Notices

Looking for perspective?

Old 01-23-2016, 12:06 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by zenchaser View Post
You have a point about community. The local police have told us similar things about taking care of each other.

Volunteering and getting to know some these men to help them reintegrate is also on my radar. If it's going to be here then I want it to do some good. Still I'm not crazy about the idea.
This is what I think might be your best option. If its going to be there, maybe you can become involved somehow. I understand your concern about attracting undesirables. But if you are involved, maybe you can have some input? I dunno, just a thought.
Old 01-23-2016, 01:29 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ALinNS View Post
I have a little bit of experience only from helping in their kitchen/serving on special occasions a few times over the years and talking to guys in detox that ended up at the one in Halifax. From what I know they run a very tight ship, set hours and strict rules, one sniff of booze and you are out the door and it's desperate hard to get back in.

I am not aware of a program that they have per say, the guys I have spoken with used the facility as a last resort vs sleeping on the streets, I seem to think they were required to attend AA however I stand to be corrected.

I had a quick look at their site here, if you are really concerned, I would suggest you speak with one of the staff to put your mind at ease, as I said I have little experience with them however they were always very easy to talk to, some of the Canadian stats on their page are very sad, many alcoholics living one pay cheque away from living on the streets with a life expectancy of 39. The Salvation Army in Canada Shelters

Andrew
I have spoken to two men representing the SA about what their policy will be regarding drugs and alcohol. It will be located next to an already sketchy park with a Beer Store adjacent. Not a sane alignment at all. I wanted to know whether these men would be allowed entry if they took advantage of the convenience of a beer store so close by or if they would be left hanging in the streets. I was told that they will be allowed in as long as they aren't too intoxicated, but that they are not allowed to bring drugs or alcohol into the building. I don't know if AA is required of them or not.

Yes it is indeed disturbing how many people are living on the edge. I couldn't imagine sleeping on the streets or needing a shelter. Not knowing if I will eat. Being cold and desperate. No one should have to live like that, especially in a country as wealthy as Canada. I will say again that they only way to solve this is to give people homes first.
Old 01-23-2016, 03:42 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Administrator

Zen, I think you're doing the right thing by asking questions of the people involved in the SA center. I'm not sure how old your children are, but can you explain the situation to them?
Old 01-28-2016, 07:45 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

So it was voted through yesterday. There is no doubt that there is a need for it and that the SA does a lot of good.

Still I'm uncomfortable with 80 men with serious social and economicaly problems living across the street from me, in a way that I'm not with the womens shelter being close by as well. Why? Because I've had no experience with women making me fearful and I've had plenty with men. This isn't just some sterotype, these are my real life experiences. Years ago when this neighborhood was still considered undesirable, when I bought here cuz I could afford it, I was chased up the street while pushing my double stroller by a crackhead who told me he was going to bash my f-ing head into the sidewalk. Crack has an incredibly hard come down, couple that with mental illness and having no home to go to. The SA is only offering shelter for the night and only if they are together enough to come in without causing trouble.

Anna my boys are already city kids, and they are getting bigger, still this is closer to home than comfortable. They are used to seeing all aspects of city life, not at this level though, and not "in their backyards".

Hawk I've been fixing up my place, doing projects that I wanted to do regardless, but in the back of my mind it's out of fear. I don't know how this is going to play out and I want to be ready to sell if I decide to.

Ideally this shelter comes in and it's relatively quiet and these men take advantage of the services provided and they get the help they need to put their lives together.

I guess only time will tell. Hope for the best but plan for the worst.