Notices

6 Weeks

Old 01-16-2016, 06:24 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

6 Weeks

Well, I made it 6 weeks.

I have no desire to drink, most of the time. The first couple weeks were difficult.
Occasionally I get that sudden craving but I push it away quickly. I seriously do not want to go back.

Unfortunately, my depression has not really lifted. Some mornings I find it almost impossible to drag myself out of bed. I would seek help for it but the last time I did that I left the doctor's office feeling ten times worse.

I really can't pinpoint what is causing the depression, I guess some of it could be situational. Things aren't exactly as I'd like them to be, I feel a lot of loneliness and awful guilt feelings over past behavior.

Also I can't seem to lose the 35 lbs. I packed on over the last 5 years, it just won't budge and of course that affects my mood every day.
I try to eat right and exercise but it's so hard to stick to it when my energy is zilch, and then I feel Worse if I'm not taking care of myself.

Anyway, just thought I'd check in, I do feel good about being sober this time, it doesn't feel like a punishment. It feels like I'm doing something good for myself. I have no plans of going back, I like being free, I just wish I could find some more joy in life.
Old 01-16-2016, 06:39 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Jessie

I'm sorry you had a bad time at the Drs last time. Maybe a second opinion is worth the ehfort tho?

Congrats on 6 weeks anyway
D
Old 01-16-2016, 07:08 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Congratulations Jessie!

I second Dee's suggestion about the second opinion.

You may need some help to get you feeling better.
Old 01-16-2016, 07:14 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Congratulations on 6 weeks! I agree that a second opinion may be an idea.

Hugs and prayers,

Amy
Old 01-16-2016, 07:23 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Keep at it - alcohol is a depressant with lots of calories (and I willingly sucked that down nightly- even looked forward to it?? WTH!?)
Stick with it, 6 weeks is fantastic! :-)
Old 01-16-2016, 10:46 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

well done on six weeks, Jessie. I'm sorry you're not feeling better ... it does usually get better with time, and perhaps also with some outside help? It took me awhile to start losing weight, too -- I thought it would come right off when I quit drinking, but it is going very slowly. The exercise really helps my mood though, even though the weight loss is slow.

Hang in there ... hugs to you.
Old 01-17-2016, 05:29 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Do your best

Seeing and opening up to a Dr was one of the best decision i made in recovery I hope you get the 2nd Opinion
Old 01-17-2016, 07:19 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thank-you all, I appreciate the thoughts. I've considered seeing a different doctor but we recently lost our health insurance and times are tight.
It's hard for me to talk about it also, especially when I have a husband that is clueless about alcoholism and mental health problems. That's not meant to be an insult, he just doesn't get it at all, he thinks it's all in my head.
I'm praying that it gets better with continued sobriety.
Old 01-17-2016, 10:16 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

6 Weeks is fantastic Jessie!!
Old 01-17-2016, 03:42 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

Jessie there are a lot of free or low cost clinics around - if there's one in your local area you might get some medical advice there?

Free/Low-Cost/Sliding Scale Clinics | NeedyMeds
The 10377 clinics in this database are free, low cost, low cost with a sliding scale based on income, or offer some type of financial assistance.
Call 2-1-1

2-1-1 provides free and confidential information and referral. Call 2-1-1 for help with food, housing, employment, health care, counseling and more. Learn more about your local 2-1-1 by looking it up here.