Notices

Is it too late?

Old 01-10-2016, 09:56 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Unhappy Is it too late?

Hey... Im 27 and i have been drinking around 4-6 beers (sometimes 6-8) a day, (light 4-5% beer) for the last 5-6 years straight. Everyday. I have finally realized i CANNOT keep this up, and just have a feeling it is already too late. Like im probably already dead. Not physical, but mentally. Im only on day 2 of being completely sober. I tapered down from 6 one day last week, to 3, 3, 2, 2, and i had 1 final beer the other day.

So far, i havent had any real symptoms besides a short temper and insomnia. I have been using seltzer as a substitute to just having a drink in my hand and it kind of has the same mouth feel. My real question is, without going to the doc, no insurance for one, and two, if i did and found out im screwed, well i just dont think i could take it. Id rather not know if thats the case. I just am wondering, is there is any hope ill live till 30? Im just scared im already dead. I know there are people who have drank a lot more and for a much longer time, just in my head i think im ****ed... Any words would be welcomed.

-thanks
Old 01-10-2016, 10:04 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

No you're not dead!! It's far from too late, friend and you've come to a good place. Good for you for seeking help...
Old 01-10-2016, 10:04 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
You can have reasons, or you can have results, but you can't have both.

No, it's not too late. But the fact you're posting here means the hour is coming.

I lived and thought like you, and I lived until 49, and now my clock is up. I've quit for a a few times, and now for the final time.

Quit now. Get medical help. We're here to help you. Quit now.
Old 01-10-2016, 10:05 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Davey

I hope you reconsider about the Dr because the only way you're really going to put your fears to rest is by seeing one and having a complete physical, insurance or not.

I thought I was marked for death too. I was 40 but turns out I'm still here nearly 10 years later.

I think it's very very unlikely it's too late for you physically - but like I say I'm not a Dr so that's all it is, a thought..

D
Old 01-10-2016, 10:32 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thanks all, im glad i found this site. Its very encouraging to hear others success. As for the doctor, you are right Dee in that it would probably be the best thing to do, i just do not know when or how i could get there anytime soon. I have always lived life saying i dont care when i died, because ive had a parent pass when i was young and i just felt it to be inevitable. I know i didnt mean it, but now i really do not want to go. I just wish i could get away and leave everything behind. Start again, but that is just a dream, its not realistic. I need to get straight. Nothing seems to excite me anymore, and i feel i have no wonder in my heart anymore. I do not want to be this young and bitter. I just hope that it has just been the drink thats been keeping me suppressed and its really not what i should be thinking and feeling. :/
Old 01-10-2016, 10:46 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Unless you make a real poor choice between here and 30, youre alright.
Old 01-10-2016, 10:48 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

6 beers a day and you're in your 20's...You'll be fine. I drank much more than that for longer and I had zero complications physically. of course, you may want to be sure and ser a doctor
Old 01-10-2016, 11:00 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by daveyjohnson View Post
Thanks all, im glad i found this site. Its very encouraging to hear others success. As for the doctor, you are right Dee in that it would probably be the best thing to do, i just do not know when or how i could get there anytime soon. I have always lived life saying i dont care when i died, because ive had a parent pass when i was young and i just felt it to be inevitable. I know i didnt mean it, but now i really do not want to go. I just wish i could get away and leave everything behind. Start again, but that is just a dream, its not realistic. I need to get straight. Nothing seems to excite me anymore, and i feel i have no wonder in my heart anymore. I do not want to be this young and bitter. I just hope that it has just been the drink thats been keeping me suppressed and its really not what i should be thinking and feeling. :/
What you describe could be the effects the beer has had(depressant ), but could also be depression... I had a bad relapse last year that got me into the ER... I'm still paying out of my pocket but they will work with you on making payments... AND get this- I have insurance!!!!!

Point is- your health is priceless...

