Notices

OK...now what?

Old 01-16-2016, 05:18 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

OK...now what?

I need some help. This story is going to sound a bit weird - so be patient.

After 10 years of heavy drinking - the last 4 years struggling to quit/control/moderate - something finally clicked 55 days ago.

I finally figured out how to stop (for me). It was easy. Painless. Almost embarrassing how simple it was.

And after a short early detox, I spent 3 weeks on a pink cloud - revelling in my sobriety. I cruised through Christmas and New Years.

Now, sadly, the honeymoon is over.

For the past two weeks I have been becoming increasingly shiftless, lazy and despondent. I run my own business and I'm totally unmotivated to work. I'm stuck in quicksand and I'm sinking into indifference.

Thankfully I've got no urge or inclination to drink - but I'm very concerned about this funk I'm slipping into.

Has anyone else had a similar experience? What causes it? How did you deal with it?
Old 01-16-2016, 05:33 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Although I am not a Dr. in mental health I have been around this sickness long enough I think I have herd or seen it all. I know in my case stress, unhealthy feelings do the same thing to my body as a 16 hour day of hard physical labor, no ambition or motivation/energy to do anything.

I would encourage you to explain to your doc what is going on, there could be something or many things you are not aware of at this moment inside that are simply eating your energy up.

I wish you the very best, keep in mind also this sickness wreaks havoc on our bodies and they take time to heal.

Andrew
Old 01-16-2016, 05:35 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Recognizes the Beast

Oh gosh yes, I remember that vividly. It might have something to do with PAWS, or not. The important thing is that it does lift. Exercise and eating health were key for me, but everyone is different. Do you perhaps have some goals or aspirations that you can start to focus on?
Old 01-16-2016, 05:41 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
You can have reasons, or you can have results, but you can't have both.

Like suggested above, bounce it off your doc.

Are you taking good care of your health? Adequate rest? Good nutrition? Maybe some vitamins? Exercise? I know that these basic things can often help break a funk.
Old 01-16-2016, 05:42 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
You can have reasons, or you can have results, but you can't have both.

And many congratulations on your sobriety!
Old 01-16-2016, 06:04 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Absolutely I slip in and out of funks all the time sometimes in the same day. We injured our brains so that is part of it but also we're feeling out feelings now, for me I don't like to be sad, guilty, angry or bored so that often triggers a craving for me (bc that's always been how I dealt with things I don't like) I just spent the last 3 months in treatment identifying just how much my feelings trigger those cravings, it is normal and feeling down is a part of life although exaggerated for those of us in recovery, I've let them take me back out every single time and it always leads to the same place, even more pain and misery and destruction that gets worse with each relapse. Reaching out here is a great step because keeping it inside just makes it stronger. I never started really working the steps because I was always too concerned with other things (work, relationships etc) and I think that was one of my biggest downfalls and I have a sponsor and woman who I call daily to keep myself in check I've only been out of rehab for 3 days and already have made multiple calls to supports and my sponsor because I am in a situation where I can only get to a couple meeting a week. Involving yourself in the program, helping others, even just with a coffee commitment has been a great way for me to be involved and stay connected/accountable. I've tried basically every other way and it didn't work for me so I've surrendered to the fellowship after years of trying to do things my own way but that's just my own experience.

As far as talking to your doctor you may as well, I found out I was self-medicating and was prescribed non-narcotics to deal with depression and anxiety. But getting clean isn't always a fun process, it's painful to grow as people and not to have our crutch, which is why I've come to believe the program is so important even when I think I can handle this, actually especially then.

Best of luck to you and congratulations on your sobriety
Old 01-16-2016, 06:17 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
zjw

I had to get into something. I got into a lot of somethings over the years since just anthing to kinda become an obsession for a while etc. motivate me and give me something to keep myself entertained.

I still have little to no ambition or motivation for work at my job however. I dunno i guess i get my happiness and security elsewhere? so i try focus my time and energy where its the most personally rewarding.

if you just aint into it with work anymore maybe you need to find something else to bring you some joy? for me those somethings have changed evolved etc..

