Notices

Disgraced myself yet again.

Old 01-17-2016, 09:14 PM
  # 61 (permalink)  

Thanks for the great update! Regarding the busy stressful day tomorrow, make sure you have a plan to unwind in a healthy way.

Well done. Onward to day 4!
Old 01-18-2016, 01:00 AM
  # 62 (permalink)  

MF,

I think I saw that alcohol was being added to the cat A carcinogens, right up there with cigarettes.

That surprised me.

Love your posts.
Old 01-18-2016, 08:01 AM
  # 63 (permalink)  

Hi everyone, day 4 today for me.

Work was surprisingly not too bad, all the patients were nice and I managed to run to time with my appointments for once (sorry I am one of these medics that runs late quite a lot--not intentionally, honestly!)

Went to the supermarket to get some stuff for dinner, and saw little mini bottles of wine at the front on offer, and was suddenly, overwhelmingly, tempted to buy one (it's only one, no one will notice, etc etc...) It's amazing how the thoughts just come so suddenly, taking over your brain's rational thinking like some toxic tsunami.

Instead I diverted away, internally sticking a middle finger up at those bottles placed so thoughtlessly in my line of vision, not even near the booze section (thought about doing externally but could have got a few funny looks lol.) Have bought myself some overpriced fruity tea instead which is actually quite nice.

This site has been so helpful to me so far, coming here and reading people's stories of recovery is really inspiring. Husband thinks i'm getting addicted to SR

He's at work tonight so am alone with the dog. Am going to do my workout alone (ugh!)then have a nice hot bath, a cup of the fruity tea and paint warhammer models before bed.
Old 01-18-2016, 08:08 AM
  # 64 (permalink)  
quat

goodonya
I flipped birds(american idiom?) internal and external, just feels right sometimes Those thoughts impinged , they didn't take over, you got tea !!!
Keep flipping the finger and the tsunami will blow it self out
Old 01-18-2016, 08:19 AM
  # 65 (permalink)  
Life Goes On

mcflurry, amazing that you are doing the insanity workout - and by yourself is SO hard, I know. I can't imagine myself doing that routine any time in the next couple of months, but we'll see!

Keep reading and posting, but I'd also encourage you to look for some 3D people you can talk with about this. I know for some people, SR is all they needed, but it didn't work that way for me and there's no harm in adding to your arsenal, really.
Old 01-18-2016, 08:21 AM
  # 66 (permalink)  

It's crazy where supermarkets set up wine displays In early sobriety, I wouldn't go near the wine section, but during the holidays they had bubbly and wines, by the produce department!!

I LOVED your list. I'ts amazing we want to drink, when we see it in black and white, but we do.......until, one day, you don't

If you enjoy reading, you might like the book "Blackout - Remembering the Things I Drank to Forget" . The author was a binge drinker and ordinarily a quiet person. It's disturbing what alcohol can cause os to do....we lose control.

Blackout: Remembering the Things I Drank to Forget by Sarah Hepola ? Reviews, Discussion, Bookclubs, Lists
Old 01-18-2016, 11:47 AM
  # 67 (permalink)  

That book looks like a good read, I think I'll order it, thanks for the recommendation.

Re insanity: yes it's hard! We're doing the max 30 one which is at least only 30 minutes long, but it's worse than the original. I broke my kneecap a few years back and so I have to modify some of the higher impact moves to avoid hobbling around like an arthritic old lady the next day. It is, however, quite a good stress reliever, in a weird, sadistic way.

Just finished it now and am in a sweaty heap on the floor. To make matters worse, we had a late delivery of mail and the mail man came to the door to see me jumping around like a lunatic in shorts and sports bra (and no I am NOT built like the people in the video, more like 2 of them stuck together.)

Oh dear! Hope I won't have to see him again!
Old 01-18-2016, 01:45 PM
  # 68 (permalink)  

Glad ur still posting Mcflurry. Im a police officer so i know how u feel, i have to arrest people for behaving poorly under the influence!!!!!🙈my fiance doesn't accept im an alcoholic but i am, i almost feel better for labeling it as i just couldn't figure out what was wrong, why i could never just have 1 glass of wine, i had to black out & alot of the time i did it secretly!!! Ive been sober since oct 18th, there have been many moments where ive been tempted but over time its eased & now i longer have the cravings!!! Good luck hun & keep posting, this site has turned my life round.x
Old 01-19-2016, 02:01 PM
  # 69 (permalink)  

hi again everyone, day 5 today. Work was a bit of a ball ache today-finished late, got stuck in traffic, came home tired/hungry/stressed

