Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > New to Addiction and Recovery? > Newcomers to Recovery
Reload this Page >

When and how did you get your Confidence and self worth back??

Notices

Old 01-16-2016, 07:35 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

My confidence and self worth are low especially now that I stopped drinking.

I would never want to go back to drinking, though!! I was just running from issues.

I'm sorting through things in therapy and have been a few years.

But has anyone else suffered from low confidence and self worth after you quit? When did this return and how did you get it back?

Last edited by SportsFan15; 01-16-2016 at 07:36 PM. Reason: Forgot to finish
Old 01-16-2016, 07:48 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

For me when I reached out for the help I needed, added to my plan and went to all lengths to keep this AV under wraps. Early recovery is rough, for me I am putting just about every ounce of energy I have into getting the help I should have received a very long time ago. I won't beat myself up as the past has been written and tomorrow is within my control if I stick to my plan. The moment I focus on the past unless in the presence of a health care professional, I am screwed, I know that so I don't go there unless I am with them. When not I attend meetings in person and online, stay close to this forum as I am a firm believer in RR and it's working for me.

Wishing you the best
Andrew

Last edited by ALinNS; 01-16-2016 at 07:49 PM. Reason: typo
Old 01-16-2016, 10:59 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

After I quit...No. When I was drinking...I was the scum of the earth.

Next question.

DD
Old 01-16-2016, 11:35 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
now's the time

No answers, just a hug because I'm struggling with that a lot lately too.
Old 01-17-2016, 04:31 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
You can have reasons, or you can have results, but you can't have both.

My confidence/self-esteem need a little work as well. I'm setting some goals in those areas in my recovery plan. Once I start making progress toward my business, financial, fitness, and social goals, I'm pretty sure I'll start walking with my head a little higher.

Would something like that help you? Set some small goals and start seeing progress toward them?
Old 01-17-2016, 05:01 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Do your best

Give time a lil time things will improve think of something you can add to your plan that is going to help with this

Volunteering made me feel better about myself in the beginning
Old 01-17-2016, 05:13 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Living sober was all I needed to do, plus being grateful for my blessings helped my attitude a lot. I think I felt much more secure by six months.
Old 01-17-2016, 07:29 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SportsFan15 View Post
But has anyone else suffered from low confidence and self worth after you quit?
At first, yes.

When did this return
It is slowly returning over time.

and how did you get it back?
I stopped believing the lies. I gained confidence and self worth by looking for it in the right places and not the wrong places anymore. I looked within.

Nice to see you again, Sportsfan. :-)
Old 01-17-2016, 07:34 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

When and how did you get your Confidence and self worth back ?

6 months to a year.
Time goes by fast.
Enjoy each sober day.
Mountainmanbob
Old 01-17-2016, 07:59 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Just going into work not reeking of alcohol and not hung over did wonders for my self esteem. It's a great feeling to having to hide all that stuff every morning.
Old 01-17-2016, 08:07 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Alive in the Superunknown

I had a sober night in December when, looking back on the way I had been to the people I love, I despised that person, hated him. What I didn't understand was that that person -- me, the old me -- wasn't really here any more.

And the farther I get into sobriety, the more I understand about myself, the more I realize that I have to self-examine all my behaviors, not because it's good to be hyper-critical (don't practice that!) but because honesty begins at home, too. Mote, beam, and all that. But -- the farther I get into my recovery, the more I realize that while it's to dislike the person you once were, there's no point to being angry at that person, much less hating him.

In short: my self-esteem is much better now; I'm resilient enough to criticize myself much more harshly than anyone else does.
Old 01-17-2016, 10:29 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I had to really work on my life when I quit drinking, mere abstinence was only half the story.

Though I had to sit down and really think about what I wanted to do, new hobbies,, new interests, new projects, new goals, all of theses things started to increase my confidence and self worth, eventually I was good at something again, rather than the destructive chaos that alcohol created in my life.