Dont discount the enjoyment of doing nothing too. Its nice to sit back and have no ambition or motivation and do nothing at times as well. who says you always have to be chasing after some carrot? Theres nothing wrong with just sitting and enjoying yourself too.
Old 01-16-2016, 06:31 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and welcome Dad

I think most of us have experienced some depression and amotivation when quitting...but when it gets to be debilitating it's probably best to call in the professionals.

I'm glad you found us though - welcome aboard

D
Old 01-16-2016, 06:35 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

That's a common experience in early recovery. With more sober time things should smooth out. Your body and brain are healing and it takes time.
Old 01-16-2016, 06:48 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I've been in a bit of a funk too lately... For now I'm chalking it up to post holiday let doe and winter blahs... It's been helpful to think of all the things I'm grateful for and just breathe... Music really helps too...
Old 01-16-2016, 07:23 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Trudgin

Part of the evolution of my sobriety has been changing my dietary habits. When drinking we consume a lot of calories that have virtually zero nutritional value but are converted into energy quickly. As we start relying on real food it takes our bodies time to convert this food to energy - hours and not minutes.

Recently I dug out my old bread machine and started making whole grain breads - whole wheat and rye breads. Excellent source of fiber and much better than mass produced white or store bought "wheat" bread. I eat a 10 grain hot cereal for breakfast with some blueberry's. There are many examples....I just had to educate myself. The nutritional forum on SR helped start the thought process for me. Early in recovery I ate wayyyyy to much sugar - I allow myself too much replacement reward junk I suppose.

Dietary changes have helped me a lot with energy levels and focus. Our cells take a bloody beating! Good eats help repair the damage........maybe something to look at!?

Thanks for the thread
Old 01-16-2016, 07:29 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Thanks everybody!

To be honest, I'd never heard of PAWS before and - following some quick research - I'm apparently the poster child for it.

It blows my mind that I had read about 50+ books on Alcoholism and Addiction and this is the first mention of PAWS. I guess I was just looking for answers to stop drinking - not what happens after that.

Thanks for your guidance and support. It looks like I've got some more research to do.
Old 01-16-2016, 07:45 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Last time I got sober..I hit a wall around 3 months- to the point I Couldnt get out of bed..luckily for me it passed but I agree with the others--- Go and speak to a doctor. Good luck and keep going X
Old 01-16-2016, 11:57 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I think for many of this there is that moment of "Wait, a minute. I can't drink anymore? This sucks." We think we're missing out on something.

I was frustrated for a while that I wasn't like everybody I know who can truly enjoy moderate drinking. They enjoy beers at happy hour, etc. I can't.

That doesn't frustrate me anymore. I'm used to not drinking now. I'm not missing out on anything really. In fact, regular drinkers don't even drink to get drunk so even if I were like them I wouldn't be able to drink like I wanted, which was to get obliterated on alcohol.

Some people can just do things that others can't. My diabetic friend can't eat the amount of carbs I can.
Old 01-17-2016, 12:15 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

How long did it take you to feel happy about not drinking any more?
Old 01-17-2016, 12:27 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Honestly it was such hell in the end, the drinking, that I was kind of relieved right away. But I would say it took a few months to feel happy about it. At 18 months of sobriety I am completely happy about it and could not imagine going back to the drinking life and being sick all the time.
Old 01-17-2016, 12:32 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Yeah I think that a couple of months sobriety under my belt will make me feel a bit more secure with it.
Old 01-17-2016, 12:41 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

90 days was a huge milestone for me.
Old 01-17-2016, 01:34 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I´m 7 months sober and I still have to sleep a lot.
No wonder since I abused by bod for 2 decades.

I also take an anti-depressant (venlafaxine) which not only controls serotonin but also adrenalin.

This helps me enormously to stay motivated and getting things done.

I too run my own business.

Cheers
S
Old 01-17-2016, 05:24 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Do your best

Welcome Dad23