer want to drink/use/what have you - I do my best to explain this forum and encourage them to read through it even if they don't join (my hopes are that they do) and normally send them the link and tell them how much I understand (I don't declare alcoholism from the rooftops - but I do admit in private to those that need to know they are not alone)
Old 01-24-2016, 02:32 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

My husband is the only person who knows. I don't think he would ever check on my posts. Not his style.
Old 01-24-2016, 10:00 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Nooooooooo.

This forum is my very private safe place. I will never tell my family. This is like my personal diary.

However, this has me thinking.....what if I leave the browser totally open one day and someone reads it? Actually, I wouldn't be that horrified. Maybe for a minute.
Old 01-28-2016, 04:29 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

My hubby knows about it and is supportive, but he doesn't come to this forum and isn't interested in it. He has a forum of his own he participates in. It's the Fox News forum.
Old 01-28-2016, 04:44 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I live alone (well, two dogs and four cats ) so don't have to worry about it, but if I didn't, I would just say it was an online recovery forum and was great for support.
Old 01-28-2016, 04:53 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by BlissWithin View Post
Online comunities are not a big thing here in Brazil.
Lo mismo aqui!

I used to think someone could snoop on me here. But I don't worry about it too much anymore. A few family and friends know I use an "online-based recovery site", but I never have mentioned this site specifically. If anyone who treads here knows me, they wouldn't read through all of my posts to find anything juicy. They'd just ask.

If my girlfriend is in the room I will close the page, but she seems to know it's a safe place for me and does not intrude or ask questions about it.
Old 01-28-2016, 04:55 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

In the "About Me" section of your profile you have posted your gender and your home state.

If you are concerned he might figure out who you are, change your gender, post a few few pictures of yourself (find some anonymous dude on the internet) describe you interests as stereotypical guy stuff and change your location to a different state, or even a different country.

If you are worried he will figure out who you are by your user name, register again with something completely random. You can be very anonymous if you choose to be.
Old 01-28-2016, 05:31 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

My S/O knows that I post online on a recovery site. She has never asked the name. I don't think she would snoop, but if she did, oh well. A lot of my early posts contain sensitive information, but I feel that SR has been nothing but positive for me. If she we're to find out and snoop and get mad at me for things I've posted then that's her problem. This is my recovery and it needs to come before anything else, even her. It's just the way it has to be.
Old 01-28-2016, 05:42 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Interesting comments. At AA or here I say anything I feel like because it's anonymous and I really don't care-perhaps I should be more discreet.

Wicket, I think everyone needs some personal space. Your boyfriend should understand that.

If not I'd invite him to into the bathroom (after I had my coffee) to read all my posts he wanted to. I'd sit, he'd stand. Metaphorically speaking this board and AA are good places to vent and get rid of #$%^. I'm such a crude individual.
Old 01-28-2016, 05:44 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  
zjw

mine knows said shes even lurked here a few times. I have no idea if she knows who i am or not. On one hand I think hey it might be good if she sees this side of me. On the other hand sh emight not get it and I dunno that i need her critiqueing me here as i do enough of that on my own. I like to be left alone to deal with this one.
Old 01-28-2016, 05:48 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

My parents and sisters know I use an on-line support group. When I told them it was international, 24/7/365, going around with me on my phone, and I had 150,000 people helping me they were stunned. I've never told them where, and won't. This is my safe place.
Old 01-28-2016, 06:12 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  

This is day one for me but I'm not planning on telling anyone about this. Maybe it's a pride issue for me but I can't stand the idea of people looking at me differently. Like I'm some sort of special needs person because I have a disease. I'm hoping to find the support I need on here for now.
Old 01-28-2016, 06:37 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  

My bf knows. He would never invade my privacy he is just not interested in that.
Old 01-28-2016, 07:41 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  

It's real private for me. One very close friend knows I'm on an online support group and that's it. But I also live alone. I suppose if I had a partner who was suspicious, I would explain the site and the support it provides. I would emphasize how important it is to my sobriety, and ask him to trust me. I wouldn't give any more details about the site.