Notices

Day 1 again (I think )

Old 01-10-2016, 03:36 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
You can have reasons, or you can have results, but you can't have both.

My relapses have also happened during "free time/no special plans," so maybe the lesson here is that this can be dangerous during early sobriety.

I'm starting my program tomorrow, and the recovery coach warned me that I would be kept very, very busy for good reason.

Definitely, going forward, I'll try to keep myself busy in the first days and weeks. Do you think that would be helpful for you too?

Glad you're back on the horse!!!! :-)
Old 01-10-2016, 03:42 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  
p***enger

Hi csaw --

You sound like me when I got to this site. I'd known I had a problem with alcohol for at least 16 years -- I remember telling someone I was "probably" an alcoholic in the '90s. But I so firmly believed that being an alcoholic was my nature, I literally had *no idea* how to stop or what it would take. I remember the first time I seriously tried to quit, and couldn't make it past 3 days. Several times in a row. I was shocked!

This site helped me realize that the lure of alcohol is extremely powerful for people like us, and doesn't just go away when we dry out some. If you want to stay sober, you have to plan in advance tactics that will help you get through the hard times:

For instance, you can do a daily commitment here on the 24 hour thread, and/or join the January 2016 sobriety class for support. You can go to AA, or work through AVRT or another program. You can see a counselor. Read a lot about alcoholism. It will enlighten you & bolster your commitment.

In the early days, simple tricks also help. Ice cream really does help with cravings. You can change routines to avoid passing certain liquor stores and bars. Some people throw out their drinking glassware. If you drive to work, you might leave all but your license and keys at home, so you won't be able to buy a bottle if tempted. And of course, I advise you not to keep *any* liquor in the house.

Good luck and keep posting!
Old 01-10-2016, 03:48 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SoberinSyracuse View Post
My relapses have also happened during "free time/no special plans," so maybe the lesson here is that this can be dangerous during early sobriety.

I'm starting my program tomorrow, and the recovery coach warned me that I would be kept very, very busy for good reason.

Definitely, going forward, I'll try to keep myself busy in the first days and weeks. Do you think that would be helpful for you too?

Glad you're back on the horse!!!! :-)
Your right. In the future i will just make sure i dont have any free time and always make plans for my days off to reduce the temptation of drinking the night before.
Old 01-10-2016, 03:53 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  
p***enger

Originally Posted by csaw1112 View Post
Your right. In the future i will just make sure i dont have any free time and always make plans for my days off to reduce the temptation of drinking the night before.
Be careful with that, csaw. You also have to learn to relax in sobriety. Some people try to fill every waking moment with work, exercise, whatever, which itself becomes a problem. Sooner or later you can crash on that, too. I hope your plan as you build it includes some way to work through the reasons you developed this problem.

Old 01-10-2016, 04:31 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  
Administrator

Dee, the pdf you linked me, for some reason i can't download. I dont really have a plan...
You can open PDFs here online:
http://view.samurajdata.se/
D

Last edited by Dee74; 01-10-2016 at 07:47 PM.
Old 01-10-2016, 07:27 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

csaw,
you mentioned how you're really enjoying this sober thing.
cool.
you enjoyed it right back to drinking....something doesn't compute there.

just mentioning it in case you DO decide to dwell on this all a little bit, even though you say you aren't going to.

i found that dwelling on it was not just a road to misery, but also finally part of the most honest looking and seeing.

it's great you're asking for help, and no-one is attacking you.
help comes in different packages.
Old 01-10-2016, 07:44 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by soberwolf View Post
to pretend it didn't happen is a seriously bad idea
I have to agree with wolf but don't beat yourself up! It doesn't do any good. Just move forward & learn from it!

You haven't failed if you're still trying! :-)
Old 01-10-2016, 07:50 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  
Formerly ScrewdUpInDe

I'm glad you are back csaw.

I don't think people were make you feel bad for the "pretend it didn't happen" comment.
I think that they are worried that the AV will try and play on that at some other point. Trying to convince you that you can drink tonight ... one day it might not only last one night.

Stay strong.
Old 01-12-2016, 08:29 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Day 3 and im feeling pretty good, but a little lethargic as well. Got the day off and have a ton of housework to do, but im glued to this site and cant get off my butt. Did I trade one addiction for another, much more healthy addiction? Lol I guess housework can wait, hell I never bothered with it before anyway.
Old 01-12-2016, 08:40 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

I feel like i'm doing a whole lot of taking..I cant wait till i'm far enough along to be able to give good advice and help others like me.
Old 01-12-2016, 10:32 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Day 3 is fantastic Csaw!! Keep it going!!
Old 01-12-2016, 10:58 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  
Formerly ScrewdUpInDe

Keep it going csaw.
Old 01-12-2016, 04:27 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  

What are some good ways to deal with stress? I'm having trouble figuring out how to wind down after a stressful day of work without alcohol. When I get home I'm still totally wired, and aching, and I don't know how to calm down.

I don't like soaking in bathtubs..I know thats what all the ladies will suggest lol
Old 01-12-2016, 05:09 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  
Administrator

Some good ideas here csaw:
http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...44-stress.html

D
Old 01-12-2016, 05:18 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  
p***enger

I usually come home and immediately come here. It refocuses me on something besides myself and the cares of the day.

Then I get a hot cup of tea and a snack. I find a little sugar and a little fat give me enough comfort so I feel ok going on to the next thing without a craving . At first I had 3 spoons of ice cream before I cooked dinner (it used to be 3 snorts) but now I have hot tea and buttered crackers!

You're asking the right questions!
Old 01-13-2016, 04:55 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  

What are some good ways to deal with stress? I'm having trouble figuring out how to wind down after a stressful day of work without alcohol. When I get home I'm still totally wired, and aching, and I don't know how to calm down.

I don't like soaking in bathtubs..I know thats what all the ladies will suggest lol
This lady suggests you join a tough gym like Crossfit
that's what I did and it's amazing how some heavy sets with free weights can drain the stress right out of you.
This can be done at home with body weight work if a gym isn't interesting.
See "Convict Conditioning" for some ideas.

It also gets rid of that alcohol flab so many of us have accumulated. . .
Old 01-13-2016, 12:13 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  

Day 4. Very low on energy despite sleeping well. I cut out smoking and sugary drinks along with the alcohol, so maybe my body has to adjust to the lack of sugar?