Notices

anybody else make it a week and then dun goof?

Old 01-14-2016, 07:45 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

anybody else make it a week and then dun goof?

I generally last one week and then relapse like a butt head. Anybody else share this experience?

I guess I am looking for tips/suggestions. I don't know that AA is for me. I'm one of those atheist types and want to quit on my own.

Thanks everybody.
Old 01-14-2016, 07:51 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi Roger. Welcome from a fellow heathen

I went weeks, sometimes months, and then would drink again. That went on for decades. I am using AA from a Buddhist pov.

Whatever method you choose, the trick is never taking that first drink.

It is nice to have you here.
Old 01-14-2016, 07:52 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think it's a fairly common experience. I know I underestimated the task of recovery more than once.

Are you looking for meeting based recovery Roger? cos there are secular meeting based methods like SMART and LifeRing - they're not everywhere like AA but, if you live in a big city, you might be lucky

D
Old 01-14-2016, 07:59 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I've actually looked into Buddhism and it has peaked my interest.
Sad thing is that I am definitely an alcoholic. I am close to losing my job because of alcohol and have lost many friends/girlfriends because of drinking.
Oddly enough, there is a recovering alcoholic that works with me, but I am afraid to approach him for advice.
Old 01-14-2016, 08:01 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
now's the time

YES. I found that the one week to two week mark always took me down. I got sober for eight months in 2013, relapsed, then for the next year and a half I quit I don't even know how many times and I always relapsed around 7 - 10 days. It was brutal.

I finally got sober in rehab and I had the same major freak out around 7 - 10 days. I was really losing it... crying, anxious, every moment that passed was painful. The more extreme version of what I'd experienced before, except without the option of relapse.

The info I can share is that that little moment went away within a few days. I think it's probably the tail end of acute withdrawal. Just clench your fists, do anything relaxing that you can (yoga, go for a run, etc) and force yourself to wait through it. It will pass, and faster than you expect.

Another thing they taught me to do in rehab was do several self check-ins a day where I rated my anxiety/stress on a scale from 1 - 10... 1 being as peaceful as can be, 10 being so angry or overwhelmed or what not that I can't even handle it. I actually carried around a little notebook with me and would do it once every couple hours. It really helped once I started seeing how much it went up and down... helped me understand that if I could just wait an hour or two, I'd feel different. Also the idea is supposed to be that you figure out where your personal "I can't deal, I need a drink" line is... mine was around 8... and start self care before you get there. E.g. if I feel like a 7, I drop everything and take a walk or listen to music or check in here for a bit.

Good luck. You can do it!
Old 01-14-2016, 08:03 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
now's the time

Also, When Things Fall Apart by Pema Chodron is a really good book from a Buddhist perspective on getting through hard times. It's helped me a lot in my sobriety, as has a book called The Six Perfections by Sonam Rinchen.
Old 01-14-2016, 08:05 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

There's lots of ways to get sober Roger, welcome to SR. All of them require a committment from you though, and all will also require you to do things that may not be "for you". SR is a great place to learn about many of those methods and find support. A great read is linked below if you have some time.

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...at-we-did.html

Last edited by ScottFromWI; 01-14-2016 at 09:07 PM.
Old 01-14-2016, 08:05 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by RogerKlotz View Post
I've actually looked into Buddhism and it has peaked my interest.
Sad thing is that I am definitely an alcoholic. I am close to losing my job because of alcohol and have lost many friends/girlfriends because of drinking.
Oddly enough, there is a recovering alcoholic that works with me, but I am afraid to approach him for advice.
You might like "One Breath at a Time: Buddhism and the 12 Steps." I just ordered it today.

Your coworker likely would love the opportunity and feel honored that you asked him. Give it a shot.
Old 01-14-2016, 08:06 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

It's as if I want to reward myself for a weeks well done.

Thank you all for responding. I finally feel like a member of the forum.
Old 01-14-2016, 08:07 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SillyHuman View Post
You might like "One Breath at a Time: Buddhism and the 12 Steps." I just ordered it today.

Your coworker likely would love the opportunity and feel honored that you asked him. Give it a shot.
He is a great person. I might approach him next time I work with him. Thank you for the advice!
Old 01-14-2016, 08:19 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I couldn't make it past 3-4 days for the longest time, you just gotta push through.
I'm agnostic, do some research and find what works for you.
I kinda collected a bit from everyone and everything and made my own program
Xoxo
Old 01-14-2016, 08:28 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
quat

Welcome to the forums Roger
I stopped for various amounts of times a lot. When I finally decided to quit for good is when it stuck. The first few weeks are tough, but it gets better. Take a leap of faith(that coming from an atheist ) and get past those first few weeks , you can and you'll see for yourself. Rooting for ya
My first time on SR I saw mention of AVRT and RR, there are great threads on those ideas in the Secular Connections forum here on SR.
Come back often, read, ask, post
Wish you well and hope to see you around
Old 01-14-2016, 08:44 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Smile

Yes, have relapsed many times. I must be a slow learner but this time I think I've got it. It had to happen some time but when I think about it sometimes it doesn't. I decided I wanted to be in the success stats. I want that for you too as I know how brutal alcohol can be for we weary travellers. Just kick off again. Yay.
Old 01-14-2016, 09:23 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

You are not doing very well quitting on your own. I never did either. AA isn't so bad. The religious part is really just spiritual. Not sure if atheists have that but your Higher Power can be anything you wish. It can be the sense of fellowship or group support you feel on here.

Read the AVRT threads on this board

My advice:
Use this board
Make a plan and includes why you take a drink after a week of sobriety. Get to know that little voice that tells you to drink. AV
Avoid bars and friends that drink.
VERY IMPORTANT. Change your behaviors/patterns. If you drink after work do something else. Movie, walk, gym and make it a habit to replace drinking. Tough to stop drinking and not fill the time. Your AV will drive you nutts with cravings.

Good Luck
Old 01-15-2016, 12:35 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

For me, the point is to know emotionally, not logically, that one drink is all it takes to start the madness.

I am not even sure I am there yet, but I am trying.

Good luck.
Old 01-15-2016, 02:07 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I went round in circles for a long time, and for me it was all about changing up my weekend routines, new activities, making decisions about what places to go and people to hang out with, planning out something to do with my time rather than leaving things to chance, which usually meant falling into the old default of alcohol.

More support and a plan could make all the difference!!
Old 01-15-2016, 03:28 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Replacing alcohol with lots of ginger ale and water has been a really healthy change for me and I am both feeling and looking healthier... And the better I look the better I feel which makes me better in all areas of life! Trying to get lots of protein in your diet helps with everything...and... Not just for muscle building but you need certain amino acids for healthy brain chemistry... You can do this!!
Old 01-15-2016, 08:00 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Thank you all for the suggestions and support. Sadly, I went on a bit of a binge last night and woke up this morning drunk. Worst kind of morning. I had to grab my phone to make sure I hadn't done anything silly. Good luck to all and have a happy Friday 😊
Old 01-15-2016, 08:23 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Sorry to hear that Rodger, welcome back though!!

So what's the plan heading into the weekend?

For me continuing to do the same things and expecting different results never seemed to work, I needed a plan, more support into my day, something to make Sobriety happen!!
Old 01-15-2016, 08:23 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family. I hope our support can help you get sober for good. It takes some effort and changes but is so worth it.