Notices

"I don't think you're an alcoholic"

Old 01-15-2016, 04:28 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

I've struggled with whether I am or not for years, even long before trying to stop. I don't think anybody would've said I was an alcoholic, except one AA friend, who tried to tell me, but failed to get through. The term is only just acceptable to me and I feel it's a relief and making me stronger in my sobriety.
I've almost finished reading "First Year Sobriety" Guy Hettelhach (highly recommend if you've not read it). There's a story in this about a sponsor encouraging somebody to "sit" a bit longer with the first of the 12 steps, where you try to accept what it means to be powerless. This really struck home for me, I can't control my drinking, the first will ALWAYS lead to many and if I haven't any available, I'll do anything to get hold of some and it doesn't matter what I sacrifice to do this, family, money, work, promises I've made.
So................. pretty powerless when it comes to alcohol.
I know I'm alcoholic and that's what counts and what will help me.
Take care
xx
Old 01-15-2016, 04:35 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

I consider it an act of empowerment when I refuse to allow someone to deny my lived reality.

In my experience, people tend to use themselves as a barometer for others, and well, that just doesn't fly in my book.

Awareness of self, how you tick, what your talents and challenges are. . .that is a gift of sobriety. Don't let others take your gift.
Old 01-15-2016, 04:36 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

It's widely held to be impolite to tell someone they are an alcoholic unless you are one.

Well...I are one.

So are you. Now, quit entertaining what other people think and get back to work!
Old 01-15-2016, 04:55 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  
You can have reasons, or you can have results, but you can't have both.

Isn't that a little irritating?

1) They're just disappointed that you'll no longer be serving them drinks, or getting hammered with them.
2) If they're such freaking experts on the subject, why didn't they render you any help when you needed it most?

People. Can't live with them; can't live without them.
Old 01-15-2016, 05:05 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Thomas. Close the door shut. You know what I mean. . .
Old 01-15-2016, 05:27 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

They probably have an image in their heads of what an alcoholic looks like and you're not fitting the bill for them.

I'm in the process of quitting and getting help, I've found the most supportive people have been friends who have been through alcoholism themselves or have had someone close to them go through it. Other people just can't accept that it's a problem if it doesn't fit the stereotypes.

If people are making you feel pressured to have alcohol in the house, or are trying to convince you to drink, I would seriously question whether you need them in your life.
Old 01-15-2016, 05:28 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Hi Thomas,

Lots of great advice above. One last thought, whether you use the word alcoholic or not you know how alcohol has negatively impacted your life. Nobody else has those experiences, even if they were present for part of them, they didn't feel the reprucussions after the event, only you did.

I am glad you stayed strong while they were visiting.
Old 01-15-2016, 06:05 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Boy, I bet that clever AV of yours was just jumping for joy to hear that.

You know better and so do we--
Old 01-15-2016, 07:53 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Think very, very carefully Jeff. Why did you post what you did? Why did you feel it was important that we read what they said, and for you to tell us what makes them "expert witnesses"?

You see, I've had loads of people say I don't have a problem. Including someone who saw me turn grey and pass out on the ground in front of them. Someone who watched me get undressed and try to climb into bed with her and her husband because I didn't know which house I was in. Someone who before I quit angrily lectured me on how I had a drinking problem after I'd done something particularly awful. And then when I did quit asked me why. I never for one moment paid any attention to what they said, because I knew they were wrong to question it, and there's no reason why I would start a post to say what they told me.

My AV, on the other hand, would have one very, very good reason to write about that. To lay the groundwork for me to drink again, by publishing "proof" that I'm not an alcoholic. "Sorry everyone, false alarm, turns out I don't have a problem after all. Good luck with your sober journeys, and thanks for all your help and advice".

One thing I'll give you, Jeff. Your AV is good. Damn good. This is the time of year it probably packs its bags full of ice and heads up North to do some selling.
Old 01-15-2016, 08:05 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

There are some excellent, spot on replies to this thread! Totally agree with what everyone has said. I think a very common reason that people you specifically socialize with says that is because it forces them to look at themselves in the mirror. And something else...some of those people may think that you will secretly "judge" them if you are sober and they are not. Sometimes people's responses are more about themselves than you.
Old 01-15-2016, 08:19 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  
Trudgin

Are these the same friends that picked the Vikings to Win??
Old 01-15-2016, 11:09 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
Did part of you want to believe that Jeff?

