Notices

From monday im going to try and quit

Old 01-16-2016, 02:27 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

i stopped drinking on monday for 15 years.
Old 01-17-2016, 12:10 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ozm8ey View Post
My plan was to just drink for the weekend to say last goodbyes to alcohol
Not to harp on it but I had "final goodbyes" with alcohol for four years. It was four years from the time I said "enough" to when I stopped drinking. I joined here four years before I stopped drinking.

There was always an excuse to drink a little bit longer.
Old 01-17-2016, 12:47 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

from tonight (sunday night) Im going to try and stop. Can you guys give me things to do when i get bored though?
Old 01-17-2016, 01:32 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

I haven't had a drink for around 11 weeks and the only time I sleep well these days is when I'm - "bags under my eyes and grumpy as hell, flat out exhausted" from a complete lack of sleep.

Compared to being hungover though, it's utterly blissful.
Old 01-17-2016, 02:14 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  
Administrator

Posting here was good for me m8y.I spent a lot of time on SR.

Here's a list of other things to consider tho:
http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...ething-do.html

D
Old 01-17-2016, 03:55 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MelindaFlowers View Post
I second this. I didn't sleep at all the first night and spent a lot of time reading on here. And 6 AM came around I got in the shower got dressed and went to work. Sure I felt a little spacey but I did actually think during that day: Whoa. This actually feels a lot better than a hangover.

I was sipping water and drinking soup all night. I think my body took it especially hard because I literally drank myself to sleep every single night. Like 365 days a year so a sober night was quite a surprise to my body.

Just a warning though. Monday won't necessarily be any easier than today to quit. There is never a perfect time. In fact I spent about four years waiting for the perfect time before I finally decided that I would do absolutely anything to stop drinking.

This is spot on. I am a true alcoholic. I consumed a quart (sometimes 2) of 94 proof gin every day. In my worst days, I chased the fog and shakes away with a wake-up drink. Then another last drink, then another last drink.....until it came time to pour myself into bed.

I did the withdrawal - probably a dumb move - on my own. The withdrawal was terrible. Tremors, agitation, shaking, irritability, confusion - you name it. Night time brought weird dreams, tremendous sweating and each morning my bed looked as if I had been in a wrestling match.

The back side of all of this is wonderful. I sleep like a baby, my energy level is up, I can plan and execute one day at a time, My wife says "Welcome home, I just got my husband back!"

It's worth it. I recommend to anyone who has a thought of sobriety - DO IT NOW! Don't wait until Monday. DO IT NOW!
Old 01-17-2016, 04:39 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  
You can have reasons, or you can have results, but you can't have both.

So tomorrow is Day 1! Are you ready? Stock up on soft food and lots of liquids, especially water and orange juice, and ice cream (it's a miracle comfort food during withdrawals). If you're up to it, take care of some business today (bills, chores, etc.) so that you can take a few days of bed rest if you need it.

Make sure you have no alcohol in the house as of midnight, and no easy means to get any. One trick is to place credit/debit cards in a bowl of water and freeze them so they're unavailable for impulse purchases.

Keep your phone charged and handy and be sure to call for help if you have serious withdrawal symptoms.

Please post back!
Old 01-17-2016, 04:40 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  
You can have reasons, or you can have results, but you can't have both.

And resist the urge to drink coffee or caffeinated drinks. These are bad for a lot of reasons.
Old 01-17-2016, 06:37 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

ok last night i was bored as hell watching a movie, so i went to bed but couldn't sleep. I was agitated and for some reason i was itchy while trying to sleep. I eventually got to sleep and woke up just before at 1pm. At the moment i don't have any bad symptoms, probably because I only drank at night time, so we'll see
Old 01-17-2016, 06:50 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Good on you for getting through the night mate, stay strong
Old 01-18-2016, 01:14 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Ok guys i just got this weird thing all of a sudden. Basically I hear this buzzing/ringing sound in my head or hears(can't really tell) and its really annoying. I remember this happened last time i quit drinking all of a sudden and it made me start again.
Old 01-18-2016, 01:19 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Don't start again, but if you are worried go see a doctor. The next time will just be worse.

Good luck!
Old 01-18-2016, 01:38 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  
Administrator

Originally Posted by ozm8ey View Post
Ok guys i just got this weird thing all of a sudden. Basically I hear this buzzing/ringing sound in my head or hears(can't really tell) and its really annoying. I remember this happened last time i quit drinking all of a sudden and it made me start again.
It might be tinnitus.
Some people list that as a withdrawal symptom.

If it persists and it's bothering you go see your Dr.
They can help

A drink is just going to take you back to you having to quit and deal with this all over again.

D
Old 01-18-2016, 04:20 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  
Do your best

Youl need a plan Oz there is aa & smart meetings in Australia there is many things to help when your bored but crunch time begins when you get urges or cravings the best advice is that this is your life & reach out when the urges & cravings set in SR will be here waiting to help advise support you when you do Oz

Best of luck with your life, hopefully spk soon
Old 01-18-2016, 04:42 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

The first week of withdrawal can be rough but you just have to ride it out. It gets better, but only if you don't drink.
Old 01-23-2016, 12:31 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  

Smile

Better if you did/could quit now but sometimes you just can't, even though you know you can. I reckon it's OK to set your quit date for Monday if that's what happens, and that you are aware of the risks. See you on sober Monday. Hello Ruby Tuesday.