Notices

What does it all matter?

Old 01-23-2016, 08:58 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

"live from the inside looking out", and "listen to my mind, body actions and emotions" --- thank you for these very powerful reminders!

Best wishes for getting through this challenging time.
Old 01-23-2016, 09:47 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Ken, my weasel friend... Dear to us... One who manages to assuage the ever present loneliness of others here and probably everywhere you are... I have read many amazing, helpful posts from you.

At my current sobriety point, I really really needed this one. Thank you.
Old 01-23-2016, 10:02 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

So many gems in Ken's OP here. I just find this to be so insightful, true, and accurately stated. This whole thread is one for my books.

Weasel, take care of yourself. You are priceless.

Devaluing anything as a sure sign of trouble. Yes. Yes.. The thing we are devaluing, ahead of a relapse ... is our very self, our own life, in some way, large or small. We cannot afford it, just can't afford it.

Exactly: "...I used to live on the outside looking in. I had little influence in my own life. It carried me to and from as it wished. I drank when I did not want to. I drugged when I knew I could do no more. I was its slave. "

So gooood, so specific, so simple. This is indeed a no-secret secret society:

"A sober plan is understanding when you need help. So I am posting. And then eat. Clean myself up and put on clothes I like. Clean my home and take pride in it. Go get food and fill the fridge. Nap when I need it. Get out of the house and be seen. Take care of HALT.

Life is a series of temporary moments. Some last longer than others and yet some are even quicker than I can absorb. I need not take actions that span these moments. I need not do brain surgery with a hammer. "
Old 01-23-2016, 10:26 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  
EndGame

Outstanding.

Originally Posted by Weasel1966 View Post
What does it all matter?

Ah! The tell tale sign of a weasel in trouble. Well, pre-trouble really. As in when I think this I double down on my sober plan. Drop to defcon 4, orange alert, and call in the troops.

What does it all matter?

Listen up newbies and listen good. If you start to devalue anything it's a sign. That's got to be a universal truth. A druggie and drinkers billboard announcing a relapse is in progress.

In the sober world I built relapses are not part of it. They don't have to happen. They are not the inevitable truth we are told through fabled drunk history reports.

We all belong to this no secret, secret society. There is no secret to staying sober. If you think there is then I will share it with you... right here... right now.

Pssssst..... "Listen to your mind, body, actions and emotions. Stop. Just listen."

This week compiled for me a unusually strong set of happenings that are testing my ability to listen. I have an abscess root canal. Need to take a regime of antibiotics that make me feel like crap. I had to put my best friend to sleep. A friend that I had no idea was as big a part of my life as he was. I had to visit a place that was the scene of my atomic explosion of a life before I extracted myself from there. Work pressures mounted as I have been promoted and with that comes greater expectations. A deep, still ever present sense of loneliness. And then all the crap that is life.

If your thinking that you wish that's all you had by comparison, here is another word of sound advice. "Don't live your life by comparisons." You will forever be sadly disappointed.

I live this life very differently than all other times of my life. I used to live on the outside looking in. I had little influence in my own life. It carried me to and from as it wished. I drank when I did not want to. I drugged when I knew I could do no more. I was its slave.

Now I live from the inside looking out. What do I do differently? I listen. I listen to my mind, my body, my actions and my emotions. Hence this little post.

A sober plan is understanding when you need help. So I am posting. And then eat. Clean myself up and put on clothes I like. Clean my home and take pride in it. Go get food and fill the fridge. Nap when I need it. Get out of the house and be seen. Take care of HALT.

Life is a series of temporary moments. Some last longer than others and yet some are even quicker than I can absorb. I need not take actions that span these moments. I need not do brain surgery with a hammer.

So I am stopping today. Listening. Letting things pass without action. They will. They always do.

What we share we strengthen.

Ken
Old 01-23-2016, 10:32 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

This is an amazing post Weasel. It really summed up the thought processes I went through last night when I drank AGAIN. But I haven't got a plan for the triggers I faced yesterday. I thought about posting and reaching out but didn't. I'm not beating myself up today though-it's given me a big lesson in the power of a plan and reaching out when in need. I know where I went wrong and feel stronger because of it. This madness can and will end.
Old 01-23-2016, 11:01 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  
saoutchik

"Abcess root canal" dude you have my sympathies there. Hopefully the side effects of the antibiotics wear off quickly - unfortunately they are important as I know a woman (a drinker) who left an abcess untreated and it ended up in her brain - 13 weeks of hospitalization. Obviously you have got proper treatment so no worries in that respect but make sure it stays away

I agree with others here - absolutely first rate post, a timely reminder not just to get on the wagon but reasons for staying on it
Old 01-23-2016, 11:06 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  
A simple guy making his way

BixBees... I am so glad you got something from this today. I did in writing it. It helped me sort what was going on in my head. A lot of that was talking to me. Not the AV side but the real me side.

