Notices

Didn't realize the physical effects

Old 01-23-2016, 09:52 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Didn't realize the physical effects

I am on day 3 of sobriety. I didn't even realize how many effects the drinking had on me physically. I realized the immediate impact of hangovers, but in reading more about recovery and detox I have discovered I have been dealing with these symptoms every time I went on a bender then tried to recover. My body was fighting it's way back and probably never healed fully. The shaking, slightly, but still there. The stomach aches. The fog, the disorientation. The mood swings. The food cravings or aversions. The depression. Suicidal thoughts. Regret. Clumsiness. Nausea. Etc. I have been so blind I didn't realize this cycle has been ongoing. I didn't want to admit it or see it.
I'm so grateful to be here. I don't want to end up like a friend who passed last year, from alcoholics hepatitis, @ 30years old.
KM 0816
Old 01-23-2016, 10:02 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Congratulations on 3 days! The longer you are sober, the more you will realize all the effects that alcohol had on you - some of them you never even knew you were experiencing while you were drinking.
Old 01-23-2016, 10:06 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Life Goes On

KM, if three days is enlightening, then you are in for a treat at a week and beyond.

Glad you are here wanting to make positive changes.
Old 01-23-2016, 10:11 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I didn't realize that all the times I felt so awful were related to alcohol either. Gradually I started figuring it out but it still didn't make me quit. I was just a more "aware" alcoholic. You can do this. Congrats on day 3.
Old 01-23-2016, 10:16 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

KM, denial is a huge part of alcoholism. When I look back at my thought processes when I was drinking, it was nuts. But, the denial keeps us hooked. Good job on Day 3.
Old 01-23-2016, 10:43 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I am on day 3 also. I know what you mean, I was numb to my self-- so now I have a lot of lethargy, and brain fog-- not sure what to do with myself. Keeping the priority my sobriety. I am excited to feel like a real human being soon. It is exciting to know this will be worth it.

I have been eating like crazy so trying to keep it down to soup and tea to fill me up. Hoping that passes soon! Otherwise walking helps. Giving myself some time and space to adjust is hard-- I like to feel more "in action" but taking too much"control" over everything in my life has not worked well in the past.

Thanks all for the support.
Old 01-23-2016, 10:51 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
You can have reasons, or you can have results, but you can't have both.

I'm on Day 13. Two weeks ago, I could barely get off the sofa. I couldn't organize my thoughts. My heart palpitated, I suffered from vertigo, and I couldn't take a deep breath due to abdominal pains.

About an hour ago, I spent a vigorous 45 minutes shoveling and feel just fine!
Old 01-23-2016, 11:20 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Do your best

Hang on in there KM congrats on day 3
Old 01-23-2016, 11:51 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

And it keeps on getting better.
Old 01-23-2016, 12:13 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I hear ya. I used to just think my hangovers were lasting longer because I wasn't 21 anymore. When you still feel the effects of your drinking 3, 4, 5 . . . days later, it's more than just your typical hangover.

Congrats on 3 days. And thanks for the post.
Old 01-23-2016, 12:25 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Congrats on Day 3, you are getting past that first hump! You will find lots of support on SR. I have been on and off this site for a few years, but have vowed that 2016 will be my first of many sober years to come. Today is Day 23 for me, and posting and reading on this site daily is a big part of my recovery plan.

Glad you are here!
❤️Delilah
Old 01-23-2016, 03:25 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Administrator

It's great to have you here KM

D
Old 01-23-2016, 07:12 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Glad you are here! I felt all the same symptoms you experienced. I quit for 6 months last year and I know the fog will lift, the nausea will disappear and you will generally feel good about your life. I am back here at day 3. Continue sobriety and your body will continue to repair itself. Take care and keep on!

Last edited by Aurora7431; 01-23-2016 at 07:13 PM. Reason: Mispelled
Old 01-23-2016, 07:17 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Aurora, any chance you would mind letting us know what stopped your 6 months progress? I think a lot of us feel we are under control even though we are very early on. Thanks