Notices

Day 4 all done

Old 01-22-2016, 01:56 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day 4 all done

So I am on my 5th day today, but I will not see it through, however, that was never the plan anyway. I wanted to prove to myself that I could quit booze on workdays and have done so this week. So I have already more than halved my consumption but will do more than that as I will be more aware of what I may or may not have over the weekend.

The plan is to do the same next week and then stop completely for the month of February.

There is alcohol around the house, much of it to hand but I haven't really been tempted.

My sleep has improved significantly over the last few days and my itches stopped after two days. I wake up feeling energised and refreshed, no fuzzy head or furry mouth.

I've learnt a lot this week and saved a fair bit of money too.
Old 01-22-2016, 02:00 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

So if I understand correctly you are planning on drinking today/tonight? Why not just stick with the sobriety instead of putting it off until February. You say you have alcohol in the house but do not feel tempted, what's the point in drinking then?
Old 01-22-2016, 02:00 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

So you're just going to drink on weekends? Good luck with that. I tried various ways to moderate my drinking but it always ended up as bad as ever.
Old 01-22-2016, 02:04 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I too tried many different techniques for moderating but things just got worse and worse. Even changing up the pattern doesn't seem to slow the progression of alcoholism, it just gets worse and worse and doesn't slow down even if you "successfully" moderate for periods of time.

This also might be of interest to you. What you are doing is actually quite dangerous.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kindli...tic_withdrawal)
Old 01-22-2016, 02:36 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hi Pippinw. There is a huge view on this site that moderation is not possible if you have a serious drinking problem. In my own experience this is the case. Life is better without alcohol. And to be honest all you have proved is that you could go a week without drinking during the week. There is loads of information and shared experience here that may help. Good luck on your journey.
Old 01-22-2016, 06:24 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Meraviglioso View Post
So if I understand correctly you are planning on drinking today/tonight? Why not just stick with the sobriety instead of putting it off until February. You say you have alcohol in the house but do not feel tempted, what's the point in drinking then?
I never declared to stop completely, I just planned to reign in my consumption to weekends only. I enjoy a social drink and that's all it will be.

February was always on the cards for me and my wife to do as a New Year thing.

Originally Posted by least View Post
So you're just going to drink on weekends? Good luck with that. I tried various ways to moderate my drinking but it always ended up as bad as ever.
Well, we are all different aren't we.

Originally Posted by stevepearce View Post
Hi Pippinw. There is a huge view on this site that moderation is not possible if you have a serious drinking problem. In my own experience this is the case. Life is better without alcohol. And to be honest all you have proved is that you could go a week without drinking during the week. There is loads of information and shared experience here that may help. Good luck on your journey.
Thanks.
Old 01-22-2016, 06:28 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Five days doesn't even get you fully detoxed unfortunately.
Wishing you the best and hope it works out Pippen.
Old 01-22-2016, 07:00 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Do your best

Best of luck & congrats on cutting back on your drinking if that was your only intention

All I ask is why is alcohol so important you want to keep it in your life ?

Of course you don't have to answer but food for thought

I honestly wish you the best
Old 01-22-2016, 07:06 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Dear Pippin, I wish you the best, I really do. What you said is very similar to myself and many others when we were in a pre contemplation place in our journey. Maybe you can be a social drinker. I cant. But I did make the same kind of deals with myself only to have them fall through. Good luck. John
Old 01-22-2016, 07:14 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by soberwolf View Post
Best of luck & congrats on cutting back on your drinking if that was your only intention

All I ask is why is alcohol so important you want to keep it in your life ?

Of course you don't have to answer but food for thought

I honestly wish you the best
Thanks and yes that was and is the intention. I just need a re-calibration as my drinking had become a habit, not an addiction. I may be proven wrong and if I am then it will be a lesson learnt, but let me find out.

I have read some interesting and eye opening posts on here and have learnt a lot about my drinking.

Thanks.
Old 01-22-2016, 01:46 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

I have read some interesting and eye opening posts on here and have learnt a lot about my drinking.
It seems like you're not learnt enough yet, Pippinw.

D
Old 01-22-2016, 03:43 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
It seems like you're not learnt enough yet, Pippinw.

D
Opinions are like ********, everyone has one.

Night, night.
Old 01-22-2016, 03:54 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Pippin - it's just that most of us have already tried what you're attempting & had dismal results. We're just trying to help you avoid the pain.
Old 01-22-2016, 03:55 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Administrator

I expected that kind of response Pippin. Sometimes I like to poke the AV.

My AV used to puff itself full of pride and testosterone and I could not be told.

I genuinely hope a year from now you'll be back to tell me how wrong I was

Unfortunately, tho, in this context there are wrong opinions, and wrong decisions.

All anyone's trying to do here is save you some of the pain and loss we suffered.

I wouldn't have listened to me either tho...so I'll wish you the best.

D
Old 01-22-2016, 04:04 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Pippinw View Post
Opinions are like ********, everyone has one.

Night, night.
I apologise if that word is offensive over the pond.

Not so in the UK.

Heartfelt apologies.
Old 01-23-2016, 04:00 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I dunno Pippin if cutting back to weekend drinking is the way forward, I had a reread of your first post and it's pretty scary:

I have been drinking 3 large spirits, 1 bottle of wine and perhaps a nightcap every day for way over 8 years and before that drank a fair amount.

Over the Christmas holidays I had a few heavier days and one morning felt really bad with some abdominal pains, that worried and scared me.
That's a lot of drinking and some serious symptoms that indicates alcohol is affecting your health!!
Old 01-23-2016, 07:01 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Sounds like quitting has been good for you. Lots of restful sleep feels good, and not having cotton mouth in the morning is really good. There's a reason you chose to stop drinking during the week. Why not quit on weekends? You will be glad you did! Good luck to you my friend!