Notices

Another Day 1 :(

Old 01-10-2016, 08:44 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Another Day 1 :(

I'm back. After almost 5 months being sober, I fell completely off the wagon at a Melbourne Cup Luncheon late last year. Stupidly I felt strong enough to have some champagne with lunch, so no-one would know that I have a drinking problem.
Well here i am..What a spiral ever since. I am now drinking 2 bottles of wine every night and more on weekend. I'm at my breaking point. I am seeing a Dr tonight who has previously mentioned naltrexone to me as an option, but I'm terrified.
Hung over at work now..I just know I cannot drink again. Scared about the withdrawals again... I have to do this for the sake of my 2 boys. They spoke to me last night about my drinking and that they are worried about me(they are 14 and 15)I'll be staying very close to SR again, and hopefully i will get through this.
Old 01-10-2016, 08:48 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
C23
Resident Awesome Guy

Nic, i first wanted to get sober for my 4 children (11,10,6,2) but it wasnt until i wanted to get sober for myself that i have been really able to stick with it. Just food for thought. Welcome back and good luck!
Old 01-10-2016, 08:50 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by C23 View Post
Nic, i first wanted to get sober for my 4 children (11,10,6,2) but it wasnt until i wanted to get sober for myself that i have been really able to stick with it. Just food for thought. Welcome back and good luck!
No you're right.. I do want to get sober for me too. I'm just scared i guess x
Old 01-10-2016, 08:58 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Nothing Left to do but Smile.

Congratulations on deciding to give up the drinking! I'm sure having your kids talk to you was an eye opener. Sometimes that's what we need. What led to your relapse and how will it be different this time? Got a plan? Stay close to SR for a while. It was a badly needed friend when I first quit.
Old 01-10-2016, 09:03 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by duane1 View Post
Congratulations on deciding to give up the drinking! I'm sure having your kids talk to you was an eye opener. Sometimes that's what we need. What led to your relapse and how will it be different this time? Got a plan? Stay close to SR for a while. It was a badly needed friend when I first quit.
I think i just became complacent with my sobriety last time. I felt like I was coping well then I started questioning if I really did have an alcohol problem-this led me to CHOOSE to take the drink again. Clearly I have a very big problem lol! I really have no plan yet. I will make my doctor's appointment after work and hopefully put some plans in place. My plan for now is to take all of my leftover alcohol to my Mum's place. And to not buy any more.
Old 01-10-2016, 09:14 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Adventurer

It's great your looking to get back to being sober. What are you going to do differently this time so you don't slip again?
Old 01-10-2016, 09:18 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by sva777 View Post
It's great your looking to get back to being sober. What are you going to do differently this time so you don't slip again?
I think I will have to make sure I stay vigilant and don't let my guard down again. I obviously can never be a social drinker as I have no off switch.
Old 01-10-2016, 09:21 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Nothing Left to do but Smile.

I'm at 3 1/2 years with no plan other than telling myself, I can never have a drink of alcohol again! My health fading had me at the crossroads. Listen to the people around here. They've been through what you're going through and have come out the other side. Good luck!
Old 01-10-2016, 09:22 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by duane1 View Post
I'm at 3 1/2 years with no plan other than telling myself, I can never have a drink of alcohol again! My health fading had me at the crossroads. Listen to the people around here. They've been through what you're going through and have come out the other side. Good luck!
Thankyou
Old 01-10-2016, 09:36 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Nic233 View Post
I'm back. After almost 5 months being sober, I fell completely off the wagon at a Melbourne Cup Luncheon late last year. Stupidly I felt strong enough to have some champagne with lunch, so no-one would know that I have a drinking problem.
Well here i am..What a spiral ever since. I am now drinking 2 bottles of wine every night and more on weekend. I'm at my breaking point. I am seeing a Dr tonight who has previously mentioned naltrexone to me as an option, but I'm terrified.
Hung over at work now..I just know I cannot drink again. Scared about the withdrawals again... I have to do this for the sake of my 2 boys. They spoke to me last night about my drinking and that they are worried about me(they are 14 and 15)I'll be staying very close to SR again, and hopefully i will get through this.
You may find the AA big book a useful read as it has an excellent read in chapter 3 which demonstrates why we can not fool ourselves into thinking we can have just one drink. Don't drink for today, taking each day at a time. You can do this! 12 months until I could be around functions involving alcohol and I still found it hard, but the rewards of not feeling the way you do now far out weighs the couple of mins high and then the desperation of the next few hours searching for that same feeling again, plus hangovers! Need I say more? Learn some coping strategies, get anyone you trust who you could tell to support you and post here when you feel vulnerable. You can do this!
Old 01-10-2016, 09:39 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Buggirl View Post
You may find the AA big book a useful read as it has an excellent read in chapter 3 which demonstrates why we can not fool ourselves into thinking we can have just one drink. Don't drink for today, taking each day at a time. You can do this! 12 months until I could be around functions involving alcohol and I still found it hard, but the rewards of not feeling the way you do now far out weighs the couple of mins high and then the desperation of the next few hours searching for that same feeling again, plus hangovers! Need I say more? Learn some coping strategies, get anyone you trust who you could tell to support you and post here when you feel vulnerable. You can do this!
Thanks I might look into that AA book- I need all the help I can get !!
Old 01-10-2016, 09:46 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm really glad you're back Nic.
It's often hard to get sober again after a longish relapse - do look into whatever you think might help - leave no stone unturned.

