Notices

Did a pet help lead you to sobriety?

Old 01-21-2016, 11:41 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Did a pet help lead you to sobriety?

As my bio reads, I'm a self-proclaimed crazy cat lady. That being said, I owe much of my sobriety to my cats. My male cat would sleep beside me through bender after bender while my female cat slept snugly around my neck. Whether they knew it or not, and most likely did not, they were keeping me alive. The only motivation I had to crawl out bed was to take care of my cats. I fed and watered them every day, but after at least 4 days of neglecting the litter box, I decided I (and they) had enough. My cats depend on me. If I didn't have that responsibility, I'm not so sure I would have ever sobered up. Did a pet help you in any way??
Old 01-21-2016, 11:52 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by CarrieBradshaw View Post
As my bio reads, I'm a self-proclaimed crazy cat lady. That being said, I owe much of my sobriety to my cats. My male cat would sleep beside me through bender after bender while my female cat slept snugly around my neck. Whether they knew it or not, and most likely did not, they were keeping me alive. The only motivation I had to crawl out bed was to take care of my cats. I fed and watered them every day, but after at least 4 days of neglecting the litter box, I decided I (and they) had enough. My cats depend on me. If I didn't have that responsibility, I'm not so sure I would have ever sobered up. Did a pet help you in any way??
Yes Carrie! ❤️
I have 4 cats and 1 dog, they helped me in all the ways and now them I'm sober I enjoy them even more because I'm not sick all the time, animals keep us alive and in peace, I have so much peace inside of me I'm always smiling around them, they bring joy and life.
😻⭐️⭐️🌝
Old 01-21-2016, 11:54 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I have a couple dogs that I think have helped me in many ways. They don't ever do me any wrong and just want my affection. I like to go on runs with them when I get the opportunity, its the reason why I got them actually.

I can recall numerous times coming home after drinking or smoking weed and just feeling crummy and lonely. They always kept me company during those nights when I couldn't figure out what was wrong with me and why I continued to use and a bunch of other negative thoughts. I'm away from home and actually miss them. I can't have them here where I moved and even if I could they wouldn't be happy cause I'm hardly ever home. They are better off with my mom, and I still get to see them most weekends so that's good.
Old 01-22-2016, 12:04 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I have 2 dogs who are 8 years old and nearly my constant companions. Yes, they were an incentive because I have no one to take care of them or keep them if I wasn't able and the thought of that always brought tears to my eyes. They are sitting on my lap more these days because I'm not always jumping up getting another beer.
Old 01-22-2016, 12:08 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Yes! I have two dogs and four cats and my initial reason for getting sober was to take better care of them. When drinking I often missed their meals and was either too drunk or too sick to walk them.

Now that I'm sober, I know I take care of them like they deserve. And their love and devotion and good health reward me every day.

My pets are my life, now that my kids are grown and gone. I got sober for them and don't regret a minute of it.
Old 01-22-2016, 12:23 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Pet therapy is awesome... Dog sleeps on my bed!!
Old 01-22-2016, 01:03 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

My wife has moved to her brothers for now and left me the dog (she adores the dog so i kno this is hard for her) and im so thankful for it - i come home from work and the dog is all over me, so loving and its amazing. She will be my rock through this!! Pets r the best!!
Old 01-22-2016, 01:14 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Having a pet is pure unconditional love, mind you when I was wasted my dog would look at me with disapproving eyes and he wouldn't want to come close to me. He's much happier now that I get up and walk him ever day. My dog has definitely been a big reason I've been keeping it together these past 2 weeks. I love my dog
Old 01-22-2016, 02:42 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

My dog was the same, he would always back away from the wine glass as he hated the smell. He seems a lot cuddlier now since I've stopped drinking.
Old 01-22-2016, 03:50 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I am not sure if they are helping me with my sobriety, but they are certainly a reason I want to stay sober. Seeing as I have 10 (7 rescues that I just couldn't say no to) I really need to stay healthy! Clearly a crazy cat lady ...
Old 01-22-2016, 05:01 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Dogs really do give unconditional love, and they can be a great stress reliever.
I have 3 dogs, love them all, but one of them has always been my baby. Although she sometimes gave me that look when I was drinking and kept her distance, she would be right beside me in bed during my worst hangovers. She would stay with me all day, even going without food & water herself. My husband would be bringing her in food & water.

Just one of my many regrets while drinking.
Old 01-22-2016, 05:03 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

If nobody else loves me (including me not loving me), my dog adores me unfailingly. How priceless is that!
xx
Old 01-22-2016, 05:11 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I have a Portuguese Water dog, she has been with me 8 years and no mater what I am going through in life, she pours out the unconditional love. She is/was a blessing in recovery, always by my side and always eager to do anything with me and I love hiking and walking, this time of the year we have a lot of snow but Maya is always eager and ready to go, so to answer your question yes she did because she stuck by me.
Old 01-22-2016, 05:25 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

I love my dogs, but they had nothing to do with me getting or staying sober.
Old 01-22-2016, 05:32 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Administrator

My cat that I had when I decided to stop drinking was definitely a saviour to me. She was a rock and never left my side, despite the fact that everyone else did. Now, I have the lovely lilac point Siamese in my avatar by my side. (Sadly Kona, the chocolate boy) passed away a few months ago.
Old 01-22-2016, 05:38 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Do your best

I can't say I got sober for my pooch I got sober for me through acceptance that being said since being sober my dog loves me more I think I hope lol
Old 01-22-2016, 05:40 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Trudgin

My sponsor taught me a prayer -
God, may I become the man my dog thinks I am

Focusing on caring for a pet in sobriety is therapeutic. It gives us some needed structure and hopefully some loving feedback.
Old 01-22-2016, 06:29 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Over the years, I've come to believe that dogs and cats are spiritual beings that sense our energy. My dogs have helped a lot because taking care of them gets me out of my own head. Giving them the unconditional love and emotional attention that I never got as a child is profoundly rewarding. They are there for me, and I am there for them.

Sometimes just watching my dogs sleep is so peaceful and comforting and takes me out of my stress.

I do believe dogs and cats are here to teach us what is important in life. The simple things. But most of all unconditional love, kindness, forgiveness, gratitude, forgiveness, and joy.

Anyone else fans of the comic strip MUTTS? There's a very spiritual sense to that comic strip, and his messages are always simple yet profound. Sometimes I wonder if the creator is either Buddhist or a recovered alcoholic.
Old 01-22-2016, 06:54 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

That look I get from my lovely dog when drunk kills me,he just knows something is wrong, Day 5 now.