# 21 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

in!
Old 01-21-2016, 04:37 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Good morning, Sobrietists!
Old 01-21-2016, 04:40 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Here is a picture of my town during Carnevale. We have one of the largest celebrations in Europe and are famous for the papier mache floats. This was taken from the ferris wheel so you can see the parade and the floats and also the sea.
Old 01-21-2016, 04:48 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Here is one of my favorite vacation photos ever. I was in Morocco, in a tiny village (se second photo) that is nearby a great surfing spot. It was a very, very poor area. When we asked if we could bathe anywhere they sent a man on a donkey to collect wood, when he came back they made a fire under a metal trashcan that was built into a wall. Inside the room the steam started to heat the room and then we used plastic cups to pour water over ourselves. In any case, one morning we were headed towards the ocean and a woman popped her head out of this little house. She motioned for me to come over. I don't speak any Arabic, but we communicated with our hands. She offered us some fresh bread that she had just baked on a hot stone in the middle of a fire. She even found some honey in her little pile of food items and had us taste that. It was so incredibly kind and generous and something I will never forget. The incredible poverty (you can see from the outside of the house, the inside consisted of a dirt floor, a mat and a fire on the ground) she experienced but she still gave so openly and willingly. Beautiful, beautiful moment.
Morocco was one of my only sober holidays given alcohol is difficult to find there.

Old 01-21-2016, 04:51 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

This little town is just about 40 minutes up the coast from me, it is part of the famous Cinqueterre.
Old 01-21-2016, 04:53 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  
Giving up is NOT an option.

Wow, Mera. Vey interesting story!
Old 01-21-2016, 04:58 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

And I'm super jealous that you live in Italy. I haven't been to Cinque Terre but I did spend about a week on the Amalfi coast years ago. Still one of my favorite places I've been to. I've been to Italy 3 times and I absolutely love it. I have a fantasy of living there when I retire. If I win the lottery or something.
Old 01-21-2016, 05:12 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

And congratulations on the job, Tetra! That is fantastic!
Old 01-21-2016, 05:13 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Italy is an absolute favourite of mine too - spent a week in Limone on Lake Garda last year and 9 nights just near Lido De Jesolo a few years ago - most fantastic holiday - drove down through Germany on the Romantic Road staying overnight in a quaint place called Dinklesbuhl not far from where they filmed Chitty Chitty Bang Bang, driving through the Austrian Alps where we couldn't see the end of the car due to thick fog and heavy rain then into Northern Italy, the highlight of the trip staying on Lake Thun in Switzerland. The drive through the Alps from Italy to Switzerland was simply the most breath taking scenery ever, due to an accident at the Gotthard tunnel we were at the front of the queue and were offered the option of waiting or driving over the Neufenen Pass - WOW - absolutely stunning and the best drive ever, some of the roads were superb and pretty much empty too - great fun. One holiday that apart from the days we were situated in Italy wasn't entirely dominated by the booze as I had plenty of driving to do, if we hadn't already paid for the next one I know exactly what we would be doing this year and will be in the future.
Old 01-21-2016, 05:17 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Tetra, that's great news! Congratulations.

Hello everyone. I can see some pics and not others. I suspect if it's not done with tinypic, I can't. Bummer. I guess it'll be a desktop day for SR. Scrambling for work. Daughter hogged bathroom this morning.
Old 01-21-2016, 05:20 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Ruby - can you see mine? I used Tinypic.
Old 01-21-2016, 05:25 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Here is a sunset I took last summer. I love living on the shores of Lake Erie, this is from the park on my street. About 2 minutes walk away. That park is my "meditation" zone - I often just go and sit on the beach and listen to the waves - not in the winter though!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
sunset.jpg (61.2 KB, 81 views)
Old 01-21-2016, 05:33 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Mera! What a lovely entrance into the Weekender thread. Please stick around, this is a great group of folks.
Old 01-21-2016, 05:36 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Mera I loved your Moracco story.
Old 01-21-2016, 05:47 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  
...holds the key

Morning gang!
Xo
Old 01-21-2016, 06:08 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  
One Day At A Time

Hi, 'Enders!

....Popping in to wish everyone a fabulous sober weekend!
Old 01-21-2016, 06:19 AM
  # 37 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by biminiblue View Post
Mera! What a lovely entrance into the Weekender thread. Please stick around, this is a great group of folks.
I know you are all great. One of the reasons I usually don't get involved is I have a hard time keeping up with the fast moving threads! But I logged on right at the beginning today so thought I'd join in I also love looking at people's photos, especially vacation photos. I love to travel but still have so many places to go and see- pictures give me so many new ideas!

And I did also want to say congratulations to Tetra!!! Fantastic news!
Old 01-21-2016, 06:21 AM
  # 38 (permalink)  

One that I don't have pics for anyway but truly was the most breath taking I have witnessed was at Petra in Jordan, the Jewel which is the main attraction and made famous in the Indiana Jones & The Last Crusade film was amazing and to see how all the rooms inside were at perfect right angles, you could also see the size of the tools they would have used from the markings - this over 2500 years ago !! -

The whole place stretches for miles and miles with so much to see, I was with my overseas agent from Jordan and was sat taking a breather after alot of climbing and walking when a young American lady walked passed us (funnily enough kitted out in Indiana Jones attire pretty much) with a local Bedouin elderly gentleman, she said hello as she walked past and that this man was telling her she must come with him, we decided we should stay put and see if she was ok, after a while she returned and told us we must go around to see what she had seen, as we turned the corner there was his small dwelling over looking the most awe inspiring mountain range ever and what looked like a perfectly kept English country garden in full bloom, to see this pretty much on its own on the side of the mountain was surreal, wish I had a picture of it to show but can still see it ever so vividly.
Old 01-21-2016, 06:21 AM
  # 39 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by RedAndy View Post
The drive through the Alps from Italy to Switzerland was simply the most breath taking scenery ever.
Here's a shot I took in the Swiss Alps. I didn't ski this vacation as I was pregnant with my second, but did a lot of snow walking UP the slopes!

Old 01-21-2016, 06:23 AM
  # 40 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Meraviglioso View Post
I know you are all great. One of the reasons I usually don't get involved is I have a hard time keeping up with the fast moving threads! But I logged on right at the beginning today so thought I'd join in I also love looking at people's photos, especially vacation photos. I love to travel but still have so many places to go and see- pictures give me so many new ideas!

And I did also want to say congratulations to Tetra!!! Fantastic news!
You don't have to keep up. That sounds pretty alcoholic of you!

Ugh. I have so many little "rules" for myself. I don't even like rules, but I manage to make up rules for forum use, too. Obsessively trying to control my world, one rule at a time.

One of the things I really like about this thread is its stream-of-consciousness. I don't have to answer everyone and I don't have to have an opinion about everything.

Just pop in whenever. Lots of people do.