Notices

Day 10 - Really struggling tonight

Old 01-11-2016, 03:51 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Sobriety is an adventure.

Day 10 - Really struggling tonight

I'm sat here on the evening of Day 10 of my journey, I felt it was going well until this point but the cravings are strong tonight. I've not given in to it yet but I'm struggling to push past it this time.

About an hour ago I saw my neighbour going into his house with two plastic bags with around 10 beers in each (the bags were clear so I could see the beers) and it's just set me off craving a beer really badly. I'm trying with all I have not to walk around the corner to the shop that's open until 11pm and buy some beers. I'm wide awake too so going to bed isn't an option. I've made myself a cup of chamomile tea and I'm hoping these damn cravings pass soon.

Trying to stay strong!

Daniel
Old 01-11-2016, 03:54 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Don't drink! No matter what! No one ever woke up sober wishing they had drank the night before.
Old 01-11-2016, 03:55 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Maybe go for a walk, watch a movie just keep busy, remember the past and where that beer led you to and be proud for the days sober you have and the work you had to put in to get there, the cravings will pass.
Old 01-11-2016, 04:12 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

You can do this Daniel . . . cravings will pass, it may only be as little as 5/10mins, but you gotta hang in there, distraction is the key, talk to us here on SR, I used to play online puzzle games until the feeling passed, whatever it is, YOU have the choice and the power not to drink tonight!!

Day 10 is fantastic, don't give alcohol the satisfaction, don't throw your achievement away!!
Old 01-11-2016, 04:24 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Must be something about that 10 or 11 day mark. I wanted wine so much tonight. Went to take a shower and got a nosebleed. Took care of that craving, to be replaced by freaking over the nosebleed.
Can't win! Hang in Daniel - resist.
Old 01-11-2016, 04:25 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Do whatever it takes to get through it, Daniel. Next time will be a bit easier.
Old 01-11-2016, 04:32 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Magsie

Hi Daniel, when I had cravings I went for the ice cream or chocolate, it helped me. Hope you don't give in to the cravings, they really do pass and help you grow stronger and prepared for any more cravings which might come.
Old 01-11-2016, 04:36 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Stay strong Daniel and think of waking tomorrow morning with a clear head instead of a hangover.
Old 01-11-2016, 04:59 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Sobriety is an adventure.

The cravings seem to have past, actually starting to feel a little tired now too, might hit the sack soon and sleep the memory of these cravings off. I'll wake up tomorrow morning on Day 11 feeling focused and ready to keep moving forward!
Old 01-11-2016, 05:12 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Worse comes to worse just call it a night! Go to sleep. Maybe read a book, do some yoga (even a 5 min internet video of yoga will help)... sometimes it is what it is and you just retire yourself to bed. No shame in that especially early in recovery.
Old 01-11-2016, 05:59 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by jryan19982 View Post
Worse comes to worse just call it a night! Go to sleep. Maybe read a book, do some yoga (even a 5 min internet video of yoga will help)... sometimes it is what it is and you just retire yourself to bed. No shame in that especially early in recovery.
I second that!
Old 01-11-2016, 06:32 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Hi Daniel,

Day 11 here for me, but I felt like having wine yesterday while watching football, not sure if it was habit or craving, but it lasted for a bit. I didn't give in. This morning I woke up feeling clear headed, and work was very busy, and productive.

Evenings have been tough for me in the past, so I am keeping that morning feeling in my head, because it is definitely worth it!!

Good for you for logging on to SR, hang in there!☺️
Old 01-11-2016, 10:00 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

For any next times, I'd suggest making sure you have...

some sugary snacks in the house (or the chocolate ice cream someone suggested)

some movies / books lined up to keep you entertained

if possible borrow / buy a wii fit set up - the gentle exercise will do you good, and the nature of the activities can draw you in - the yoga section was my fave, and the skiing

maybe arrange to get out and try some meetings (SMART / AA / whatever is available - check them all out and see which you enjoy)
Old 01-11-2016, 10:49 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Alive in the Superunknown

I'm on day 10 myself, and I've had a few whiteknucklers so far. I tell myself that I'm not going to let the addict in; he's gonna have to stay out in the cold and tough it out, just like he had me doing for so many years
Old 01-11-2016, 10:59 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Please know that it gets much easier. You actually do get used to not drinking alcohol.
Old 01-11-2016, 11:27 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Hi Daniel,

I struggled off and on with overwhelming cravings. They would just come out of nowhere. These are things that helped me: 1. human contact (SR is one source, but if you can also find a support group or call an understanding friend, this can pierce right through the hypnosis of the moment; one time I was so close to relapsing and so I finally called a friend, left a message that I felt a hair's breadth away from drinking but I didn't want to and that I would call her later; leaving the message made me feel safe somehow, because now I had to report to her); 2. exercise (everyone says to do it and I didn't want to, ever!, but I noticed that after vigorous movement, my head felt lighter and the alcohol obsession receded); 3. focusing on the breath (I'm not good at meditating but I do find that focusing on my own breathing and making the breaths as deep and full as possible calms me down and stops the urgent impulse; it's a great anti-anxiety); 4. hanging out with my dog! (now this is a personal choice and I know some people aren't able to take on the responsibility, but caring for and playing with a dog can bring instant relief if you're inclined that way; scientists have proven that even the physical touch between people and their animal companions can be healing. In my case, there's no doubt. I owe a great deal of my sobriety to my dog. So anyway, these are some ways that I got through.....

All the best,

Zorah
Old 01-11-2016, 11:42 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Do your best

You done great NJS