Notices

Skiing With the Guys

Old 01-15-2016, 02:45 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by chrcarlson View Post
"Yeah, getting older does come with benefits", yep. I've learned how do to that look. Chin down a bit, eyebrows up, slight smile and look them right in the eyes. Seems to answer questions better than profanity ever did.
Huh! I'll have to give that one another try...
Old 01-15-2016, 04:12 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by jd1639 View Post
I'm posting this to strengthen my sober muscles.

I'm in Colorado with three other guys. One I sort of know and two I've met for the first time. I used to love a few beers after a day of skiing. So skiing is definitely a trigger. And we'll be going out to dinner and the others will drink. To make matters worse one of the guys just got back from buying some pot, it's legal here.

But this trip will be different from past trips. No alcohol or drugs!

One good thing is we're all older guys, late 50's, early 60's. The good thing of getting older is peer pressure isn't as strong as when you're younger. You just don't care so much about that stuff.

I'm not very worried, but posting this will just help me stay honest.
Funny how some of our more athletic, healthy, natural pursuits lead us back to the idea of drinking poison.

I hear you... I'm a big skier too. I've spent many an Apre Ski getting loaded.

But these days, I rip hard and have a blast on the mountain, then enjoy refueling my body with water and something healthy to eat. I can have a soda or something if I'm feeling the need for a 'special' drink... and then the next day I'm all over it again. No hangover. No extra calories. No feeling like crap. And it turns out, I can have a REALLY FUN TIME in my life without drinking poison.

Isn't that strange?

Enjoy the slopes, enjoy your friends, and enjoy the realization of simply being present and not needing to poison your body or alter your mind to enjoy yourself in LIFE!!

You can do it.

Old 01-15-2016, 06:01 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  
JD
You're not shackled to not drinking, you're free from drinking

I know you've all been waiting with bated breath, lol, but the evening was uneventful. These guys are drinking bores. They split two bottles of wine between the three of them and I'm sure that was a lot for them.

So another day sober.
Old 01-15-2016, 06:06 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Wow. Good for them.

I can't imagine. That's like what, two glasses? And that's why I can't drink. That would have just lit the pilot light. It would have been game-on for me. "Let's go buy more!!!!"

You stayed sober! Well done.
Old 01-15-2016, 06:31 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by chrcarlson View Post
"Yeah, getting older does come with benefits", yep. I've learned how do to that look. Chin down a bit, eyebrows up, slight smile and look them right in the eyes. Seems to answer questions better than profanity ever did.
I felt intimidated just reading the description, LOL.
Old 01-15-2016, 06:39 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by jd1639 View Post
They split two bottles of wine between the three of them and I'm sure that was a lot for them.
That would barely be a buzz for me. Normies are weird.
Old 01-15-2016, 07:16 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Okay folks, you have forgotten you drinking math -- its four normal glasses each, but who does normal glasses, how stupid of me, two of the "real glasses"...
Old 01-15-2016, 10:56 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  
Do your best

Good job staying sober Jd
Old 01-15-2016, 03:15 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Being an avid skier, après ski was always my favorite part of any ski trip. In fact, many of my first experiences with alcohol occurred on the chair lifts sneaking sips of schnapps in between runs long before I was old enough to even drive. I was so nervous going on my first ski trip sober - I didn't think there was any way in the world that I'd be able to resist hitting the lodge bar after getting off the slopes. But I discovered my love for skiing again.

I was up and clear headed and on the first lift of the day every morning. My focus was on the slopes, not the booze. How liberating! I wasn't anxious to cut my skiing early so I could hit the lodge.

My favorite photo from that trip was of my 6 year old son with a huge mug of cocoa in front of him which I captioned "Apres Ski." That's now my idea of a good apres drink

Hope you're enjoying -- the snow is supposed to be amazing right now!
Old 01-15-2016, 03:22 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Fantastic Jd!!
Old 01-15-2016, 10:16 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  
Administrator

Glad all went ok JD

D
Old 01-15-2016, 10:33 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Glad it's all going well - just don't let your guard down - remember, you're dealing with alcohol (cunning and baffling).

