Notices

Another Day 1 :(

Old 01-11-2016, 04:07 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by endlesspatience View Post
If you find the AA Big Book a bit of a big lump to swallow at this stage, you could try reading their smaller book Living Sober. It's got a lot of very practical advice in it. You might find it a helpful way to build a bridge back to sobriety.
Thanks- I've never been to AA so am not familiar with anything... I will s art reading being SR once start feeling well again
Old 01-11-2016, 04:19 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Welcome back and glad you are here. I am also in the January 2016 group and am here to support you! I have 2 boys as well, but much younger. I can only imagine how heart breaking it must have been to hear them say that.
Doing this for YOU comes first but man, doing it for our kids is huge.
Hang in there this week and keep coming back here when you need and want to...
Old 01-11-2016, 04:20 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

I am right there with you. I said "after the holidays," and now, with the holidays definitely passed, I need to confront my reality. Day 1.
Old 01-11-2016, 04:34 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Sunflowerlife View Post
Welcome back and glad you are here. I am also in the January 2016 group and am here to support you! I have 2 boys as well, but much younger. I can only imagine how heart breaking it must have been to hear them say that.
Doing this for YOU comes first but man, doing it for our kids is huge.
Hang in there this week and keep coming back here when you need and want to...
It's really helping me by staying close to SR for now,- it's good to know so many people have made it through the other end - good luck sunflower- keep me posted how you're getting along too
Old 01-11-2016, 04:35 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by FearlessChase View Post
I am right there with you. I said "after the holidays," and now, with the holidays definitely passed, I need to confront my reality. Day 1.
Yes all of a sudden we run out of excuses of why NOT to quit- good luck on your day one too :-)
Old 01-11-2016, 04:59 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Nic233 View Post
I obviously can never be a social drinker as I have no off switch.
That be me.
How to kill a hangover? Have a drink. Just one more....just one more....just one more.
Hooray for you for quitting-albeit again.
Then I figured near-beer would be OK. The I found that near-beer was too near to the conditions that would start the "just one more" syndrome.
Water is my friend and that's the story I'm stickin' with.
Good for you. Good for me. Good for all of you!
Old 01-11-2016, 08:42 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Welcome back Nic!!
Old 01-11-2016, 02:22 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Nic233 View Post
No you're right.. I do want to get sober for me too. I'm just scared i guess x
Nic, not sure if this will help you, but fear was a major motivator for me. I had one major bender and a smaller one after that. The first time I sobered up from a bender I was scared to death and had the feeling of impending doom. I didn't understand it. The second time, I knew, after doing some research it was purely alcohol related. So I get being scared. The other major motivator was my weekend drinking became a lot of work and made the beginning of every week a hassle. Much more difficult that it needed to be. I also go hurt pretty bad while drunk, so its was time. My point is, I understand being scared, but you can do it. Once you get through it, the fear is gone and you don't have to do it again. I'm sure you know that as you've been sober before.
Old 01-12-2016, 10:55 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Hi there,

I'm 2 days into taking nalmefene which is the UK equivalent of naltrexone for reducing alcohol intake. My sister is also in Melbourne and is one week into naltrexone.

We are both working Mum's with houses, job, families but wine was like nectar of the gods and I got up to 2 bottles a night at my worst. It's early days but drinking on this nalmefene (2 hours after taking it) is so different, it tastes so different, there is no craving for more, I cannot believe how quickly this works. Read up about it "reducing" alcohol intake and pharmacological extinction, it makes very interesting reading. Glad you got the prescription, I think this is going to help a lot of people.
Old 01-12-2016, 11:11 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by foreverfuzzy View Post
Hi there,

I'm 2 days into taking nalmefene which is the UK equivalent of naltrexone for reducing alcohol intake. My sister is also in Melbourne and is one week into naltrexone.

We are both working Mum's with houses, job, families but wine was like nectar of the gods and I got up to 2 bottles a night at my worst. It's early days but drinking on this nalmefene (2 hours after taking it) is so different, it tastes so different, there is no craving for more, I cannot believe how quickly this works. Read up about it "reducing" alcohol intake and pharmacological extinction, it makes very interesting reading. Glad you got the prescription, I think this is going to help a lot of people.
HI there,
Yes I have taken it for the second time today and am actually not feeling soooo bad. I have had to quit altogether as I have tried to taper my drinking and it's just not possible for me. I was drinking 2 bottles of wine every single night but on weekend starting early and was sometimes able to sink 3+ bottles. Just so out of control. Not sure how I have managed to keep it together on the surface as I'm a single Mum of 2 teens, and somehow manage to pay all my bills and hold down a full time job. It's so exhausting though and I am fed up of hangovers and constant anxiety that goes with drinking so much.
I've avoided reading the information on the naltrexone so far as feel to anxious and wired trying to go through the withdrawls.. If the side effects were too severe i know i wouldn'ttake it! Best to take the tablets blindly and hope for the best! haha
Let me know how you get on with cutting back on your drinking. DO you hope to stop altogether at some point?
Old 01-12-2016, 11:19 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

I hope to get to a point where I'm in control. Previously, after the first drink, all bets were off. I stopped in September for 7 weeks after a stay at home detox but I felt like I was missing out by not drinking. I want a healthy relationship with alcohol, I know that sounds far fetched but if it's really possible with this drug then I'm going to give it a shot! I'm very honest with my partner, my doctor and myself. I meticulously log my drinking every morning and if this doesn't work then I may be looking at Antabuse which I really consider end of the road stuff.

I feel calm around alcohol so far which is something I haven't felt for many years.
Old 01-12-2016, 11:26 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by foreverfuzzy View Post
I hope to get to a point where I'm in control. Previously, after the first drink, all bets were off. I stopped in September for 7 weeks after a stay at home detox but I felt like I was missing out by not drinking. I want a healthy relationship with alcohol, I know that sounds far fetched but if it's really possible with this drug then I'm going to give it a shot! I'm very honest with my partner, my doctor and myself. I meticulously log my drinking every morning and if this doesn't work then I may be looking at Antabuse which I really consider end of the road stuff.

I feel calm around alcohol so far which is something I haven't felt for many years.
I used to also want to have a normal relationship with alcohol and I think that's when i relapsed last time hoping that after 5 months being sober a glass of wine wouldn't hurt- Since that day i am now back at day 3!! I read on here about it being a progressive disease and i couldn't agree more.