Notices

Past another hurdle - here's how!

Old 01-14-2016, 05:26 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Past another hurdle - here's how!

Last night was tricky. But I got through it in NO small part to all of you at SR. I can't thank you enough!! Towards the end of the night, as I was winding down on energy, I felt so happy, warm, and accomplished inside. I've been doing a lot of asking on this site, so now I want to give a little. Here is how I made it past a big hurdle and am now celebrating day TEN!

1. I exercised. I was SO low energy last night, but as soon as I got moving a little bit, I was on a roll. You don't need a gym - I did circuit training in my tiny apartment. Squats, push-ups, curls, leg lifts, crunches, ab twists, and some jumping jacks.

2. I watched funny TV. I used to enjoy my Wednesday night line up (Goldbergs, Modern Family, The Middle, Blackish) with a whole bottle of wine. Guess what - they're still funny sober! For me, it helps having a couple good nights of TV during the week. It gives me a feeling of "hanging out with people" all the while I'm in the super low risk and controllable area of my own home.

3. Adult Paint by Numbers - these are SO therapeutic and relaxing. Have any of you tried? You can by a whole lot (numbered canvas, brushes, paint) on Amazon for less than $20. I've done a few of these, and when my hands got jittery last night, I pulled out my newest one that I received as a Christmas present - it's a vineyard scene with a glass of wine - go figure! Regardless, it completely eases my anxiety and gives my brain a nice break. I HIGHLY recommend. I enjoy these much more than the adult coloring books, FYI.

4. I focused on THE NEXT MORNING. I took this advice straight from several comment on SR. Yes, wine sounded great last night, and my AV had even convinced me that it was the BETTER choice, than sobriety. So, for about five minutes, I sat there and argued with it. My winning retaliation? Alcohol is poison, it will only bring you guilt and disappointment tomorrow. This is my new mantra!

5. I bragged about it! While I am starting this journey alone, and my family is not aware of my fear of being an alcoholic, I can still run it in their faces! I climbed high up on my pedestal and chatted with my parents (who had been out to dinner celebrating bdays and definitely had one too many) about how I had just finished a workout, had been working on my painting, and how I was keeping my Banuary pledge, even if they were too weak to - haha! Petty, but it gave me such a boost! *and please note, it was all in good fun.

Well, that got me through another night. If any of these tips help, it was worth the post.

Does anyone have any other little tips like this?
Old 01-14-2016, 05:29 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
You can have reasons, or you can have results, but you can't have both.

I think you may have just written the textbook!
Old 01-14-2016, 05:36 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I also played a couple games of Catan on the app - really great game/app that serves as a nice distraction. I HIGHLY recommend. This is another tool that gives me the feeling of hanging out with other people, without actually doing it. And right now, I don't think it's particularly safe for me to hang out even sigh a small group of close friends. Too many triggers. These little mind tricks are my saving graces!
Old 01-14-2016, 01:54 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad you're getting through Seep

I really recommend the links here if you want to add a little more meat to your recovery plan

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...ery-plans.html

D
Old 01-14-2016, 03:07 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Congratulations on 10 days Seep

I often do the No.4 bit, thinking about how I will be and how I will feel tomorrow morning. On SR people often describe it as "playing the tape"
Old 01-14-2016, 06:36 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
One Day At A Time

Hi, Seep-

Thanks for the great post!!!! I'm so glad to hear you pushed through, and I love all of the actions you took to keep yourself sober. No matter what, you didn't drink- you are on the way!

P.S. The paint by number is a fun idea- I hadn't heard of it! Thx!
Old 01-15-2016, 01:21 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Fantastic post, great job on pushing through Seep!!
Old 01-15-2016, 02:16 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Great job, and thanks for sharing.

Main point for me to remember is -- I can curtail, but I cannot control. One is not a number when it comes to drinks.

And if I give in, the next time will be WORSE, so what is the point.

And the guilt.

Once you have one, the Addictive Voice is like the worst boyfriend/GF you ever had, drink me, I am great; oh you drank me, you are bad, rinse repeat. So not worth it.

Enjoy your victory.
Old 01-15-2016, 02:57 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hi seep. Well done ! Personally I go and lie in a hot bath for a while. It always helps. The bath and the fact that it gets me on my own, which I find is better when I'm being seduced by 'the voice'.
Old 01-15-2016, 04:02 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

And music helps A LOT !