SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   30 years with a ball and chain made from beer cans (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/382927-30-years-ball-chain-made-beer-cans.html)

ADEfree 01-13-2016 03:06 PM

30 years with a ball and chain made from beer cans

Hi all, looks like you've got a really vibrant community here!

Well, I've been drinking for over 30 years, finally assessed my position and decided to work towards putting the blasted can down for awhile. Glad to come across you folks, looks like this board is hoppin!

MagillaGorilla 01-13-2016 03:08 PM

Originally Posted by ADEfree (Post 5739405)
Hi all, looks like you've got a really vibrant community here!

Well, I've been drinking for over 30 years, finally assessed my position and decided to work towards putting the blasted can down for awhile. Glad to come across you folks, looks like this board is hoppin!

You can do it man. Just don't pick it up. Find a hobby, you will have lots of extra time now.

least 01-13-2016 03:16 PM

Welcome to the family. :) I got sober with the help of this site over six years ago and don't regret a minute of it. :) Waking up feeling good never gets old. :)

PurpleKnight 01-13-2016 03:23 PM

Welcome to the Forum ADEfree!! :wave:

Hevyn 01-13-2016 03:25 PM

Welcome ADE :). I'm so glad you're here.

I drank around the same length of time. In the end it wasn't even fun anymore - just made me anxious & miserable. I was always trying to find the enjoyment I once got from it - but it was never coming back. I regret deeply insisting I needed to hold on to it. Glad you have made this decision.

emme99 01-13-2016 04:20 PM

Hi & Welcome ADEfree :)

Dee74 01-13-2016 04:29 PM

Welcome aboard :)

D

SoberinSyracuse 01-13-2016 04:31 PM

Me, too. Drinking almost 30 years. Glad you're gonna do this. What's your plan?

It's good to have a multi-faceted plan.

Keep on posting back here. We are super-excited to support you!

Delilah1 01-13-2016 04:40 PM

I started drinking early and drank for almost thirty years as well. I have been working on being sober the past few years with several relapses. I am finishing up day 13 and really want sobriety this time. SR is an incredible resource.

ALinNS 01-13-2016 04:42 PM

Hello bud and Welcome, lots of advice, experience and support for you here, so pull up a chair and feel at home.

Andrew

Zebra1275 01-13-2016 07:01 PM

Welcome to SR!

JohnQPublic 01-13-2016 07:33 PM

Welcome, I hope you find all the help and support I have found here and you are successful in your attempts to put it down. I was a big beer drinker also. Of course I did a lot of things but the allure of beer was my primary poison. Best of luck. John

ADEfree 01-13-2016 08:15 PM

Thanks folks!

Wow! Some impressive stories in here!

"Least", 6 years is awesome! That's something to be proud of, a great accomplishment!

SoberInSyracuse and Delilah1, I'm using TSM. I went and saw my Doc and this is what he recommended. Did the blood tests and got the meds. Tapering down a bit at a time and in a few weeks, I'll be ready to shoot for some alch-free days.

Hevyn, you're right. It's not fun anymore. It's expensive, it's restrictive, it's a waste of time. And at my age, I don't have time to waste. I has to go!

Everyone, thanks for the welcome!

chrcarlson 01-13-2016 09:53 PM

36 years of drinking, mostly beer. I recycle so I figure one of the new navy ships should bear my name. I had enough Dec 9. Haven't drank since. It gets easier and I'm not drinking tomorrow. PM me if you want to chat.

It's possible to never drink again-Best Wishes

Thumpalumpacus 01-14-2016 12:08 AM

It's good to get to a place where you can view your behaviors objectively, ADE. That was the first step for me. I'm thirteen days sober after three months of winding down my own long-term beering.

Welcome to the forum. It's been a great support and resource center for me, and I hope it'll be that for you as well. You're on a new path!

MythOfSisyphus 01-14-2016 12:33 AM

Welcome to SR, ADEfree! I'm glad you found us here.

Soberwolf 01-14-2016 05:34 AM

Welcome Adefree