Notices

My millionth day one is almost over (again)

Old 01-19-2016, 01:48 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Thanks for welcoming me. I'm on day 2 and my withdrawals have been really mild compared to previous times I've quit. I even slept really well last night, which I did not expect at all. A little anxiety here and there today but I don't feel sick, and I guess I've saved around $50 over the past couple days now. It's the best feeling in the world feeling optimistic about the future as opposed to only thinking about when and where I'll get my next drink.
Old 01-19-2016, 01:55 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Lenono,

I am so happy you have found our way back.

You are correct - every day, every hour, every minute is a victory.

Stay close, stay clean, you got this.
Old 01-19-2016, 01:55 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Welcome Lenono, you will find a ton of support on SR!!!
Old 01-20-2016, 05:52 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Hi Drew and welcome!

How are you feeling today? Hope all is well.
Old 03-26-2016, 02:19 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Tomorrow I'll be at 70 days! I still get bad anxiety every now and then (including one incident at a concert where it was so bad I was in line to get a drink, then thankfully just left) and I'm hoping it goes away for good soon. But I'm so happy and my wife is thrilled and I'm actually saving money and paying off credit cards. It's a great feeling and I couldn't have done it without reading this board. Still long long ways to go but right now I'll celebrate 70 days. Thanks for all the comments and help!
Old 03-26-2016, 02:33 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  
mav
just keep swimming

Originally Posted by Lenono17 View Post
Tomorrow I'll be at 70 days! I still get bad anxiety every now and then (including one incident at a concert where it was so bad I was in line to get a drink, then thankfully just left) and I'm hoping it goes away for good soon. But I'm so happy and my wife is thrilled and I'm actually saving money and paying off credit cards. It's a great feeling and I couldn't have done it without reading this board. Still long long ways to go but right now I'll celebrate 70 days. Thanks for all the comments and help!
Boom. Great stuff. Keep up the great work!
Old 01-06-2017, 12:55 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

So in about a week it'll be one year since I made this original post. Since then I'm proud to say I have not taken as much as a sip of alcohol. If you are reading this and are suffering or trying to quit but feel you can't, trust me, you can. I was sick all of the time, I had five maxed out credit cards, my marriage was a sham, and I accepted the fact that I would never quit the thing that I knew was responsible for all of that. If you read my first post here you can hear the desperation and hopelessness. I took every single hour of those first few days as a victory, then I took the days, now I don't even pay attention to it. I know how hard it is to quit or how easy it is to justify the next drink, and I know how easy it is to give up and give in. Things for me aren't perfect now, but they are one million times better than they used to be when I was drinking. I still have a hard time feeling totally comfortable in social situations and I still get mild anxiety that is improving all the time. But when I was drinking I was alive but it wasn't a real life at all. I couldn't do anything because I was too sick or worried about someone seeing my drinking. I am so much happier and positive about everything now. So if you want a change, I know you can because I did it, and I was as bad as you can get. I can't tell you how grateful I am to the messages I received here in my first weeks. Take advantage of this site and be as open as possible with people, it really helps. But it's only you that can make the vicious cycle stop. I know how sorry you can feel for yourself but please do not give up. If you take a misstep, don't beat yourself up, but just fix the mistake and move forward. Take it minute by minute and eventually those minutes will turn to days and months and years. I have one year, that isn't much, but this past year I was able to live again, and I know you can too. Thank you everyone for your help, I am truly grateful for this site.
Old 01-06-2017, 01:07 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

So in about a week it'll be one year since I made this original post. Since then I'm proud to say I have not taken as much as a sip of alcohol. If you are reading this and are suffering or trying to quit but feel you can't, trust me, you can. I was sick all of the time, I had five maxed out credit cards, my marriage was a sham, and I accepted the fact that I would never quit the thing that I knew was responsible for all of that. If you read my first post here you can hear the desperation and hopelessness. I took every single hour of those first few days as a victory, then I took the days, now I don't even pay attention to it. I know how hard it is to quit or how easy it is to justify the next drink, and I know how easy it is to give up and give in. Things for me aren't perfect now, but they are one million times better than they used to be when I was drinking. I still have a hard time feeling totally comfortable in social situations and I still get mild anxiety that is improving all the time. But when I was drinking I was alive but it wasn't a real life at all. I couldn't do anything because I was too sick or worried about someone seeing my drinking. I am so much happier and positive about everything now. So if you want a change, I know you can because I did it, and I was as bad as you can get. I can't tell you how grateful I am to the messages I received here in my first weeks. Take advantage of this site and be as open as possible with people, it really helps. But it's only you that can make the vicious cycle stop. I know how sorry you can feel for yourself but please do not give up. If you take a misstep, don't beat yourself up, but just fix the mistake and move forward. Take it minute by minute and eventually those minutes will turn to days and months and years. I have one year, that isn't much, but this past year I was able to live again, and I know you can too. Thank you everyone for your help, I am truly grateful for this site.
I read through the whole thread without realizing that it started a year ago and got to this last post. Very inspirational! Congratulations on a sober year! I hope I can achieve that.
Old 01-06-2017, 01:09 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Thanks for letting us know the good news, Lenono. You and I were in similar shape when we found SR. It took a while to dig out of the mess I had caused, but as you said - it's much better sober. We can gradually fix and repair things - and thankfully there won't be any more disasters (due to alcohol) to clean up. I'm glad you shared your story - it's sure to help those just signing on to begin their journey.
Old 01-06-2017, 03:59 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  
Administrator

Great update Lenono - congrats

D
Old 01-06-2017, 06:30 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Thanks for checking back in, it's great to hear a success story!
Old 01-06-2017, 06:35 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Congrats on the first of many sober years!
Old 01-06-2017, 06:49 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Congrats on a year, great job!
Old 01-06-2017, 07:10 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Congrats on the first of many years! Thanks for sharing such an inspirational post, things are definitely so much easier to deal with sober.

Hope you keep checking in.

❤️ Delilah
Old 01-07-2017, 12:21 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  

Thanks for all the kind words, they mean more than you could possibly know (well you probably know). I hope my story can help someone just like all yours have helped me!
Old 01-07-2017, 12:27 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  
Recovering

That was brilliant to read. Thank you for coming back to share.
Old 01-07-2017, 01:06 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  

Congrats!! Wonderful news!! Good for you!
Old 01-07-2017, 02:24 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  

So glad to read your story of hard earned success! Really great timing for a new year inspiration!
Old 01-07-2017, 04:00 PM
  # 39 (permalink)  

It really is the best feeling in the world. At 2 today I said lets get to 3 and then you can go to the bar, finally the voice stopped, and while I'm a little antsy and I know I probably won't sleep well tonight, I know that tomorrow my personal hardest day will be over and the reward in that is priceless.
Yes!!!!!! You can do it!
Old 01-07-2017, 04:45 PM
  # 40 (permalink)  

Fantastic post. I'm so happy for you, Lenono! This is what it's all about!