Notices

Want to take a drink

Old 01-12-2016, 07:33 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Want to take a drink

I have 13days and everything is going great why do I want to go and drink some beer?
Old 01-12-2016, 07:38 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

In my experience, that's your body recovering and feeling good again...I'd also call it selective memory.

Why did you want to quit in the first place? What was happening? How did you feel?

13 days is a great accomplishment. You don't have to answer my questions, just something to think about.
Old 01-12-2016, 07:39 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Congrats on 13 days! You will eventually stop thinking about beer. Hang in there.
Old 01-12-2016, 07:39 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Bad habit, conditioning.

The feeling will pass. It will come up again, though. Just remind yourself you've quit drinking and move on.
Old 01-12-2016, 07:41 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I feel exactly the same. I am on day 11. It is the hardest part of all, blocking out that voice. Does the voice ever subside? As has been highlighted, focus on why you stopped in the first place, has to be a good reason for it.
Old 01-12-2016, 07:43 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

We took years getting as sick as some of us are, 13 days is a super achievement but it will take a lot longer to fully recover.

I would encourage you do perhaps do some reading on this Addictive Voice we have and see how it applies to you, the answer may lie in there.

All the best
Andrew
Old 01-12-2016, 07:44 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
C23
Resident Awesome Guy

Originally Posted by mbrown400 View Post
I have 13days and everything is going great why do I want to go and drink some beer?
IMO it is simple. You feel good, have things under control, and your AV doesn't like that. It steps in and starts to whisper in your ear that you have a handle on drinking and should reward yourself. Think about the Devil on your shoulder from Saturday morning cartoons. I suggest you play the tape forward and think about what drinking would do. Also, make sure you always remember where you were at when you decided you needed to stop drinking. It wasn't that long ago and should be easy to remember, feel ,and internalize.

Don't drink! You are making a great change in your life. Good luck!
Old 01-12-2016, 07:51 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I am a horrible golfer. Have been for 20 years. I took a lesson a few years ago and wasn't making much progress. I asked why. The golf pro said two words: "Scar tissue." After 20 years of bad swing habits, he said, it would take time to work through that scar tissue and re-learn the proper way to swing a club.

Stay with it. You are doing great. You just have to work through the scar tissue and un-learn a bad habit.
Old 01-12-2016, 08:20 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

mbrown, you've made it to 13 days, you don't want to throw that hard work away. You quit for a reason 13 days ago. If you give in and drink today .. you will still need to quit again because you obviously believe you have a problem or you wouldn't be here. Just think it through. Think past the initial happiness you'd get from the drinks and think of how you'd feel hours later. Probably you'd be very upset with yourself and starting over again on a day 1. That's if you are lucky! A lot of people drink again for years before finally coming to their senses again.

Look past the small amount of pleasure and see all of the pain.
Old 01-12-2016, 08:28 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Dear Brown, As others have said, you did not get into this predicament in 13 days so it will take longer to get out. And there is no way around saying that it sucks. You have to constantly be on guard from your own mind that wants to go back to your old ways of being. That's what lots of us refer to our addiction voice (AV). That's why you are doing the right thing by seeking out help. I cant count on my own decision making when it comes to drinking so I come here daily to keep the voice in check. It does get easier but don't sit and wait for that, just take care of yourself on a day to day basis. And if something happens, just dust off and get to it again. If quitting were not so damn hard then this site wouldn't exist. Know that you have a huge group here waiting in the wings to support you and be your cheerleaders. Wishing you the best. John
Old 01-12-2016, 08:51 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I had 60 days before I had my first slip up. Then 3 more slip ups and 60 sober days following that. Then an all out relapse to daily drinking. Back to day 17 now.

The voice never disappears but it gets much more quiet. And even then it's really easy to let your guard down. Take it from me. It's just not worth it. One slip makes the next one oh so much easier. I'm one of thousands on here who had a few here and there and eventually went right back to it.

It does get much easier during the first couple months but you have to stick to your guns and draw a firm line. A couple beers is just opening the door to more than a couple.
Old 01-12-2016, 08:53 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

What our addiction tells us is this: Hey! I've gone 13 days without drinking! I MUST be cured! I feel so much better!! I think I'll have a drink to celebrate.

It doesn't work that way for me. One leads to many. I wake up feeling like crap. I rack up more mystery bruising from bumping into things as I stumble about from the multiples I've had to drink. My headaches and anxiety roar back into existence.

It took me time to develop the habit, it will take time to unlearn the habit and substitute better, healthier habits.
Old 01-12-2016, 08:57 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Why?

Because that's exactly how addiction works.

What actions can you take to respond to these thoughts in support of your sobriety, right now?
Old 01-12-2016, 09:04 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I hope you don't drink. You quit for a reason, remind yourself of that.
Old 01-12-2016, 09:05 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Administrator

You're doing great. Hang on and you can get through this.
Old 01-12-2016, 10:35 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

There's a real side to addiction, the body wants something and we have to fight in the trenches and resist!!

You can do this, thoughts are only thoughts, you don't have to act on them, choose to continue with being Sober!!
Old 01-12-2016, 12:36 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Do your best

Because your alcoholic like me & a lot of friends here your doing superb on day 13 stick close & lean on us