I remember going on a girls hen weekend to Berlin in fairly early sobriety. There were 6 of us. I had warned the bride that I might need to opt out of things early some nights, but that was fine, and they should just carry on and enjoy themselves and I'd catch up with them in the morning. Funny thing was that usually as soon as I'd said about going back for tea and sleep, others usually were eager for the same (they just didn't want to be the first to say it) - and we're talking women in their 40's, so I was surprised that the peer pressure thing was still in some evidence.

Once back in my hotel room it was always a relief to log onto SR or listen to an AA speaker recording. Being with normies (even nice ones who we know well on a fun weekend) can be a strain at times.
Old 01-16-2016, 02:15 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  

congrats on 4 months jd,
Old 01-16-2016, 03:47 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  

JD,

Great achievement -- skiing back on the table!!

Beccy,

I found your point about being with normies being stressful -- was that because it was so early or is it still the case?

Just curious.
Old 01-16-2016, 09:26 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dropsie View Post
JD,

Beccy,

I found your point about being with normies being stressful -- was that because it was so early or is it still the case?

Just curious.
I always (even as a kid) founds groups of people in a social situation for any extended period of time very tiring and stressful. Then I discovered that alcohol increased my tolerance of these situations - even meant I could enjoy it. Now I don't drink I'm back to finding being with a group hard work after a while again. Although I tend to find groups of alcoholics in recovery (the people I know through AA) much more relaxing company - so maybe it's the normie thing that does my head in.

If there is a specific focus like a band playing or a meal, or an activity or event, then I can get more comfortable for longer, but just general chit-chat (esp if the others are drinking / drunk), I'd say I've that usually I've had enough after a couple of hours and am itching to get away and into my own space.

I suppose I'm just happy now to be grateful that I'm comfortable and happy in my own company, and don't feel the need to try to fit that mould of sitting gassing about nothing for hours on end like I used to when I spend all my free time propping up the bar in my local pub.
Old 01-16-2016, 09:51 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  
JD

I spent another dinner with these guys and they shared another two bottles of wine between the three of them. One did ask me if I never drank or just stopped. I just told them I quit about 4 months ago and left it at that. They preceded to discuss the virtues and dangers of drinking between the three of them. I just sat back and listened. I'm a pretty quite person to begin with so that wasn't anything new. There wasn't any need to get into the fact that I drank too much. They would not have understood anyway.

I have thought what it would have been like if I was still drinking. Boy would that have been frustrating to just have a couple of glasses of wine with them every night. They don't even have anything before dinner. I would have had to find some way to sneak out to the bar and have a few beers before hand. I'm glad I'm not in that position.

I have one more night here and then it's back to home. I'm very fortunate to finally accept that I can't drink and don't need to drink anymore. I haven't had any real cravings as I know where that first drink will lead and I don't want to go back to that anymore.

Thanks everyone for your support and listening. It's great to have the SR community and your finger tips.
Old 01-16-2016, 09:57 AM
  # 37 (permalink)  
Trudgin

For me part of sobriety took getting to the season of life I am at now...........time to grow up.
Old 01-16-2016, 10:11 AM
  # 38 (permalink)  
quat

Man you must really ski hard, to be happy to still your fingertips and all, lol

The line on your avatar really says it all, eh? Congrats on 4 months and being able to enjoy this trip, keep truckin
Old 01-16-2016, 10:14 AM
  # 39 (permalink)  
JD

[QUOTE=dwtbd;5744346]Man you must really ski hard, to be happy to still your fingertips and all, lol

The line on your avatar really says it all, eh? Congrats on 4 months and being able to enjoy this trip, keep truckin [/QUOTE
Darn auto correct, lol