Notices

Disgraced myself yet again.

Old 01-21-2016, 05:33 AM
  # 81 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by melki View Post
How are you doing now?

I just started taking piano lessons. Very interesting!
me too!
My first one is next Monday.

I'm trying to learn how to read music as I started voice lessons last
fall and can't sight read.

I thought piano would be fun and a good way to learn to read music well.

Funny how much time we have when we don't drink, isn't it?

Your're doing great McFlurry--I've been following your story and really relate.
I'm professional too and moderation was also my downfall.
I didn't want to impact my job situation negatively and that was very motivating.
Old 01-21-2016, 02:50 PM
  # 82 (permalink)  

Hi Snoozy, thankyou for your lovely post, I had a tough day at work today and it really made my day So glad to hear you are sober again and feeling better.

Hawkeye, yeah the piano is the best way to learn to read music I think. With piano the notes are all there in front of you rather than having to play the notes in tune e.g. with violin. (I used to play violin but gave it up when realised it sounded like a cat being strangled!)

At work today I saw a man who was really, really damaged by alcohol, both physically and psychologically. He was young, not even 50, lonely and had no quality of life. Really sad. The security guard said he could not understand how anyone could end up in his position.

All I could think of was 'there for the grace of god..' that could so easily be me. I'm so glad to be here and making this change.
Old 01-21-2016, 02:59 PM
  # 83 (permalink)  

Congratulations on your sober WEEK - woo hoo
Old 01-22-2016, 05:32 PM
  # 84 (permalink)  

Day 8 has been hard. Went to a dinner party tonight, hosted by the friends I mentioned who don't drink. A couple of people were drinking wine, but it didn't bother me too much as whenever I go there I never drink as I'm always driving. Someone suggested opening a bottle of prosecco and that did make me feel quite anxious but in the end it didn't get opened, as not many people were drinking.
We had a nice evening and I left around midnight.

Did some late night shopping at the 24h supermarket on the way home (husband had ordered it online, but, in his hurry, had failed to order anything to make a complete meal ). I was standing alone in the lonely supermarket with only a few dejected looking supermarket workers and a couple of staggering, slurring teenagers for company, when the AV decided to hit me like a sledgehammer. 'Oh go on, you were good not drinking at your friends, pick up a bottle of prosecco, it's Friday night, husband is on night shifts, he'll never know.'

I didn't realise it could be this strong and actually make you break out in a sweat and give you palpitations. It was horrible. I actually left the supermarket only having bought half the stuff I wanted and drove home.

Now I'm back home with the (30kg) dog on my knee having a tea and feeling a lot better. Hope tomorrow is a better day.
Old 01-22-2016, 05:47 PM
  # 85 (permalink)  
Life Goes On

Excellent, mcflurry!
Only two more days and you'll be to the Big One Zero.

Imagine how pleasant it will be to wake up in the morning feeling well and knowing that you didn't sneak anything past your husband or go against your own true wishes. Having integrity is a very good feeling, dontcha think?
Old 01-22-2016, 06:49 PM
  # 86 (permalink)  

mcflurry, you did so well at the supermarket! Yes, the voice of AV can be very strong and conniving. Congrats on your first week, day 8, and now second sober weekend!

I am finding it so exciting to start reading music. It feels a lot like learning a new language. Very neat and lots to discover. Glad we went with the piano too. My son wanted to learn guitar, but piano made more sense to start, and now I'm really glad we went with it.

Hawkeye, let me know how you like your lessons. I must admit I'm quite enjoying learning it at the kids' level -- so many fun worksheets and videos. Practicing some basic scales now, learning notes and corresponding keys.
Old 01-22-2016, 07:24 PM
  # 87 (permalink)  
Hillbilly Girl

Glad you are here & posting McFlurry. You are not alone in this & know most of of here have felt just as you are today....you never have to feel this way again. (Hugs to you)
Old 01-23-2016, 12:15 AM
  # 88 (permalink)  
Alive in the Superunknown

One week, way to go!