The doctors and nurses were amazing... Simply amazing

That ER visit changed me... In a good way... I'm lucky to be alive really...
Old 01-11-2016, 12:40 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hi davey, if you stick to the seltzer you shouldn't have anything to worry about. See how a year sober does ya and if you haven't re-found your wonder and don't feel better then re-asses and maybe see a counselor or doctor. If you feel at all in immediate danger, of course, go see a doc asap. Your brain can heal as mine did as long as we stay sober. Good luck!
Old 01-11-2016, 01:28 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Do your best

Welcome Davey
Old 01-11-2016, 01:34 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family. I hope you can see a doctor for a complete physical exam. That's the only way to know the state of your health.
Old 01-11-2016, 01:42 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Sober since 10th April 2012

I have always lived life saying i dont care when i died, because ive had a parent pass when i was young and i just felt it to be inevitable. I know i didnt mean it, but now i really do not want to go. I just wish i could get away and leave everything behind. Start again, but that is just a dream, its not realistic. I need to get straight. Nothing seems to excite me anymore, and i feel i have no wonder in my heart anymore. I do not want to be this young and bitter. I just hope that it has just been the drink thats been keeping me suppressed and its really not what i should be thinking and feeling. :/
What you're describing sounds a lot like depression:

- thinking you're going to die soon (you're not, barring accidents)
- nothing excites you
- no wonder in your heart
- wanting to drop out

Good news is that depression is treatable, and you may improve spontaneously when you stop drinking. Also good, you've decided you want to live. There are quite a few websites which give information about depression, and even some that put you through a program to help you get through it.

I've suffered from depression all my life and I live with it quite successfully with treatment. I can honestly say that sobriety didn't make it go away, but it did do a lot for my self-esteem, enough that I won't go back to drinking.

If you really can't afford a doctor I suggest you stop drinking, make some positive changes to your life, even small changes, save up for to see a doctor and keep posting on SR.

Dying from the effects of alcohol is a terrible ordeal and, believe me, you'd know if it was happening to you.
Old 01-11-2016, 02:02 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum Davey!!
Old 01-11-2016, 08:21 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Thanks for the advice and welcome everyone, seriously. It really helps knowing that people have been in similar situations. I know it may seem obvious, but until you are actually there yourself, i guess you dont realize it... Id be lying if i said i didnt have a bit of depression, and the alcohol most probably has exacerbated it.

On the positive, i have noticed that even in the few days sober, (which feels like no days have past) i have had a much larger appetite, which in my case is very good being already a bit under weight. I wouldnt mind getting a bit heavier in all seriousness. Hopefully i can stick to being sober as i hard as i stuck to drinking.

It really sucks this morning though... to wake up and hear David Bowie died, of all things, liver cancer. Life is so ridiculous sometimes
Old 01-11-2016, 08:25 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Wow great for you on deciding to get clean. I don't know your health status but getting sober wont kill you, quite the opposite. After a while life becomes much better. There is often some depression or mental struggles when stopping using a substance for so long. Its hard but worth it. Bless you in your attempt. John
Old 01-11-2016, 08:47 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Honestly, no one here can tell you if it is too late, or you are just fine. We can all speculate until the dogs come home. But if you were drinking at least a sixer a day then that is what around $6 per day? $40 a week? $200 a month? Well $200 should be able to get you into a health clinic and a liver blood test just to see where you are. Lots of place help people without insurance.

So I would strongly suggest that you bite the bullet, go to a health clinic and take it from there. Thats the only way you will truly know what is going on.

Good job taking the first step to quitting. Now its time to leave it all behind. For good.
Old 01-11-2016, 09:04 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

That is true, jryan. I guess i never thought of the actually amount spent... It sounds nuts now. Maybe i can swing it sometime soon. Its just a scary thought. I hate going to the doctor or the dentist anyway, but i know it is for the best.
Old 01-11-2016, 10:56 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Hi & Welcome Davey
Old 01-11-2016, 11:58 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Davey , no way is it to late...I am 45 , been throwing back beers on and off throughout my life..Drinking 12+ beers every day for 10 years up until last November...Lasted 6 months sober , I messed up June and started drinking a few again...I have recently became sober again in December...Every blood test , abdominal catscan and head MRI have come back back clean Thankfully...

Humans are tough critters to say the least..I wish I quit around 30 , trust me...Congrats on your sober time..Stick with it.. Your body , mind and family will thank you ..
Old 01-11-2016, 12:20 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

That is true, jryan. I guess i never thought of the actually amount spent... It sounds nuts now. Maybe i can swing it sometime soon. Its just a scary thought. I hate going to the doctor or the dentist anyway, but i know it is for the best.
Yeah it puts it into perspective huh? I did the math, without bar tabs, and it is astonishing how much I would spend to end up pissing it out and making me feel sick the next day.