Being vigiliant is a great thing but you might want to break that down a little and work out exactly what that might mean for you?

D
Old 01-10-2016, 09:53 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
I'm really glad you're back Nic.
It's often hard to get sober again after a longish relapse - do look into whatever you think might help - leave no stone unturned.

Being vigiliant is a great thing but you might want to break that down a little and work out exactly what that might mean for you?

D
Yes you're right. It seems harder.. I have been putting this off for weeks with every excuse in the book. Christmas, My birthday, New Years... I will definitely try and put more thought and plans in place.
I just need to get through tonight first of all...
Old 01-11-2016, 01:42 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Do your best

Welcome bk
Old 01-11-2016, 01:51 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome back! I'm glad you're giving sobriety another go.
Old 01-11-2016, 03:08 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by soberwolf View Post
Welcome bk
Old 01-11-2016, 03:09 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by least View Post
Welcome back! I'm glad you're giving sobriety another go.
Thanks least- me too
Old 01-11-2016, 03:53 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Good Morning Nic,

Glad to see you are working on staying sober and believe in yourself as you can do it.

The comments your children made struck a cord with me, as a single parent I can reflect and recall conversations my kids had with me about my drinking as well but you are ahead of where I was because I wasn't ready to admit I was powerless, it had a death grip on my life.

My kids are now 26 and 24, my daughter hasn't spoken to me in months and my son only started speaking to me again last week. As our children grow older and wiser then hold us accountable and in my case the drinking was really hurting them as they could see my world falling apart, it's a road I wish I had never gone down but it is the past and as it has been said on here the future is still clear, I write it and it will be written as the sober happy me.

Wishing you the best, the doc is always a great start, AA in person, Sponsor, SR and AA Online are just some of the tools I am using to aid in my recovery.

All the best
Andrew
Old 01-11-2016, 03:57 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

If you find the AA Big Book a bit of a big lump to swallow at this stage, you could try reading their smaller book Living Sober. It's got a lot of very practical advice in it. You might find it a helpful way to build a bridge back to sobriety.
Old 01-11-2016, 04:06 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ALinNS View Post
Good Morning Nic,

Glad to see you are working on staying sober and believe in yourself as you can do it.

The comments your children made struck a cord with me, as a single parent I can reflect and recall conversations my kids had with me about my drinking as well but you are ahead of where I was because I wasn't ready to admit I was powerless, it had a death grip on my life.

My kids are now 26 and 24, my daughter hasn't spoken to me in months
and my son only started speaking to me again last week. As our children grow older and wiser then hold us accountable and in my case the drinking was really hurting them as they could see my world falling apart, it's a road I wish I had never gone down but it is the past and as it has been said on here the future is still clear, I write it and it will be written as the sober happy me.

Wishing you the best, the doc is always a great start, AA in person, Sponsor, SR and AA Online are just some of the tools I am using to aid in my recovery.

All the best
Andrew
Hi Andrew,
I'm a single Mum too so it is difficult ,especially when I'm letting us all down so much.
The doc was good. Prescribed some Valium for withdrawals and wants me to start naltrexone tomorrow for cravings.
I will definitely try getting a better support network this time round. Right now I'm feeling like crap..just need to ride out the next few days :-)