Notices

Hello

Old 01-20-2016, 03:33 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Hello

Jon here from England.

I joined this forum for some advice and moral support.

I have been drinking 3 large spirits, 1 bottle of wine and perhaps a nightcap every day for way over 8 years and before that drank a fair amount.

Over the Christmas holidays I had a few heavier days and one morning felt really bad with some abdominal pains, that worried and scared me.

I eased back a little and Googled my symptoms, silly thing to do but an eye opener, for sure.

So my plan is to cut right back and try and educate myself. So far I am on day 3 with not many cravings, probably because what I read scared me.

I have started taking Vit B12 complex, FolicAcid and Milk Thistle. Drinking lots of water and getting some good sleep.

I feel far better in myself, itching like mad in the evenings and I awake with a headache, albeit a mild one.

I realise many on here have drunk way more for far longer than me but we were all on a similar path.
Old 01-20-2016, 03:43 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I think based on experience and reading, if we continue this sickness leads us all to the same spot in the end.

Welcome to the forum and it's a very good sign to reach out for help, I am of the mind a plan to stay sober is critical, having someone to hold us accountable that understands and is sober (both professional and people I met in groups) very important and lots of reading to understand this sickness and brought me to where I am today.

All the best
Andrew
Old 01-20-2016, 03:56 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Hillbilly Girl

Glad you are here Jon.....much support & understanding here
Old 01-20-2016, 04:22 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Do your best

Welcome Jon
Old 01-20-2016, 04:35 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hiya Jon, we can do this! both on day 3, great support on here, catch up with you on day 4! take care.
Old 01-20-2016, 07:32 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum Jon!!
Old 01-20-2016, 01:16 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and welcome Jon

That's a lot to be consuming daily, and 8 years is a long time.
I have to be honest I think the changes of you 'cutting right back' are pretty slim.

Have you considered not drinking at all?

D
Old 01-20-2016, 01:22 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR, Jon.

Hope that you decide to eliminate the alcohol altogether. It's so much simpler and the rewards are great.

Glad you found us, Jon.
Old 01-20-2016, 01:31 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
mav
just keep swimming

Hey Jon. We've got similar history, similar volume and length of time. Everyone's different and the problem is different for everyone. What is not much for one person is way too much for another. The thing we share is this evil addiction to a n evil substance.

You may want to go to the GP and get some tests done. It'll either be great news or a proper shock to the system. Either way you'll know what you're facing. It's up to you if you admit to them how much you drink but if you do they may advise that you phase out the drinking so that you don't shock your body too much if you went cold turkey. But FWIW I agree with Dee... I tried cutting back and moderating for years... It just didn't work, I'm an all or nothing person... So right now I'm nothing.

Anyway, good luck and keep going.
Old 01-20-2016, 01:56 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MAV View Post
Hey Jon. We've got similar history, similar volume and length of time. Everyone's different and the problem is different for everyone. What is not much for one person is way too much for another. The thing we share is this evil addiction to a n evil substance.

You may want to go to the GP and get some tests done. It'll either be great news or a proper shock to the system. Either way you'll know what you're facing. It's up to you if you admit to them how much you drink but if you do they may advise that you phase out the drinking so that you don't shock your body too much if you went cold turkey. But FWIW I agree with Dee... I tried cutting back and moderating for years... It just didn't work, I'm an all or nothing person... So right now I'm nothing.

Anyway, good luck and keep going.
Hi Mav,

When I say 3 large spirits, I mean 3 big measures, so perhaps a 1 litre bottle per week. Then the wine of course and a nightcap maybe twice per week.

I know terminology around a the world differs. Is that what you were thinking too?

Day 3 is ending fine with no adverse effects, so far.
Old 01-20-2016, 02:18 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Jon, have u actually stopped drinking or cutting down?? Oh sorry......& welcome!!!👋👋x
Old 01-20-2016, 02:21 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by loulou1981 View Post
Jon, have u actually stopped drinking or cutting down?? Oh sorry......& welcome!!!👋👋x
One day at a time, this is a period of self exploration.
Old 01-20-2016, 02:24 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Administrator

Originally Posted by Pippinw View Post
When I say 3 large spirits, I mean 3 big measures, so perhaps a 1 litre bottle per week. Then the wine of course and a nightcap maybe twice per week.

I know terminology around a the world differs. Is that what you were thinking too?
Yeah terminology does differ but I knew what you meant and I still think that's a lot.
Tough new guidelines issued on alcohol have cut recommended drinking limits and say there is no such thing as a safe level of drinking.

The UK's chief medical officers say new research shows any amount of alcohol can increase the risk of cancer.

The new advice says men and women who drink regularly should consume no more than 14 units a week - equivalent to six pints of beer or seven glasses of wine.

Pregnant women should not drink at all.

It also says if people drink, it should be moderately over three or more days and that some days should be alcohol-free.

Nor should people "save up" their units and drink them all in one or two goes. Heavy drinking sessions increase the risk of accidents and injury, it says.

Alcohol limits cut to reduce health risks - BBC News
D
Old 01-20-2016, 02:24 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family. I'm glad you joined us. You'll find lots of support here.
Old 01-20-2016, 02:52 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
mav
just keep swimming

Originally Posted by Pippinw View Post
Hi Mav,

Day 3 is ending fine with no adverse effects, so far.
Yeah, kinda... I just meant that the vast majority of alcoholics are totally different from the stereotypical "litre of a vodka a day, need a drink to get out of bed" types. Being an alcoholic is in my opinion not even defined by how much you actually drink. I read something recently that basically had 4 bullets to the effect of... "If you think you have a problem, you probably do. If you're ever ashamed of your drinking (hiding it from others) you probably have a problem. " etc.

Great job on 3 days. I hope you get a sense of achievement out of that - remember that feeling!
Old 01-21-2016, 11:08 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Day 4 almost through and no issues.

I had itchy skin for a few nights but that has now stopped and it wasn't that much really.

No shakes and no real desire for any booze even though there is booze around the house, left over from Christmas.

I'm lucky as my wife is cutting it out too, not as she drank very much anyway.
Old 01-21-2016, 11:27 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Hi Jon,

I'm on day 1! Day 4 is such a good start. Well done. I'll be there soon after you. I'll need to keep corrie and eastenders turned off, they always give me the urge. They drink straight vodka like water and the sound of watching wine being poured into a glass at 7:30 in the evening has ruined some of my best intentions. Tv shows are defenetly a trigger for me.
All the best
Old 01-21-2016, 11:29 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Do your best

Excellent post D
Old 01-21-2016, 11:38 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Penelopepitstop View Post
Hi Jon,

I'm on day 1! Day 4 is such a good start. Well done. I'll be there soon after you. I'll need to keep corrie and eastenders turned off, they always give me the urge. They drink straight vodka like water and the sound of watching wine being poured into a glass at 7:30 in the evening has ruined some of my best intentions. Tv shows are defenetly a trigger for me.
All the best
I see what you mean, Eastenders in on TV now and they necking Scotch like it's going out of fashion.

I'm sticking to a nice espresso.
Old 01-21-2016, 12:15 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

You will get heaps of support here in whatever tack you decide to take ie 'cut back' or stop completely. It's a learning curve. That's why I like this site so much, it's not hardline. Cutting back never worked for me and find abstinence far easier and free from angst. You are now exploring your relationship with alcohol and that's where it all begins. Welcome Pip.