Notices

Rethinking this year's planned events!!!

Old 01-24-2016, 03:55 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Rethinking this year's planned events!!!

When I have caught myself drifting to events I have planned this year I experience a sense of panic and fear and have to shut it off and remind myself 'one day at a time'. Having to contemplate them with no alcohol...when they have been planned around alcohol...is scary. I am getting married in November, I will have a number of Hen Parties with different friends, I have a long weekend booked with my partner in February to Barcelona...all these things I had planned, imagined and ensured would allow me to drink!!!! Which is pathetic in itself. However, now I need to visualise these events not involving alcohol and find different things about them to be excited about and to look forward to. Finding that abit of a struggle...😦
Old 01-24-2016, 05:05 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

November is a while away. No need to start fretting about that yet, though it is good to realize it could be an issue. Feb. is a lot closer and the vacation needs a plan if you are going to make it through, sober.

Does your "partner" know of your decision to get sober? If so, and if supportive, start planning things to do that won't involve drinking, won't put you in harm's way with alcohol.

P.S.
I saw in your other post that you put a lot of planning into your drinking. Put that much effort into planning your sobriety and you should be fine.
Old 01-24-2016, 05:36 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I know the feeling -- isn't it weird that we thought about our major life events in terms of the ability to consume alcohol -- that alone told me I had a problem.

For me, not drinking has to be my number one priority, the rest follows.

The main thing for me is to accept that I can never drink a sip of alcohol again -- same way as I can't smoke. I am addicted and that means one is all it takes.

But I can not have the sip, which is what I do no matter how important the event.

After you get a few sober major events under your belt, it will be much easier.

It will help if you finance knows, but even if not, you can do this.
Old 01-24-2016, 11:24 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by doggonecarl View Post
P.S.
I saw in your other post that you put a lot of planning into your drinking. Put that much effort into planning your sobriety and you should be fine.
That is a very good point and one that made me smile with the truth in it ☺
Old 01-24-2016, 11:26 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thanks dropsie