Hang in there, with time it will get better!!
Old 01-17-2016, 10:42 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

My confidence and self worth are low especially now that I stopped drinking.

I would never want to go back to drinking, though!! I was just running from issues.

But has anyone else suffered from low confidence and self worth after you quit? When did this return and how did you get it back?
The self hatred was at it's worst the last few years I drank. I noticed when I would relapse it would return with a vengeance. For me it has been as soon as the last hangover was gone....well it started to return. To get it back fully only a couple of weeks. No doctor by any means but look at what you do to your body and mind when drinking alcoholically. Dehydration, low blood sugar plus soaking your brain in liquor. These things will affect you emotionally.
Old 01-17-2016, 03:32 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Administrator

Service work really helped me - volunteering etc.
I had no faith in my self or my abilities after 20 years drinking

Doing good and helping others made me feel helpful and useful.

Solving problems sober gave me more confidence in may abilities and helped me grow a little.

All that kinda stuff gave the self hatred less traction

D
Old 01-17-2016, 07:20 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Please keep the replies coming..I really appreciate all your perspectives. Thank you!!
Old 01-17-2016, 08:57 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I won't go into detail but my confidence, self worth, every inch of my being took a major blow and lasted for many years. I'm just now starting to get it back. I drank to numb all of it, turns out I was drinking away the good too.....sigh
Old 01-17-2016, 10:34 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I often think my drinking was mostly about an effort to escape chronic low confidence and low self-worth. During the time alcohol still worked for me, it loosened my extreme inhibitions and gave me artificial confidence. Of course, in the long run, it relentlessly stole away exactly what I thought it was giving me.

As for when things started to get better, it took a while. My confidence is still by no means secure. I have periods when I feel what I like to call the "Three Ns" — iNcompetent, iNadequate, iNferior — but overall things are slowly getting better. No matter how dark things got, I hung onto the knowledge that drinking would only make them worse.

As for how, early in recovery someone told me "in order to feel self-esteem, be esteemable." Part of my work in sobriety has been to try to live in accordance with the principles underlying AA's 12 Steps, which boil down (at least superficially) to a constant effort to "do the next right thing."

I also recognize that feelings aren't facts, and even though I may feel low about myself, I can at least try not to believe the feelings.

Lastly, you don't mention how long you've been sober, but I know that for me at least, it took a while for my brain chemistry itself to settle down and stabilize after I quit drinking. The phrase "emotional roller coaster" is used often, and while my roller coaster didn't have many highs, it certainly had plenty of lows in early sobriety.
Old 01-18-2016, 12:46 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Great thread -- thanks for starting it.

I think a lot of have these issues -- we think it we stop drinking it will fix us, and then realise that we have to fix us.

It will get better.
Old 01-18-2016, 05:53 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
zjw

I still struggle with this sometimes mainly around certain individuals generally i'll remind myself I dont need there approval etc..

But overall its improved. I started little by little doing things i was good at and doing them again and again and again because it helped me feel better abut myself and like iw as at least good for something.

So for me it was getting involved in a hobby of sorts or some kind of activity and just making sure I do it daily or so. all the while reminding myself that i'm worth something and not to allow others make me feel otherwise.

Not to long ago I was around someone who was one of those someones where it can still be hard for me. They made one of there usual digs at me. I laughed in my head and thought you didnt just do tht did you? I proceded to explain to the person that they where wrong. I did my best to not allow it to get to me and move on. BUt it was like ya know some people will never change But I dont have to allow it to make me feel like crap.
Old 01-18-2016, 07:04 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

"sorting through things in therapy" for me was how my confidence and self worth began to improve.

For decades, my self confidence and worth came in part from a bottle, from drugs, from the distortion that they gave me.

When I was no longer 'protected' from my own feelings by drugs and alcohol, I needed to face them and work on them. That took time, but in sobriety I was able to be honest with myself and with my therapist and begin to understand the root of my personal beliefs and challenges.

It takes time, it takes honesty, it takes patience and change. It is infinitely better than the false security of alcohol and it is all worth it.