Notices

Day 11 and these drinking dreams are driving me nuts

Old 01-11-2016, 05:37 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day 11 and these drinking dreams are driving me nuts

So, I'm on day 11 and doing quite well. The cravings are manageable and are becoming less and less BUT...

For the past 4 nights in a row, I've been having vivid dreams that have something to do with drinking.

I've dreamed about getting plastered and feeling completely guilty about it. I've dreamed about being on a mission to find more alcohol, yet no alcohol was to be found....and everything in between. Nightmares really. I hope this passes soon.
Old 01-11-2016, 05:50 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Dyl71

I found that the vivid dreams do taper off after a few weeks.

I'm almost at 6 months, but I still get the occasional one. Hang in there!
Old 01-11-2016, 05:55 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I had the same thing and in mine, I took a drink and woke up in a panic - like it really happened! I took it as a sign that I was fully committed to my sobriety.

Haven't had one in a long time...
Old 01-11-2016, 08:30 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I still get drinking dreams after nearly 3 years, I almost believe them for a few seconds after waking.
Old 01-11-2016, 08:32 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Don't let it worry you. They are just dreams. Your mind is working things out in your sleep.
Old 01-11-2016, 08:46 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
C23
Resident Awesome Guy

Originally Posted by jaybee1 View Post
So, I'm on day 11 and doing quite well. The cravings are manageable and are becoming less and less BUT...

For the past 4 nights in a row, I've been having vivid dreams that have something to do with drinking.

I've dreamed about getting plastered and feeling completely guilty about it. I've dreamed about being on a mission to find more alcohol, yet no alcohol was to be found....and everything in between. Nightmares really. I hope this passes soon.
I am on day 78 and I have had 4-5 true nightmares. My wife has had to wake me from them 3 times now. Full on screaming, crying and everything. Only one was about drinking, the others were about death. I posted about my dream the other day. Here is what I found about drinking in a dream:

It has been suggested that relapse dreams can be beneficial in a number of ways. This is particularly likely if the person wakes up feeling disquieted by the dream. This reaction is evidence that they are taking their recovery seriously, and that they cherish their sobriety. It can be a good reminder of what might lay in store if they do not do the right things in recovery. It may motivate them to redouble their efforts, and this is always going to be a good thing.

Hope this helps.
Old 01-11-2016, 08:48 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Although I do not experience drinking dreams at least that I remember, I have had some wild dreams early in recovery, I am only 30 days but the dreams that I remember have become happier dreams. I shared with my GF this morning I had one last night I took our dogs on a hike, it's pretty muddy here at the moment due to a storm, anyhow her dog (golden doodle) loves to lay down in mud, muddy water, like he is on a mission to get as dirty as possible which he did in this dream. Not sure who's house we were at but the floors were all white ceramic and very nice, her dog comes in and starts rolling around, my GF and I were laughing, then she said you remember where the mop is right?

So on the lighter side they calm down in my experience.

Andrew
Old 01-11-2016, 08:51 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thats pretty normal. For about 3-4 days after a binge I would wake up during a weird dream with a cold sweat on my skin. Then once that subsides, I get the drinking dreams... those last anywhere for a few days to a month for me. But they do come and go. Just when you wake up, remember, its just a dream. Likely your AV has something to do with it. Its how you control your AV that counts!
Old 01-11-2016, 09:45 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Do your best

Good job on day 11
Old 01-11-2016, 01:09 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Day 11 is fantastic!!

The dreams can be quite the ride in early Sobriety, but dreams don't cause hangovers, hang in there!!
Old 01-12-2016, 05:51 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Checking in on day 12. Feeling much much better physically, and mentally, but the mind f#^&ing vivid dreams continue. Last night I had a vivid dream that I got drunk, and ended up with a DUI. Wow did it seem real. I was devastated. It took me a few minutes to realize that this one was actually a dream when I woke up this morning.
Old 01-12-2016, 05:53 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Trudgin

I still occasionally have them and view them as a gift - a reminder, scared straight if you will of what it was like..........

Grat's on day 12, keep it up
Old 01-12-2016, 06:08 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Recognizes the Beast

Everybody's journey is different and no two people are exactly the same. Having said that 3plus years on I still regularly get drinking dreams. Heck, I even had one last night. They are never fun, but I try to accept them as a part of my recovery.

Anyways, congrats on 12 days, that is AMAZING!!!!