Rang my parents when i got home to take my mind off it. Have been giving my dad piano lessons via Skype for the last hour- quite funny! Glad to be going to bed sober.
Old 01-19-2016, 03:45 PM
  # 70 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

5 days - so wonderful, mcflurry.
Old 01-19-2016, 04:17 PM
  # 71 (permalink)  

It's hard, when you get hungry and tired. I'm glad you made it through....wishing you a good night's rest
Old 01-19-2016, 09:06 PM
  # 72 (permalink)  

Wanted to say how much I can relate to what you are going through.
My poison of choice is wine. I always think I can have a glass or two, but once I start, I drink way more of the bottle than I meant to.

In trying to talk about my concerns with my husband he's always dismissed the idea that I have a problem.

I'm 10 days without a drink and I find reading these forums in the evening the biggest help and support.

One of the tips I read said not to get too hungry or thirsty and so when ever I have a craving for a glass of wine I drink a large glass of water with a big squirt of lemon juice in it and it calms the craving.
Old 01-19-2016, 09:32 PM
  # 73 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcome to SR flower in the sun

D
Old 01-19-2016, 09:55 PM
  # 74 (permalink)  

Congratulations

Congratulations on several days sober. Excellent feeling, eh? I'm sure you will notice the pounds fall of faster without the booze. Very smart telling your husband. In sure in time he will respect your decision
Old 01-20-2016, 06:48 PM
  # 75 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by mcflurry View Post
hi again everyone, day 5 today. Work was a bit of a ball ache today-finished late, got stuck in traffic, came home tired/hungry/stressed

Rang my parents when i got home to take my mind off it. Have been giving my dad piano lessons via Skype for the last hour- quite funny! Glad to be going to bed sober.
How are you doing now?

I just started taking piano lessons. Very interesting!
Old 01-20-2016, 06:49 PM
  # 76 (permalink)  

Flowerinthesun, welcome!
Old 01-20-2016, 07:14 PM
  # 77 (permalink)  

at AA you will be able to identify with people with similar experiences. you will find that AA is more of a life solution than an alcohol solution. learn to solve the problems beneath alcoholism. awesome job taking that 1st step. !!
Old 01-21-2016, 04:11 AM
  # 78 (permalink)  

Hi I'm still here, day 7 now

Glad you are enjoying the piano melki, I love to play. I played for a long time when I was a kid and teenager then stopped when I went to uni, rediscovered it about 4 yrs ago. I'm not as good as I used to be but can play a reasonable tune- I find it really relaxing! It's a good deterrent not to drink because you absolutely CANNOT play it drunk- even after 1 glass it affects you.. maybe they should use it as a roadside sobriety test lol!

Yesterday was tough, met my accountant who had accidentally screwed up my tax return and initially told me I'd have to pay 3 times as much as I thought!! Cue major palpitations... All good now! Had a chinese takeaway last night (sorry Shaun T but I haven't had one for months and feeling stressed!)

Working late today, husband is making a roast beef dinner for me when I get home (or at least trying, he can't cook so results may be interesting..) He's not drinking at the moment either which makes this all easier for me.

Hope you are all well
Old 01-21-2016, 04:21 AM
  # 79 (permalink)  
Administrator

congrats on 7 days mcflurry
Old 01-21-2016, 04:53 AM
  # 80 (permalink)  

Hi mcflurry

I really enjoyed your initial post and your absolute honesty.
You sound lovely. I liked the part where you identify with the patients & feel compassion.

I'm sure your body is thanking you now being 7 days sober. I bet you feel more clear headed and focused . Everything is such a chore when we are hungover.

Keep going, you're doing a great job as its definitely not easy.

Keep posting , I'm 14 days sober today after being 2 years sober then after one drink , found myself in a 6 month binge , it's just exhausting.

I'm so much happier , drinking brings me nothing but grief , embarrassment , forgetfulness , tears , anger, wallowing in self pity , guilt ,.....good grief ! My lst goes on & on & on.

I truly hope you break this cycle and regain control of your life.

I bet your husbands glad to have his wife back. We become different people when we drink. That's not who we really are.

I'm truly wishing you well and I can see you really want this & i want it for you too. :-)

Good luck , I'm really happy for you xx