Notices

My millionth day one is almost over (again)

Old 01-18-2016, 01:05 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

My millionth day one is almost over (again)

Hi my name is Drew and I just wanted to share my story. I've been an everyday drinker, at times an all day drinker, for a while now. In 2012 I got a DUI and somehow managed to quit for nearly a year. I got back into the cycle again until my wife had enough and gave me the boot. It turned out to be a great wake up call as in late October of 2014 I started going to AA and doing great and moved back in with my wife. But in a ridiculous moment in February of 2015 I thought I could have a few beers , which of course you know how that went. Between now and then I've had some decent dry spells including about a month between Oct/Nov., but I never really felt like giving it up. Now that month seems so long ago, but as of today I haven't had a drop so far and I'm finished starting over. It takes everything physically, financially and emotionally from me, and it has to stop. After I get through these first few days I'm heading back to AA and actually do the things they say to do this time. I don't want to throw up in the mornings anymore. I don't want to spend my paycheck sitting in a dimly lit bar. I want to give my wife and friends all of me and not sneak off to take a swig. I saw the movie The Martian and there was a quote where he said he decided he could either sit there and die or get to work solving the problem, and once you solve the first you move on to the next. Thank you for taking time to read this as I know I'll need you all to keep me motivated.
Old 01-18-2016, 01:11 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR, Lenono; very glad you found us.

SR is here for you 24/7/365; there's always someone here. You never have to go it alone.
Old 01-18-2016, 01:11 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome Lenono. Stay close to this group here. They are fantastic people and immensely helpful support!
Old 01-18-2016, 01:12 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thanks, I'm already grateful to have found this site
Old 01-18-2016, 01:17 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR Lenono, this is a great place to get sober
Old 01-18-2016, 01:17 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family. You'll find lots of support here.
Old 01-18-2016, 01:21 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hey, welcome!!! We're here whenever u need us!!!
Old 01-18-2016, 03:58 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Well it's about 7:00 and I'm technically 24 hours without a drink! Thanks for the kind words and support, as I write this now my eyes are filled with tears. It's just such a terrible life to live and I'm so excited and hopeful to keep this attitude up
Old 01-18-2016, 04:09 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Welcome!

You can do it. As previous posters have said, stay close to this forum there are 100s of people here with a wealth of experience to help and guide you. Little tip from me... get involved in a couple of different threads once you have had the time to find your way around here. One of the things I like is that I can connect to serious or lighter hearted discussions depending on my mood.. and it helps you to make contact with different members more quickly.

You have already had some periods of sobriety so you are well armed in terms of you know what to expect. I am sure you can build on and use those previous expériences as a springboard.

Let's make 2016 our best year yet!
Old 01-18-2016, 04:40 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Hi Lenono,

Let me just chime in and welcome you to SR. Having had some sobriety, you know how good you CAN feel. The Gift of Desperation....how very motivating that can be! Been there, done that!!! As everyone has said, this is a lovely spot with lovely, caring people. Jump in !
Old 01-18-2016, 04:52 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

It really is the best feeling in the world. At 2 today I said lets get to 3 and then you can go to the bar, finally the voice stopped, and while I'm a little antsy and I know I probably won't sleep well tonight, I know that tomorrow my personal hardest day will be over and the reward in that is priceless.
Old 01-18-2016, 04:56 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Welcome len17

You are not alone here buddy. I am in no way minimizing day ones. But focus on the now and let the days come and go. You have been there before and it's clear you CAN do it. Stay close to this place. It's one of the greatest places I have found to help me drop the booze. Have a great night.
Old 01-18-2016, 05:13 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

As a pretty much everyday drinker, I always find the first day of not going to the bar or getting a bottle to be one of the hardest hurdles. Everyday after is a hurdle too,mbut for me the more days makes me feel more accountable and stronger, as opposed to the first day where I often justify having a little just to get over any uneasy feelings and try again tomorrow. Right now every hour that I'm not drinking feels like a great victory. I know it's not huge in the scope of things, but hopefully I can remember 1/18/16 as the most important day of my life
Old 01-18-2016, 05:42 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Glad to meet you, Lenono. You are never alone with your struggle.

I was drinking all day when I came crawling in here. I knew I couldn't continue the way I had been, but I was so scared to let go of it. I'm still not sure why - it was no longer fun in any way. It was causing me to do reckless & stupid things - alienating me from everyone. You don't need it in your life - you can get free and have a whole new beginning. Please keep reading and posting.
Old 01-18-2016, 05:46 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I hear great determination in you Lenono...but also a sense of realism. I think that's a great combination. You KNOW each day will be better than the last and at least for me, the further I got from my last drink, the less power it had over me to drag me back down. I was a daily drinker myself, then every 3rd day for the longest time. After too many fits and starts, I can now honestly say that seems very long ago and a world away. Have faith in yourself, reach out to others and I am confident you will succeed and January 18, 2016 will be a day you will celebrate for the rest of your life!!
Old 01-18-2016, 06:09 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Thank you for saying that, it means more than you know. Without all these comments and this board in general, I'm not sure I would have day 2 coming up tomorrow. Thank you all and best of luck
Old 01-18-2016, 08:51 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
One Day At A Time

Welcome to SR, Lenono! This is a wonderful place for supporting your decision to get sober!
Old 01-18-2016, 08:55 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Hi Lenono, so glad you're here... You'll find soooo much support on these forums. Just stay close, and ask for help if you need it. Well done on your day one x
Old 01-19-2016, 09:33 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Do your best

Hi Drew
Old 01-19-2016, 12:33 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum Drew!!