Notices

It Is Sad...

Old 01-14-2016, 07:29 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
C23
Resident Awesome Guy

It Is Sad...

Just a quick thought...

We have all run into those people who question our motivation to stop drinking. We have all ran into those people who go through self-reflection when we explain to them the reasons we don't feel drugs or alcohol are necessary in our lives. Thread after thread talks about the support and many times the lack of support we all run into everyday. We all have noticed how alcohol is everywhere. I find this very sad. I find it sad that society and the marketing machine has made alcohol an integral part of our lives. You can't watch TV anymore without seeing numerous ads glorifying a product that is responsible for so much. Now don't get me wrong, I know there are millions of people in the world that drink and don't have "a problem" so to speak, and good for them. These are just some things I noticed:

1. Having a BBQ with friends....what are we having to drink?
2. Having some friends over to watch a game....what are we having to drink?
3. Having a kid's birthday party....what are we having to drink?
4. Had a good day at work.....what are we having to drink?
5. Had a bad day at work.....what are we having to drink?
6. Congratulations on whatever....what are we having to drink?
7. I'm sorry to hear about whatever.....what are we having to drink?
8. First thing asked when you sit down at a restaurant by the server....what are we having to drink?

Here are some SOBERING stats:

Alcoholism and alcohol abuse are among the most common, devastating, and costly problems in the United States. In fact, recent studies have shown that approximately 53 percent of adults in the United States have reported that one or more of their close relatives has a drinking problem. Those most vulnerable to problem drinking are young adults between the ages of 18 and 29, while those least susceptible are 65 years of age or older. [1] These young adults are particularly susceptible to binge drinking (five or more drinks in two hours for men, four or more drinks in two hours for women). In fact, binge drinking accounts for more than half of the alcohol industry’s $155 billion market, and more than 75% of the beer industry’s market.[2] In 2002, U.S. alcoholism statistics showed that 2.6 million binge drinkers were between the ages of 12 and 17.[3]

Sadly, alcoholism and alcohol abuse can lead to dangerous health problems and, in some cases, death. U.S. alcohol statistics, for example, reveal that approximately 50,000 cases of alcohol overdose are reported each year. Moreover, in 2009, an estimated 30.2 million people 12 or older reported driving under the influence of alcohol at least once in the past year.[4] In addition, the Center for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) reported 14,406 alcoholic liver disease deaths and 23,199 alcohol-induced deaths (excluding accidents and homicides) in 2007.[5]

Not only is alcoholism dangerous and potentially fatal for alcoholics, it’s also costly to society at large. Recent surveys indicate that non-alcoholic members of families with an alcoholic use ten times as much sick leave as families without alcoholics. Additionally, 80% of these family members report an impaired ability to perform at work as a result of living with an alcohol abuser or alcoholic. [6] Furthermore, Fetal Alcohol Spectrum Disorders (FASD) are the leading preventable cause of birth defects in the U.S., affecting as many as 40,000 babies per year and costing more than $5.4 billion each year.[7]

Old 01-14-2016, 07:40 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I tend to stay away from reading the news papers, I do follow the world economics as it helps when I talk to my son who is a financial analyst, like me anything in economics floats my boat.

Anyhow I did see an article that was an eye opener to me, deaths in the US from Alcoholism, I remember it stating alcohol could be directly attributed to 20,000 cancer deaths a year in the US alone, scary stuff to me.

You are right, I only watch TV when my GF is here and it's rare you can watch anything without alcohol being glamorized. More power to the people that can drink responsibly I am not one of them and haven't been for over 25 years.

Thanks for the post.

Andrew
Old 01-14-2016, 09:32 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Do your best

Good post C23 thank you
Old 01-14-2016, 09:53 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

It is kind of ironic isn't it? A society that shames and shuns addicts yet it's legal drug alcohol is by far the most deadly and dangerous. And is marketed to us almost as ferociously as sugar is....another deadly substance, whose abuse is probably responsible for far more deaths than drugs combined. But ya generally don't kill people while driving under its influence.....or get into fights....or abuse your partner and /or children etc.

I thought it interesting that Obama mentioned the need to address our rapidly growing heroin addiction crisis in the US in his State of the Union address. A big deal of course. But no where near the devastation that alcohol causes. Money talks....alcohol sales are over 400 BILLION in the US alone. Wow.
Old 01-14-2016, 10:12 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

You have a very interesting post. Where did you get the article? Thanks
Old 01-14-2016, 10:21 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Great post and thought provoking.

Along the lines of family members with impaired ability to function at work, I've been thinking of that today. I'm an alcoholic. So is my husband. My inability to function at work has nothing to do with me drinking but because I'm so darned tired some days because my husband wakes me up in the middle of the night when he's been drinking. It's impairing my continued efforts at sobriety.

Alcoholism and alcohol abuse takes a huge toll.
Old 01-14-2016, 10:28 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

It also bothers me how innocuous drinking is made out to be, for example.
" I ahd such a long day at work, I need a glass of wine- or the the whole bottle!"
( haha...)
It just seems like it's ok to drink a whole bottle of wine, and it's totally not.
That got me into big trouble!
Then it's a bottle of wine a couple times a week, then 3 nights, 4 nights.....then 2 bottles etc
Old 01-14-2016, 10:38 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

It is sad and sick at the same time. I live in a State where alcohol is everywhere- the convenience store, gas station (you can buy singles) and grocery store. I hate that it is so easily accessible.

Also, take a look at tailgaiting for games- a time where adults purposely come together to get buzzed before a sports event. It's just bizarre, and acceptable.
Old 01-14-2016, 11:36 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I think alcohol limits and damages FAR more lives and robs far more joy from humanity than any statistics reflect.

And it's not just 'problem' drinkers.

I think our world societies have accepted the limitations of alcohol as not just 'OK', but in fact good and in many cases mindlessly expected.

I believe that the space alcohol inhabits in the lives of humans comes at far greater cost than reward, on balance.
Old 01-14-2016, 11:41 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Thank you for starting this thread, I completely agree!
Old 01-15-2016, 01:13 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Nice post C23!!
Old 01-15-2016, 02:17 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

The day ends in a Y, what are we having to drink...