D
Sure. But the reality is I can't be a drinker. It would just be a matter of time before all hell broke loose. I've tried it, it has been tested. I failed. Just like so many others here, I might be able to moderate for up to a year, but eventually "it" would happen.
Old 01-15-2016, 11:13 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
Yeah I don;t want to come across as nagging Jeff...

but even when I was drinking around the clock, being sick, not washing for a week and basically needing adult diapers...

I could still find someone to tell me I was 'not that bad'

D
Sorry all, I started that thread and went to bed so I did not have time to respond.
But yes Dee, these two particular individuals are what I think all of us here would classify as active alcoholics. They don't know it or admit it, but they are.
Old 01-15-2016, 11:18 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ALinNS View Post
I have said before in 1996 I found myself in Detox but I was forced to go by family, yet when I came out my X told my AV exactly what it wanted to hear, you just need to cut back you are not an alcoholic, by 1998 I was completely out of control and back in detox, 6 months leave from work as they knew I had a problem however I was not willing to admit it. Crazy as I lost two six figure career's yet I still would not admit it was a problem.

I couldn't even guess how many times I have been in and out of ER and Detox since then, but I have known for many years I had a serious problem. It wasn't until three years ago when I went through an Intensive treatment program that I honestly believed how this sickness works, in my case the root cause and the importance of a plan and following it as I was sick of being sick.

Now I did relapse twice since that time, I was in an unhealthy and high risk relationship, my GF at the time drank every night, after a trip to Cuba in Feb of last year I came back and was taken to ER and then Detox, I remember being hooked up to two IV's at ER and the doc asking me if I wanted to live as I was very close to death, scared the crap out of me and I stayed sober until mid November of last year and went on another 36 day binge which cost me everything dear to me, including a great career and house, the only thing left was my dog.

Why did I relapse after taking that program? I stopped following the plan and was over confident and my AV knew exactly how to hook me. In both cases if I reflect I had a mental relapse (you can google) as was explained in this treatment program I took we have a mental relapse before we actually drink, people very close to us will notice it often before we do, we change...could be that we get angry fast, don't smile or laugh as much or in my case I implode, meaning I stop talking, when sober I am a social butterfly according to people I know, both times last year I simply stopped being happy and jovial but didn't see it, then when I drink it's off to the closet.

Think this through, what friends think is not important to me at all when it comes to this sickness unless it's positive reinforcement, I am very much aware it makes my life unmanageable, totally out of control, it will not happen again but I have yet to meet anyone who can honestly tell me it didn't get worse. If I could do it all over again, I wish in 1996 I knew what I know today, but it's all what it is, onward and upwards for me.

Wishing you the best
Andrew
hi Andrew, thank you for sharing your story. That sounds rough to be honest. Very glad you survived to tell the tale. Sounds like you are doing well, and that alcohol has done you no favors in life. Stay strong.
Old 01-15-2016, 11:25 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by OpenTuning View Post
Think very, very carefully Jeff. Why did you post what you did? Why did you feel it was important that we read what they said, and for you to tell us what makes them "expert witnesses"?

You see, I've had loads of people say I don't have a problem. Including someone who saw me turn grey and pass out on the ground in front of them. Someone who watched me get undressed and try to climb into bed with her and her husband because I didn't know which house I was in. Someone who before I quit angrily lectured me on how I had a drinking problem after I'd done something particularly awful. And then when I did quit asked me why. I never for one moment paid any attention to what they said, because I knew they were wrong to question it, and there's no reason why I would start a post to say what they told me.

My AV, on the other hand, would have one very, very good reason to write about that. To lay the groundwork for me to drink again, by publishing "proof" that I'm not an alcoholic. "Sorry everyone, false alarm, turns out I don't have a problem after all. Good luck with your sober journeys, and thanks for all your help and advice".

One thing I'll give you, Jeff. Your AV is good. Damn good. This is the time of year it probably packs its bags full of ice and heads up North to do some selling.
Thanks OT, I appreciate your input. I posted it because I thought it was ridiculous that they would say that to me since they were right there in my living room with me while I was hammered, mad, crying, banging my fists on the table when I was supposed to be on an airplane to a funeral. Granted, it was my rock bottom, but to see that and say "you were just going through a lot" is bull***t. I can't be a drinker. Period.
Old 01-15-2016, 11:30 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  

To all who responded, this may sound arrogant, but I don't put much stock into what other's think about my drinking. I didn't when I was drinking, and I don't now that I'm not drinking. I know what I went through, I know how I felt mentally and physically, I know it was not normal. Remember, I was an alone drinker, and I was alone for 3 months while my wife was away. I know what I did, and it wasn't good. I didn't break the law, but I drank a lot of booze. I eventually got myself to a point where I needed booze. That's an alcoholic.