SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   From monday im going to try and quit (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/383059-monday-im-going-try-quit.html)

ozm8ey 01-15-2016 08:21 PM

From monday im going to try and quit

Hello so I have a goal, from Monday I'm going to try and quit drinking. My only worry is, if i cannot sleep it will do my brain in. See I take medication and have lied to my Doctor in the past that I don't drink because with anti psychotics apparently you should not drink while on them. Also I want to lose about 15 kgs but I seem unable to do so while drinking 4-10 beers per night. Another worry is boredom, so my plan is to buy a cool video game or something :)

Thank you for reading.

melki 01-15-2016 08:24 PM

Why wait till Monday? Start today.

Drinking severely interferes with healthy sleep.

FLCamper 01-15-2016 08:27 PM

I worried a lot about sleeping - which didn't help the situation. But, being tired is way, way, way, way better than being hungover! Don't let that be an excuse to drink.

countrygirl2014 01-15-2016 08:28 PM

I slept so awesome after that first sober day or two.

Jennifer

Coldfusion 01-15-2016 08:30 PM

If you are worried about not sleeping Monday, the time to quit is now. Do you have a job? Wouldn't it be better to be recovered before the work week?

Dee74 01-15-2016 10:12 PM

Some great advice here :)

I think a little insomnia is par for the course for most of us, but it does get progressively better.

I agree with the idea of stopping today - you could be well on your recovery way by Monday, Matey...

certainly a lot better than quitting Sunday night...or theb wee hours of Monday morning.

Berrybean 01-15-2016 10:24 PM

I agree - you don't need a weekend of 'final drinking spree' to compound any issues.

Like others say, you may not sleep so well in the first week. Thing is, it sounds like your brain is already being done in with mixing alcohol and prescription drugs, so sleeplessness isn't really going to do it in much more ;)

Why not check out some meetings in the evenings next week? If you get the days and times noted over the weekend, and check on a map where they are (maybe even walk or drive round the areas and find the buildings so you know where they are if you need them) then you'll be good and prepared to get to a meeting instead of giving into the urge to drink.

MelindaFlowers 01-15-2016 10:47 PM

Originally Posted by FLCamper (Post 5743551)
I worried a lot about sleeping - which didn't help the situation. But, being tired is way, way, way, way better than being hungover! Don't let that be an excuse to drink.

I second this. I didn't sleep at all the first night and spent a lot of time reading on here. And 6 AM came around I got in the shower got dressed and went to work. Sure I felt a little spacey but I did actually think during that day: Whoa. This actually feels a lot better than a hangover.

I was sipping water and drinking soup all night. I think my body took it especially hard because I literally drank myself to sleep every single night. Like 365 days a year so a sober night was quite a surprise to my body.

Just a warning though. Monday won't necessarily be any easier than today to quit. There is never a perfect time. In fact I spent about four years waiting for the perfect time before I finally decided that I would do absolutely anything to stop drinking.

LBrain 01-16-2016 02:11 AM

Like others are wondering, why wait until Monday.

What I'm also wondering is how the drinking affects your meds. I'm not a chemist, but since you've been lying to your doctor about it, there might be a chance stopping drinking may have an impact since your body is used to it. I would tell the doctor.

Steely 01-16-2016 02:25 AM

Hi Ozm,

My daughter takes anti-psychotics and was drinking on top. She has schizophrenia. She has not had a drink for about 3 months and the improvement is staggering. She is much more stable, has lost weight and thankfully sees for herself that stopping drinking has made a huge difference both physically and mentally. It makes me so happy. This can be true for you too.

FreeOwl 01-16-2016 02:59 AM

Welcome.

While i wish you the best and am here to support and applaud your decision, I want to point out two significant flaws in your plan:

'Try'
'Monday'

These are liabilities. I urge you to rethink them for ways to imorove your odds of success.

least 01-16-2016 03:08 AM

Welcome to the family. Why not get sober today? :)

ozm8ey 01-16-2016 03:23 AM

Originally Posted by least (Post 5743818)
Welcome to the family. Why not get sober today? :)

My plan was to just drink for the weekend to say last goodbyes to alcohol

mcflurry 01-16-2016 03:29 AM

Hi, I'm new here as well.

The 'last goodbyes' to alcohol is a bad idea- you may do or say something you regret while under the influence and feel a lot worse than you do now. Please think about stopping today. Good luck! :)

Dee74 01-16-2016 03:29 AM

Last hurrahs are rife with danger and things going wrong.

I can't count the number of times I resolved to quit Monday morning but 'had' to drink on Monday cos I felt so bad...and then Tuesday...and then by Wednesday I figured I'd see the week out...so more weeks went by.

If you want to quit, quit.
Make a stand now M8ey - not Monday.

D

SoberinSyracuse 01-16-2016 04:11 AM

A different perspective...

Hi there! Like you, I set a "quit date" in advance. It worked well for me. I'm on Day 7 of sobriety, feeling great, sleeping well, and have a much clearer plan and stronger commitment to sobriety than on my previous two attempts in which I just set the bottle down in disgust swearing, "No more!"

I will start a separate thread on this so it doesn't gum up yours. I'll call it "Why I Didn't Quit Immediately."

I'm very glad you posted here. Good luck!!

Change4good 01-16-2016 05:01 AM

Good for you on your decision to quit! I will leave your quit date alone. . .others have chimed in.

What I WILL suggest is that you switch the words "I will try" to "I will quit." The words we tell ourselves are important. The word "try" gives you a backdoor, and you don't need that. Shut all those doors and commit!

Replacing "try" with "I will do this thing!" gives you more resolve and commitment . You are going to need those things.

And from your previous posts, I will also offer this. You will surely see your weight loss if you cut out those 10 beers and don't substitute with food. Eat healthy, take your meds, and see what your body is capable of!

Best to you, and I don't wish you luck. It is not about luck. It is about making that commitment and doing it. YOU CAN DO THIS! Lean on us as much as you need to.

PurpleKnight 01-16-2016 07:08 AM

Welcome to the Forum Ozm8ey!! :wave:

As others have mentioned, by Monday you could be at Day 3, the more you drink the more your body will have to adjust and heal from, why not start that process straight away.

You'll find loads of support here on SR!! :)

desertsong 01-16-2016 07:29 AM

Welcome to the forum.

This thread reminds me of a woman I went to outpatient treatment with a couple of years ago. She told her story about setting a quit date for a Monday, and had planned to use the weekend before as her "farewell" to alcohol. Well, the Saturday before her quit date, she got hammered, crashed her car, got a DUI and spent until the following Wednesday in jail. She still got her "sober Monday," just not the way she planned. And she had to detox in jail, spend a fortune on attorney fees, and pay for repairs to her car.

Every extra day we allow ourselves to drink is the opportunity for more bad things to come our way. Do it today. You'll be glad you did!

Thumpalumpacus 01-16-2016 07:30 AM

Originally Posted by ozm8ey (Post 5743828)
My plan was to just drink for the weekend to say last goodbyes to alcohol

You're letting the guest overstay his welcome. Send him packing.