Hey StarSailor... Welcome to SR. I hope you will stick around. Try to remember that you have the SAME plan for every situation. I will not drink today and I will never change my mind. It's knowing when you need help and asking for it. No other version is needed for me to not drink. If I thought I needed a plan for every variable in life ... well... I think you can see where that is going. Be well. Post often.

Thanks Sao!!!!

Ken
Old 01-23-2016, 11:16 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

BixBees... I am so glad you got something from this today. I did in writing it. It helped me sort what was going on in my head. A lot of that was talking to me. Not the AV side but the real me side.

Hey StarSailor... Welcome to SR. I hope you will stick around. Try to remember that you have the SAME plan for every situation. I will not drink today and I will never change my mind. It's knowing when you need help and asking for it. No other version is needed for me to not drink. If I thought I needed a plan for every variable in life ... well... I think you can see where that is going. Be well. Post often.

Thanks Sao!!!!

Ken
What Ken said, again. There is no secret. I had to finally accept that I really do know "how". No excuses.
Old 01-23-2016, 11:22 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Wonderful thread

Dichotomy in smoke. I used to experiment a lot with images of smoke (and quit smoking about 7 years ago).

Last edited by Aellyce; 06-13-2021 at 04:19 AM.
Old 01-23-2016, 11:25 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

What does it all matter?

Ah! The tell tale sign of a weasel in trouble. Well, pre-trouble really. As in when I think this I double down on my sober plan. Drop to defcon 4, orange alert, and call in the troops.

What does it all matter?

Listen up newbies and listen good. If you start to devalue anything it's a sign. That's got to be a universal truth. A druggie and drinkers billboard announcing a relapse is in progress.

In the sober world I built relapses are not part of it. They don't have to happen. They are not the inevitable truth we are told through fabled drunk history reports.

We all belong to this no secret, secret society. There is no secret to staying sober. If you think there is then I will share it with you... right here... right now.

Pssssst..... "Listen to your mind, body, actions and emotions. Stop. Just listen."

This week compiled for me a unusually strong set of happenings that are testing my ability to listen. I have an abscess root canal. Need to take a regime of antibiotics that make me feel like crap. I had to put my best friend to sleep. A friend that I had no idea was as big a part of my life as he was. I had to visit a place that was the scene of my atomic explosion of a life before I extracted myself from there. Work pressures mounted as I have been promoted and with that comes greater expectations. A deep, still ever present sense of loneliness. And then all the crap that is life.

If your thinking that you wish that's all you had by comparison, here is another word of sound advice. "Don't live your life by comparisons." You will forever be sadly disappointed.

I live this life very differently than all other times of my life. I used to live on the outside looking in. I had little influence in my own life. It carried me to and from as it wished. I drank when I did not want to. I drugged when I knew I could do no more. I was its slave.

Now I live from the inside looking out. What do I do differently? I listen. I listen to my mind, my body, my actions and my emotions. Hence this little post.

A sober plan is understanding when you need help. So I am posting. And then eat. Clean myself up and put on clothes I like. Clean my home and take pride in it. Go get food and fill the fridge. Nap when I need it. Get out of the house and be seen. Take care of HALT.

Life is a series of temporary moments. Some last longer than others and yet some are even quicker than I can absorb. I need not take actions that span these moments. I need not do brain surgery with a hammer.

So I am stopping today. Listening. Letting things pass without action. They will. They always do.

What we share we strengthen.

Ken
Not still image but I had to post this association to the OP... Inside out
Old 01-23-2016, 12:10 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Hi Ken,

I always enjoy how insightful your posts are, how open you are, and how encouraging you are to this entire community.

I hope that you find a way to enjoy this weekend, despite the temporary stresses. I am also really impressed with how well you planned for and handled your trip to a place from your past that I am sure brought back bad memories.

Thanks for revving up the bus every weekend, and just for being you!!

❤️Delilah
Old 01-23-2016, 04:08 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

You're a fountain of wisdom Ken!!
Old 01-23-2016, 04:12 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Beautifully expressed, Ken - as always. We love you so much.
Old 01-23-2016, 05:41 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  
EnjoyingTheJourney

Thank you for your wise words Ken. And my deepest condolences for the loss of your best friend. They're not with us long enough and saying good-bye is tough. Take care!