Notices

Are You Ready To Change For a Better You?

Old 01-12-2016, 07:55 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Are You Ready To Change For a Better You?

As I do my daily 25 minutes of reading this morning, I came across this and thought I should share with you guys. It’s a story about a man that had to dealt with many failures and turned his life around. One issue was alcoholism:

In 1995, a group of friends and family came to Dave in what's commonly called an intervention. In other words, they confronted him about his drinking. Dave had started drinking in college, as many people do. But he didn't leave it behind when he moved into the business world. When the people who loved him called him on the carpet, he was secretly pleased because he knew he needed to change. He went into treatment for alcoholism, and he's been sober ever since.

"The key to making it through treatment and succeeding is accepting that you have a problem— that you drink too much— accepting where you are, and moving on from there," Dave asserts. "The people who go through treatment and don't stay sober fail because they believe they're right. They won't take responsibility for themselves. The key to change is surrender." Dave knew he needed to change, and in the years since he turned his life around, he has seen lots of change in himself. Now continual learning and growth are the hallmarks of his life.

(Step 12: Learn from a bad experience and make it a good experience.) "I realized that I couldn't hang around with my drinking friends and change," he says. "If I went back to the bar where I used to drink, I know the same people would still be there sitting in the same places. They wouldn't have changed a bit. But I've changed a lot in four years."

IT'S NOT ABOUT DAVE

As I write this, Dave owns twenty-four restaurants in five states. And the business is still growing. But to succeed, he has had to overcome a lot of obstacles— and a lot of doubters.
Maxwell, John C. (2007-04-01). Failing Forward: Turning Mistakes into Stepping Stones for Success
Funny thing is that I made a post last night about how going to bars don’t interest me no more (except for the women lol). I still have friends that go out religiously Thursday – Saturday. I still keep in contact but slowly I’m starting to see that this will cause a relapse if I do not change my friends and environment.

What has helped me in my early recovery is going to the gym and isolating myself to do more productive things with my time. It gets boring and depression does strike a lot but I been able to manage for over 2 months.

1 friend of mine is waiting for my downfall and it looks like he can’t wait that I turn back to the old me. “You are no longer fun, why don’t you take one drink?”

I guess some people don’t like change.
Old 01-12-2016, 08:12 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Same here Ghostface, I ditched all planned and paid for trips and parties and had to distance myself from friends, none have tried to entice me back or to go out and all but one understand the situation, he is my oldest friend of some 30 years but since I told him this was for keeps and I've stopped for good as I really need to I've heard nothing further from him, a bit like your friend I guess he doesn't like the change, we're doing it for us though, not them. 60 days for me today.
Old 01-12-2016, 08:14 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by RedAndy View Post
Same here Ghostface, I ditched all planned and paid for trips and parties and had to distance myself from friends, none have tried to entice me back or to go out and all but one understand the situation, he is my oldest friend of some 30 years but since I told him this was for keeps and I've stopped for good as I really need to I've heard nothing further from him, a bit like your friend I guess he doesn't like the change, we're doing it for us though, not them. 60 days for me today.
Congrats on 60 days, I'm on 74 right now, you are not too behind from me
Old 01-12-2016, 08:30 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by GhostFace View Post
Congrats on 60 days, I'm on 74 right now, you are not too behind from me
I'll be more than happy to stay 2 weeks behind you - for life
Old 01-12-2016, 08:34 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Dear Ghost, Unfortunately you are right about having to change things. There are a lot of people, friends and loved ones that I just cant be around any more. One of my old mentors used to say that just because we change doesn't mean the world changes with us. For me that had real impact that if I wanted to be sober, have a life worth living, and not die, I had to change the people, places, and things in my life that related to my use. Another old saying is that if you hang around in a barber shop long enough your going to get a haircut. Wishing you the best. We are in this together. John
Old 01-12-2016, 09:31 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by JohnQPublic View Post
Dear Ghost, Unfortunately you are right about having to change things. There are a lot of people, friends and loved ones that I just cant be around any more. One of my old mentors used to say that just because we change doesn't mean the world changes with us. For me that had real impact that if I wanted to be sober, have a life worth living, and not die, I had to change the people, places, and things in my life that related to my use. Another old saying is that if you hang around in a barber shop long enough your going to get a haircut. Wishing you the best. We are in this together. John
Lots of wise words here.
Old 01-12-2016, 12:38 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Do your best

Excellent post
Old 01-12-2016, 04:22 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Great post!!
Old 01-12-2016, 06:27 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thanks for this great thread, GhostFace.