Notices

Day 13 - Positive Changes :)

Old 01-14-2016, 01:33 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Sobriety is an adventure.

Day 13 - Positive Changes :)

Well, I'm on the morning of Day 13 here, and I can honestly say I have never felt better. Today marks one day short of two weeks sober, and I'm starting to notice more and more positive changes even so early on in my journey.

Little things such as appreciating a fine tasting coffee rather than just throwing any old crap down my neck to wake me up and get me through my hangover. Splashing water on my face first thing in the morning and instantly feeling refreshed and ready to take on the day, rather than hoping it makes me alert enough to get dressed and get to work on time. To bigger things such as not associating the time of the day with grabbing a drink anymore, or finding it hard if someone offers me a drink at their house to say no, because I know if I turn down that first drink there will be zero chance of relapse

But the biggest positive change so far is happening today for me, on Day 13, such a short time after committing to sobriety for life...

I hated my last job, I was there for a year and a month and alcohol eventually caused me to lose my job through poor attendance. I say I hated it, and I did, but I would have given anything these last few weeks to get my job back due to low funds caused by overspending (on alcohol) over Christmas and the New Year. BUT, today I have an interview for a new job that pays more and gives me better more sociable hours (to pursue teaching), and opportunities to progress into a successful career. If I wouldn't have lost my last job through drinking, I would have still been there, still hating every second and coming home everyday, neglecting my relationship/family/life and just drinking to passing out every night.

I don't know what you all believe, but I'm a firm believer in three things... fate, everything happening for a reason, and you only get out of life what you put in.

If I were still in that job I would still be drinking my life away, not putting any effort into life and gaining nothing week after week, month after month. My life wouldn't have ever progressed. But this new found sobriety has lead me to possibly having a new job, my relationships with the ones I love are improving, my health is improving (weight loss, skin condition and mental health) and I find myself having more drive in the morning to face the day. I'm making a point of every evening sitting down and noting down one positive that has come from the day. This way I can keep looking back and reading through them if I ever have a day where I feel like I can't do this anymore.

Anyway, enough from me, that's my story. Anyone can do it, you just have to find it within you to say enough is enough.

Daniel
Old 01-14-2016, 02:35 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Daniel that's a fabulous post!

Congratulations on Day 13, I promise you it gets even better.
Old 01-14-2016, 05:25 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Do your best

Congrats on day 13
Old 01-14-2016, 05:28 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
You can have reasons, or you can have results, but you can't have both.

I once heard a colleague of mine say, "The Universe rewards good behavior." So, I'm not too surprised to hear that you have an exciting job opportunity now that you've taken the first steps into sobriety. Let us know how that interview goes!
Old 01-14-2016, 01:45 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Way to go on day 13 Daniel

D
Old 01-14-2016, 04:59 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Here's to two weeks tomorrow 👏🏼
Old 01-14-2016, 05:11 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Congrats on your sober time. You are beginning to reap the rewards of sobriety.
Old 01-14-2016, 05:18 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

You are doing excellent, congrads and thanks for sharing
Old 01-14-2016, 05:52 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Reality...what a concept!

Congratulations on your 13 day mark and especially your positive spin on the situation! I also started drinking over job pressures and wish I had the courage to quit, but there is no use dwelling in past mistakes because it only sucks the joy out of the future.
So good for you!
Old 01-14-2016, 09:12 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

It gets better and better! Well done
Old 01-15-2016, 01:24 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Day 13 is fantastic Daniel!! Keep it going!!
Old 01-15-2016, 02:08 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Great post, and I like and agree with your three truths.